The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish men in relationships how are they?

Please post your experince.

bloom99
post 17.Feb.2010, 08:40 PM
Post #31

Hahaha loving your comment Rick!
"The cleverest, such as my wife, achieve this without the man realising what has happened until it's too late"

My swede and I talk and bridge the cultural differences. He can be cold, shy and acting like playstation with 24 cans of beers sometimes and I guess so do I in different way.
He goes to"nothing box state" on the sport news and heard nothing of what I say when ice hockey is on.
I go crazy with nothing to do while he is happy idling on Saturday.
We try to understand each other everyday, asking questions when discovering new surprises.

But hey, thats the joy... the journey...

Laughing our head off afterwards, its fun!

I must say he walked through my minefield well and still does.

cheers!
Go to the top of the page
+
Amiga4u
post 17.Feb.2010, 08:41 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Fishoutofwater @ 17.Feb.2010, 07:50 PM) *
I am from the UK and have been with my Swedish husband for 5yrs. Can relate to alot of things already mentioned. Does anybody mind, find their Swede a little..well...during an ... (show full quote)

I dont no much about this so i bump for you so that someone else that have experince with this can relate to you.i surely need to learn about all this smile.gif
+
bloom99
post 17.Feb.2010, 09:02 PM
Post #33

Well... well..
Man is just another creature

Watch this. Hope can help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMZ73mT5zM
+
krigeren
post 18.Feb.2010, 07:32 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (Nemesis @ 17.Feb.2010, 12:08 PM) *
Regarding Krigeren's comment about Aspergers, I think he maybe onto something there.

Ha! I was hoping by now I would have been proven wrong...but the trend does not seem to be going that way.

As an aside, I interview a great deal of candidates from Africa, big, strong resilient guys, who more often than not have a Swedish sambo or wife. I have no idea what the trend is regarding this...
+
DidiE
post 18.Feb.2010, 07:51 AM
Post #35

To the OP
After the first blush of love fades away, it is going to be that practical side of your Swedish man that you end up appreciating most. Having a partner who knows how to change the fuses in the fuse box, and who is not afraid to change the oil in the car, and who will agree to share the night time baby care duties when Swede Jr comes along, is worth much more than flowery words that mean nothing, or a studly guy in high fashion who leaves you alone in the dark with a crying infant and no car running.

My Swede is a little baffled by TL, and the need for self-expression that posters here feel. He would be very baffled by this thread, for example, as it is all based on emotional responses. His idea of love for me is to make sure he replaces all the old lightbulbs with eco-friendly ones. I feel like I'm the luckiest woman on earth.
+
Freja
post 18.Feb.2010, 10:11 AM
Post #36

What an endearing post DidiE. Lucky guy you've got, who got you!

And nice to see/read someone who has gone that extra step to try to understand those quirks our cultural backgrounds are possibly responsible for, instead of just slagging things off xenohpobically and simiplistically on the base of stereotypes.

I loved this: "His idea of love for me is to make sure he replaces all the old lightbulbs with eco-friendly ones." Sweet!

Perhaps not everyone's idea of romance, but I think you are right. That is quite typical of how many Swedish men express their love. Moreover, the type of romantic gestures and talk a few people above have refered to (flowers, presents etc) is quite often seen by Swedish men (and women also for that matter) as melodramatic, forced and false. I certianly don't say it is, but just reflecting on how different cultures sees things so very differently. The important thing, for me, is to see beyond the act, lightbulbs or roses, and appreciate the romantic and genuine intent behind it, however silly, insiginficant, melodramatic or practical it may be. That is true romance to me.

Anyhow, I really appreciated your post. It makes me want to be a better partner to my American.
+
Subterfuge
post 18.Feb.2010, 10:21 AM
Post #37

One thing I really appreciate with my Swedish husband is that he is a real handyman. You dont need to hire anybody to fix your faucet nor build a simple kitchen. Plus, Swedish men can bake and cook too and they do the laundry and iron clothes.

But the thing which gets into my nerves is that they not really that hygenic. They wouldnt mind not taking a shower for a coiple of days. And you're right, they wouldnt mind either not changign clothes for a couple of days. Im like her mom who reminds him to take a shower regularly and change his clothes.

About argument, one thing I learned: never ever argur with them when they are drunk or even if they are just a bit tipsy. They will never ever listen to your side.
+
Nemesis
post 18.Feb.2010, 01:47 PM
Post #38

All the points above, I can verify.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 18.Feb.2010, 02:17 PM
Post #39

Ah, the spirit of the "let's generalise about millions of people based on their passports" threads has not died yet then.

Am I the only thinking re the OP that, ya know, if you weren't so busy criticising him he might have a bit better self-esteem?
+
DidiE
post 18.Feb.2010, 02:39 PM
Post #40

Girl. I missed you. Welcome back.
+
Baned
post 18.Feb.2010, 03:49 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Amiga4u @ 17.Feb.2010, 03:28 AM) *
... 1.) His not romantic at all. 2.) dont care so much about the way he dress ,which i had to tell him and he is now making an effort. 3.) I also think very cheap in spending ... (show full quote)

LOL! I first thought your question couldn't possibly be real cause you covered all the negative stereotypes. But I LOLed cause it's true! Ha!

QUOTE (lolly @ 17.Feb.2010, 05:29 AM) *
Yep, . 3 - is he from Smaland? :>

OMG LOL! My sambo's father's from Småland! It's so funny because it's so true!

To the OP: My sambo is guilty of all of that, but the only person getting a frying pan for Christmas would be him or his brother (thank goodness) and it's wonderful cause they're fine with it. I have never in my life met a man that gets a vase or plant, or gift certificates for flowers (thanks to his mormor) for his birthday and doesn't complain or even thinks it's odd. That right there is priceless, IMO. So if your man is anything like mine, then he definitely has other qualities that outweigh it all.

As for the cheapness, it'll be a uphill battle, and his swears he's not cheap. He never buys anything for himself, but it's a lot better than some men I know back in California that spend paychecks on designer sunglasses and buys rounds of drinks for friends at the club every weekend. You gotta figure out what you can deal with and what you can't. But like lolly said, you can fix some things.

For instance, my sambo hates, I mean hates shopping. I would never be able to drag him into a store to save his life. But I love online shopping, it's cheaper and more convenient, and because he hates shopping so much, he's more inclined to wear everything I've bought. So all is good!

Oh and your bf might be saving his money for your house one day.
+
Baned
post 18.Feb.2010, 04:15 PM
Post #42

After now reading the entirety of the thread, I feel the need to add that I also feel very lucky to be with my Swede. He is cheap, but he wants to save for our home, he is stubborn, but I love that about him cause I'm pretty damn stubborn too and I need a man that can stand his ground. My sambo is the most intelligent man I've met. He is very witty and makes me laugh everyday! He enjoys cooking for me, he can bake, and does his share of housework. We have similar interests so we always have something nerdy to talk about. I love how he can think for himself and doesn't automatically follow popular opinion with all the hot topics. I think he's wonderful and I know he'll be a wonderful dad one day!

As for being cheap, I've found that presenting things in a practical/logical way helps. For example, we're looking into photographers for our upcoming wedding, and they're expensive and I know he has no idea exactly how expensive they are. So I collect a few pricelists and show him my favorites - he now realizes that ALL of them charge an arm and a leg so he's happy we're booking the one we chose (not the most expensive, but does better work than the most expensive). He said no man alive has an idea how much these things costs ... I LOLed! biggrin.gif
+
craicen
post 18.Feb.2010, 04:29 PM
Post #43

I think it is easier for a foreign woman to come to Sweden and get used to Swedish men then vice versa. Men should take the women back to their own countries or there will be endless trouble.
+
Amiga4u
post 18.Feb.2010, 05:10 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (DidiE @ 18.Feb.2010, 07:51 AM) *
To the OPAfter the first blush of love fades away, it is going to be that practical side of your Swedish man that you end up appreciating most. Having a partner who knows how ... (show full quote)

you've made a good point here and i must say he is very handy fixing things and helping out when necessary.i suppose i just want him to be more romantic smile.gif
+
Amiga4u
post 18.Feb.2010, 05:16 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 17.Feb.2010, 05:16 PM) *
Most wives, Girl friends, sambos who make the decision to stick with a man, then work surreptitiously to mould the man into their ideal partner. The cleverest, such as my wife ... (show full quote)

i like that and its very true ...it give's me something to think about smile.gif
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: