The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Perfumes can no longer be shipped by air from Uk

If not sure, blame the EU

Snood
post 3.Jun.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #16

Exactly. I don't know how this myth spread in the first place, ever since pressurised aircraft first appeared, the whole fuselage has been pressurised.

I do wonder why they have a problem with flying pressurised containers, even if you take a bike by air they tell you to deflate your tyres. even if the hold wasn't pressurised, and lets, for the sake of argument, say that a plane flies so high it's in space, in a vacuum, the lowest pressure there can be. that means that relative to the outside, your can of hair spray is pressurised by one extra bar of pressure (as near as makes any difference)... considering the pressure they're already at, 1 bar is not significant at all, the containers can more than handle this, and so can bike tyres.

Of course this example is a theoretical extreme, aeroplane holds are pressurised and they don't fly in a vacuum.
Go to the top of the page
+
Hisingen
post 3.Jun.2013, 05:15 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 2.Jun.2013, 09:23 PM) *
FYI: The cargo hold on airliners is pressurized.

I stand corrected - well to some extent any way. Long time since I last flew ! ! But I was basing my supposition more or less on the following:-

http://www.icao.int/safety/DangerousGoods/...WP.016.2.en.pdf

Which may or may not be out of date regarding authenticity and validity today.
+
Yorkshireman
post 3.Jun.2013, 08:49 PM
Post #18

The ban on international packages containing perfume and aftershave came into force January 2013, it isn't about the risk of pressurised containers exploding, it is about the fact that many perfumes and aftershaves are inflammable, especially those that contain alcohol (many). Remember the recent smoking/fire with the battery in the boeing dreamliner! Certain equipment with lithium batteries onside are also under new restrictions either already, or soon.

It is possible for Amazon etc... to send those items, but they need to use special approved containers which would probably mean that the price would be too high for consumers anyway. Trade samples can be sent using those re-usable contrainers though.

The Royal Mail has managed to negotiate with the Gov. in the UK, and possibly from Summer they will resume packages in the post of certain items but only within the UK.
+
hetty
post 4.Jun.2013, 06:18 PM
Post #19

www.fragrancedirect.co.uk still deliver to Europe for £5.50 per order, it just takes a little longer because delivery is by land.
+
hxcpride
post 5.Jun.2013, 10:26 AM
Post #20

yep i just recently bought from frangrancedirect like 2 weeks ago. its sweet! no problem at all.
+
axiom
post 5.Jun.2013, 11:28 AM
Post #21

Try the local ones, you can get a good deal:

nordicfeel.se one I use.
+
Raindear
post 7.Jun.2013, 07:39 AM
Post #22

Can't beat Cheapsmells.com
+
Snood
post 7.Jun.2013, 09:18 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 3.Jun.2013, 04:15 PM) *
I stand corrected - well to some extent any way. Long time since I last flew ! ! But I was basing my supposition more or less on the following:-http://www.icao.int/saf ... (show full quote)

That document was, and still is correct. Whilst the whole plane is pressurised, they do not pressurise to the same pressure as at ground level, it would require much beefier components to do it and put more stress on the aircraft body. They pressurise basically enough to keep passengers and crew comfortable. but the whole aircraft must be pressurised, if you only pressurise half of a cylinder, you get stress points at the "corners"... not good for the whole "tearing apart mid-flight" thing. Passengers tend to get a bit angry when that happens. wink.gif

So in summary, yes the whole aircraft is pressurised, but not at high as that at ground level.
+
Great Scott
post 7.Jun.2013, 11:50 AM
Post #24

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/delivery_information.php
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: