The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Pastor burns Qur'an and creates protests

Norwegian, Bulgarian, etc UN workers killed

Nemesis
post 1.Apr.2011, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Quran burning in the USA, creates demonstrations that gets Norwegian, Bulgarian, Nepalise and other United Nations workers killed.

For media coverage of the event see:

UN staff killed during protest in northern Afghanistan
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011...g-florida_N.htm

UN staff killed in Afghanistan amid protests over Qur'an burning: Police spokesman in northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif says demonstrators killed at least eight UN employees
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/0...if-killed-quran

UN Staff Killed in Anti-Quran-Burning Protest in Afghanistan
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=126877

Controversial Florida Pastor Reneges And Supervises Burning Of Quran
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/0...urning-of-quran

Up to 20 U.N. staff killed in north Afghan city
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/01/...eedName=topNews

Florida pastor oversees Quran burning
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011...g-florida_N.htm
Go to the top of the page
+
Swedesmith
post 1.Apr.2011, 11:30 PM
Post #2

I feel he is partially responsible for these deaths. If you throw a rabbit into a pack of wild dogs and they kill it, do you blame the wild dogs?
+
Essjay
post 2.Apr.2011, 12:03 AM
Post #3

In response to his actions the next Bible that comes into my possession will be only used for sanitary purposes !
Well maybe not ,prefer something softer and less violent! laugh.gif
+
Investor612
post 2.Apr.2011, 03:49 AM
Post #4

The pastor is an idiot, but the blame belongs on the Muslim crazies who go nuts thousands of miles away over a burned Koran, or a Scandanavian cartoon of Mohammed, and so on.

I'm a Christian, but someone burning the Bible or publishing an unflattering cartoon of Jesus doesn't drive me into a murderous rage.

But a distressingly large portion of Muslims are that nuts.
+
DaveN
post 2.Apr.2011, 08:34 AM
Post #5

Muslim terrorists kill 3000 in New York, causing pastor to burn a koran.
+
hjoian
post 2.Apr.2011, 08:39 AM
Post #6

where do you start? Is this just someone excercising their right to freedom of belief in a so called democracy? How about religeous intolerance and racial hatred? I dont know,so cant quote on US laws. Suffice to say, it was a pretty insensitive thing to do,knowing that there would be some kind of reaction. Some people take their faith very seriously, but killing people just because they are non-muslim is just plain murder. The sooner military forces are removed from Afghanistan the better, though in this case,these deaths are the result from some dumb-arse yanks prank, its highly likely these people would still be alive otherwise.
+
Nemesis
post 2.Apr.2011, 11:57 AM
Post #7

As I said on the story on the front page of the local.

----------
Burning a book can never justify murder.

This was murder by blood thirsty murderers.

It was nothing else.

Anyone who murders because someone burn't a book, drew a cartoon, or did not wear a dress that covered everything except the eyes/face, is a sociopathic nutcase.

In this case, an attention seeking idiot burn't a book in Florida, so Afghani's decided to kill innocent Norwegian, Swedish and Nepalise people in Afghnaistan.

The murders in the case are clearly a psychopathic danger to all in society and need to be tracked down and put down.
--------

An example of how I think and what I believe is this.

In Ireland we have the Book of Kells.

I have visted exhibitions of the Book of kells several times.

I am an atheist, but I appreciate its place in the entire historical culture of Britain, Ireland and Western Atlantic seaboard.

I also appreciate the beauty of the script. I consider the Book of Kells to be a wonder of artwork and have a very high appreciation of the craftsmanship that went into making the Book of Kells.

Fiscally the Book of kells is priceless. Some value it in the tens of millions of Euros. Culturally and historically to Ireland and even the entire Western Atlanltic seaboard of Europe, its value is priceless.

It was written in a monastery on the West Coast of Scotland and brought to Kells as that Abbeys holy book. Coincidentially the purple ink in it, has been shown by isotope analysis to have orginated in Afghanistan, which makes a mockery of claims that no one knew of resource deposits in Afghanistan.

If someone presented me with a choice between burning that priceless and unreplaceable piece of Irish historical culture and saving a dying person who would be guarenteed to die the next day, that book would burn.

To me it would be a terribile loss and I would feel guilty about it, but I would have no qualms about putting a person's life before a book.

I can not understand anyone who will put a book before life.

The Quran is a mass produced book. The print run of it is literally in the millions every year. There could easily be over a billion copies of the Quran, in existance on the planet.

I can understand someone being very angry if a rare and priceless book is lost, but can not comprehend why anyone would kill people who are completely innocent of a book burning on another continent.

A book is a dead bit of processed wood. It is merely ink on dead wood.

A living human being is a living human being.

Anyone who considers a piece of dead wood with some ink on it to be more valuable than a human life, has something seriously wrong with their head.

Leaving aside everyday books like the Tora, Bible and Quran, even a very valuable book to a nations culture is not as important as a life.

For the record I have a 300 year old, hand scripted copy of the Quran which I was given as a gift by an Iman. I have a 250 year old copy of the Tora which I was gifted by a friends Rabbi and our family Bible is actually in script, not print, with very interesting maps of the Holy land. They are kept with several other books I have that are over 200 years old. I may be an atheist, but that does not preclude me from admiring the book of a genuine piece of art, which required many thousands of hours of craftsmanship to make.
+
Stickeroo
post 2.Apr.2011, 04:39 PM
Post #8

I wonder if the day will ever come when Muslims are a bit more laid back. I'm sure many Christians, Jews, or others would be rightfully upset if their religious book was burnt or defaced. But few if any at all would go so far as to protest, let alone start killing people. I often wonder how these people think. Granted that most come from rural, poor areas of the third world but how can people be so mindless as to want to follow a religion that seems to be so full of hate. I'm middle eastern, and my fathers side of the family are all Muslims. I have been fortunate to grow up in a society where you are free to think for yourself and decide to follow whatever religion suits your personal beliefs best. Maybe if I had grown up there things would have been different. I'd like to ask how many bibles have been burned by Muslim hands.
To me, religion is a form of control over the people. Whether it was the Catholics back in the day using the bible to get things done, or the Quran being used today to keep the people at bay. But lets face it, in the big picture, it would seem that religion is slowly dying out...
+
Mib
post 2.Apr.2011, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Burning a book does not justify violence in any form regardless of what it is. If your belief in your faith is strong, then you would ignore such petty actions. If you believe in a higher being who are capable of amazing powers, then you would ignore it. These people who went from protesting to beheading innocent people will be condemned by their own God if you believe in such a thing, which they do, albeit in a twisted way to justify their actions.

In fact, I would want the actions of the Pastor repeated to expose the evil fundamentalists and for the moderates to clearly separate themselves from these idiots. I suspect they are afraid of these fundamentalists and hence the silence in condemning such violence. There is no place for this kind of violence...and such things as a woman being raped in a Middle Eastern country and was then sentenced for having sex outside marriage! This rape happened in a hotel where alcohol was freely served against the law. You also see a Pakistani politician killed when he spoke out against the law that makes it an offence to say anything bad against Islam...possibly leading to death. And that poor woman in Libya who was trying to tell the worlds media that she had been raped by Gaddafis men...she was harassed and arested. That for me is a disgusting and unjust law and means I will never step foot in such countries regardless of how much blood money they offer for work.

So, in balance while it's petty, the Pastor has nothing on how people are being treated by Muslim and in Non-Muslim countries. Get perspective people!!
+
Investor612
post 2.Apr.2011, 05:01 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Stickeroo @ 2.Apr.2011, 04:39 PM) *
Granted that most come from rural, poor areas of the third world but how can people be so mindless as to want to follow a religion that seems to be so full of hate.

If you look at the 9/11 hijackers, the bombers in the UK, and in a great many other cases, mass murder in the name of jihad has been carried out by young men from upper middle class and even wealthy backgrounds.
+
Swedesmith
post 2.Apr.2011, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Bin Laden has tons of money. Of course, he has to live in a cave.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: