The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Dodgy digets and...

The meaning of "ever".

Jamtjim
post 7.Mar.2012, 07:01 AM
Post #1

Now that Trow is back in the fold and as a result we can expect conspiracy to run rife over this forum anew I thought I would share a little piece of information which might just implicate TL itself in a little shall we say "creative" counting.

I would guess that most if not all of the forum members on occasion take a peek at the Forum Index via the link at the top of the page. It can at time prove quite interesting as it not only lists the posts by means of Topic, but also lists who is online at that time. Another point of interest is the very last line which states the most users ever online.

If memory serves me right, until less that a fortnight or so ago, this line claimed that the most ever users online was around 900 or so and was way back in May 2011. Now as of today it states "Most users ever online was 525 on 5.Mar.2012, 03:43 PM".

Ok, perhaps my mathematics is not what it once was, but I'm pretty sure 915 is greater than 525 and I'm also sure that March 2012 is after May 2011 so what is going on?

Perhaps in the weird world of TL, "ever" has been re-defined to mean about nine months? Or perhaps the powers that be at TL central are massaging the figures in order to make it appear that this forum's readership is increasing rather than stagnating or perhaps even decreasing?

Who knows? Yet I smell something fishy and it's not the contents of Baldrick's apple crumble... Is there anyone out there who can shed some light on this?
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 7.Mar.2012, 07:56 AM
Post #2

of no relevance to your thread topic, but you may find this programme interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless
+
John.Smith
post 7.Mar.2012, 08:19 AM
Post #3

900 user logged in but 525 people. That leaves 375 troll accounts.
+
johnjohn
post 7.Mar.2012, 09:25 AM
Post #4

Welcome back JammyJim, hope you had a nice hiatus.
+
Snood
post 7.Mar.2012, 09:30 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (John.Smith @ 7.Mar.2012, 08:19 AM) *
900 user logged in but 525 people. That leaves 375 troll accounts.

That few? laugh.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Mar.2012, 09:32 AM
Post #6

I remember seeing the 900 figure and remembering a figure of of 1100+ a couple of years ago when there was a big thing going on about Israel, which brought in literally hundreds of new posters from Israel.

maybe the numbers are reset after a system reset and it is the wording

Most users ever online was

should be

Most users online in past week/month/year( delete as appropriate) was
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Mar.2012, 09:37 AM
Post #7

but also lists who is online at that time

But not all

currently

267 guests, 26 members,

7 anonymous members

can you see my name cool.gif
+
Jamtjim
post 7.Mar.2012, 09:59 AM
Post #8

maybe the numbers are reset after a system reset and it is the wording

Now of course that is the most likely explanation but then again isn't that what "they" would want you to think?

Seeing as I have got the feeling that we are about to throw Occam's Razor well and truly out the window I'm going to go with the idea that was a malicious plot to defraud the advertisers...
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 7.Mar.2012, 10:15 AM
Post #9

I think that there is also a problem about people being online but not somehow being officially counted.

In the past, I can remember when i posted quite early in the morning when only a handful were said to be online, only to discover that, say, ten posters had just seen it. They must have programmed somehow allegedly seeing it after I posted it.

And, JJ. is quite right to be talking about increasing conspiracies here, as the British Attorney General is looking into cases of people, especially that Akers woman at the Met, compromising the fair trails of people implicated in the phone-hacking conspiracy.

He should be looking at my forthcoming article about UK free-lance reporter Timothy Carroll, former covert BA soldier Thomas Dunstone, Metropolitan Police Authority member Jenny Jones et al. gaining access to my information and me about the problems Captain Simon Hayward was causing the police and the securocrats regarding his alleged assassination of statsminister Olof Palme.

The Met's Chief Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson tried to close down the whole inquiry on December 10, 2009, claiming that Hayward's actions, it seems, were a matter of the highest national security but failed with The Guardían, resulting in the subsequent two years of more cover up.

It so bad now that it has the makings of Britain's Watergate.
+
Puffin
post 7.Mar.2012, 10:35 AM
Post #10

Perhaps TL has multiple personality disaorder? biggrin.gif
+
Streja
post 7.Mar.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Maybe it should say whenever.
+
Johno
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:09 PM
Post #12

Just a note that topics on here get to Google very quickly. And presume that those who then click are nameless. And they are guests. Why anyone signs in to be invisible beats me.. And of course you can see who is present from http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?a...mp;show_mem=reg
+
Rick Methven
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:24 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Johno @ 7.Mar.2012, 12:09 PM) *
Why anyone signs in to be invisible beats me.

A couple of years ago, there was a troll around who took to posting attacks on me on any thread I posted on. I took a look at the active members list and found that he was always on there 'searching'. I worked out that he was lurking there and seeing which thread I was active in and leaping in there to post after me. signing in with the invisible option stopped the immediate post as he had to look through all the thread manually.
+
Jamtjim
post 7.Mar.2012, 12:41 PM
Post #14

I had a similar experience. Perhaps it was the same troll, but alas I cannot recall it's name. Anyway from there on "invisible" has been the way for me!!!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: