The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Mobile broadband - how many GB do you use?

How to know what data allowance is right?

MrCurry
post 12.Apr.2016, 12:58 PM
Post #1

I'm starting to realise that adsl speeds via landline might not be very good in the tiny village I'm moving to shortly (and fibre is not an available option). Therefore mobile broadband looks like a contender, but all the packages I can see have data caps of 5, 10, 20 or 40GB/ month.

My problem is I don't know how much data I will use, so I thought I'd ask for feedback from people who already use it. Now of course everyone is different and I expect to use streaming tv services, like Netflix, so I'm likely to be at the upper end, but if I can at least get a feel for the typical amounts people are using I might be able to understand if it's a viable option, or whether I will bust the data allowance cap each month and end up spending a fortune.

Also - anyone offering unlimited data mobile broadband in Sweden?
Go to the top of the page
+
Hallander
post 12.Apr.2016, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Can't answer your last question. But as to how much data you need. I like to keep up to date on news and social channels when in Sweden, and for a week 5gb is barely enough, I can get closer to 10gb without trying on darker weeks. The time I wanted to watch a SVT film (couldnt watch out of Sweden) it ate 5gb without trying. So I think your Netflix watching might be limited.
+
MrCurry
post 13.Apr.2016, 07:22 AM
Post #3

Thanks guys. Since I have plans to stream tv and my work often involves video calling from my laptop, I'd better look for one of the bigger packages - I see tele2 has a 100Gb monthly option at 500kr/month.
+
Meridia
post 19.Apr.2016, 09:55 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Savage @ 12.Apr.2016, 01:07 PM) *
Agreed, the average smart phone user will consumer up tp 20gb per month.So you would need more.Netflix Sweden is horrendous, so you wont loose too much data on this as there i ... (show full quote)

The hell?

What are you guys all doing on your phones?

I connect to wifi connections whenever I can(and they're all over the place here at least), and I have a 3GB data package. I use less than 1 every *month*. Generally under 500 MB.

If you're using it as a replacement for actual internet service I could see that if you have a Netflix or Youtube habit, but I can't imagine using that much data.

Even playing something like World of Warcraft doesn't use *that* much mobile data...
+
MrCurry
post 3.May.2016, 07:13 AM
Post #5

Well I looked into this some more and discovered that Netflix can consume up to 3GB per hour at the highest quality setting, and that the quality is set automatically in response to the connection speed the Netflix server can sense when your device is connected. It is possible in fact to limit this to either 0.7GB / hr or 0.3GB / hr (at the expense of picture quality) by logging into your account on the Netflix website and adjusting settings.

Even so, I'm concerned that I may be burning through more GB than mobile broadband can provide per month, as in addition to Netflix I will be streaming all my TV over MAG254 box, watching YouTube, making video Skype calls to friends and family and participating in video conference calls from my work laptop. The internet seems to have developed more and more towards bandwidth hungry "rich media" (video) and I don't know if mobile broadband data allowances have caught up yet.

I did see there is a New entrant to the market, www.net1.se who promise unlimited data on mobile broadband, but having made an enquiry their service is already full in my area.

For now I will use the 200GB/ month option on tele2 at 699kr and see how I go, but let's hope more companies come out with unlimited data options.

Being out in the sticks, fibre broadband is not possible and adsl through the telephone line promises up speeds of only 0.3-3 Mbps, with no way of knowing which end of that range you will be before you commit to a phone line connection, phone contract & bredband contract. Not an attractive option.
+
littleviking
post 3.May.2016, 10:25 AM
Post #6

personally we have adsl and its work well both for tv and streaming and video calls.
we got a good modem from them and we were told if we are not happy they will give us a price of how much buying a sign enhancer would cost to get and install. its been 3 years and my sambo play video games quite a lot and that takes up a bucket or broadband to have
+
MrCurry
post 3.May.2016, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Thanks littleviking. Broadband through the phone line probably is best for most people, but if you're in the country far from the phone exchange it can be very slow. In fact my problem is unless I pay for a phone line connection and a phone contract plus an adsl installation charge and adsl contract I won't find out how fast or slow adsl will be. If it turns out to be at the lower end of their estimated range then I would be screwed.

I could ask my new neighbours I suppose. But I haven't met them yet and going to knock on their door might cause offence to Swedish sensibilities smile.gif plus of course with my dodgy Swedish I run out of things I can say shortly after "jag heter..."
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: