The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Secondhand Smoke is "toxic air contaminant"

FR
post 30.Jan.2006, 12:14 AM
Post #31

Smoker starts fire that kills 85-year old woman and ravages Table Mountain in Cape Town.

http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=411959

From the article which is available at the above link:

British tourist appeared before a Cape Town Magistrate`s court Friday on arson and homicide charges in connection with Thursday`s fire that killed another British tourist at Table Mountain, one of South Africa`s popular resorts here.
Go to the top of the page
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 30.Jan.2006, 11:42 AM
Post #32

Congrats Kang, well done.

I'm actually a happy smoker, although it's a pain being in pubs in Sweden. Cigs go with beers, that's how nature works (OK, maybe that's just in my world).

One thing that works for me on flights or in long meetings is snus (those little packets you stick under your gum - NOT the icky powder stuff). It's so much cheaper than nicotine gum and helps me...But I guess weaning of snus could then be a problem. On the other hand, I know some bloke who was on nicotine gum for over a year after he quit smoking.

Just remembered something I saw in a pub in Helsingborg: "Having a non-smoking section in a pub is like have a non-pissing section in a pool."

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
dipster
post 30.Jan.2006, 01:00 PM
Post #33

It's incredible really how people so easily accept a nanny states rules.

Basically yes if you visit a bar where people are smoking every night then yes you are going to take in quite a lot secondry smoke, however if you go to bar every night then you are possibly doing harm to yourself in other ways. Perhaps alcohol should be banned in pubs and bars?

But what about the workers in the bar? Well it goes with the job! If you apply for a job in a bar you are aware that people drink and smoke, if you think its too much of a risk then you choose to work elsewhere, no ones forcing people to work in a pub or bar!

Choices adults can make as opposed forced upon by hypocritical politicians & hypocritical non smokers.

Smoke is bad!

Yes and so are fumes from cars and I don't drive so why should I breath in your fumes? I say make cars illigal!

Airstaff die every year in plane crashes! + they are a major contribution to pollution! I say make flying illigal!

I've heard that non smokers die everyday! If this is true then something should be done about this.
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 30.Jan.2006, 01:18 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (dipster)
But what about the workers in the bar? Well it goes with the job! If you apply for a job in a bar you are aware that people drink and smoke, if you think its too much of a risk then you choose to work elsewhere, no ones forcing people to work in a pub or bar!

Choices adults can make as opposed forced upon by hypocritical politicians & hypocritical non smokers.

This is exactly what I've always said. If you can't stand the smoke, stay out of the pub, Nanny!

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
FR
post 30.Jan.2006, 04:12 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (dipster)
It's incredible really how people so easily accept a nanny states rules.

Basically yes if you visit a bar where people are smoking every night then yes you are going to take in quite a lot secondry smoke, however if you go to bar every night then you are possibly doing harm to yourself in other ways. Perhaps alcohol should be banned in pubs and bars?

Smoke is bad!

Yes and so are fumes from cars and I don't drive so why should I breath in your fumes? I say make cars illigal!

Airstaff die every year in plane crashes! + they are a major contribution to pollution! I say make flying illigal!

I've heard that non smokers die everyday! If this is true then something should be done about this.

I am all for keeping the smokers in the bars. I would prefer a ban on the streets, where people cannot avoid being on occasion, and keeping the smoking inside the bar and, for smokers, inside their homes. Forget save-the-smokers and lets just save the rest of us.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 30.Jan.2006, 04:23 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (FR)
I am all for keeping the smokers in the bars. I would prefer a ban on the streets, where people cannot avoid being on occasion, and keeping the smoking inside the bar and, for smokers, inside their homes. Forget save-the-smokers and lets just save the rest of us.

I agree with that. If we could have special bars where car drivers can go and sit and inhale their exhaust fumes so I don't have to.

Seriously though, I think everywhere should be non-smoking unless the owner/manager/licensee/whatever says it can be smoking.
+
FR
post 30.Jan.2006, 04:28 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
I agree with that. If we could have special bars where car drivers can go and sit and inhale their exhaust fumes so I don't have to.

Seriously though, I think everywhere should be non-smoking unless the owner/manager/licensee/whatever says it can be smoking.

Ther e were plenty of restaurants and bars that catered to non-smokers before the law was changed. They knew they had a market. I think it's worse with people smoking on the streets, where one cannot help having to be.

One problem in the USA is the bike paths (I remember Sweden being different, but it may have changed). The bike paths here are always along the road, so you have to suffer the fumes. I remember that in Sweden the paths were not simply painted along the roadways, but set apart from the motor vehicle traffic.
+
*Kodos*
post 31.Jan.2006, 08:05 PM
Post #38

Hey folks...

I'm on day 6 as a non-smoker. No one has (yet) died from my personal pain and anguish. tongue.gif

Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate them.

And, probably to the chagrin of smokers, I'm beginning to breathe a little easier and food is beginning to taste "funny."
+
Alice Is Back
post 31.Jan.2006, 08:25 PM
Post #39

fr I ride my bike 40 min to the university and 40 min back and I would like to point out bike paths on sidewalks are much more dangerous. The wort danger is when autos turn right and cannot see the bike coming on the sidewalk. Several persons have been run over esp. by trucks. Additionally many pedestrians are unaware of the speed some bike riders go and/or do not watch for bike traffic when crossing the bike path on the sidewalk. Finally a cyclist is more visible on the street. I agree it is annoying with the auto fumes but is safer and faster. Riding in the sidewalk is so slow I find.

Also as a tip nobody is required to ride on the bike path in the winter, esp. if the path has not been plowed. You can always ride on the road instead!
+
etuna
post 31.Jan.2006, 08:28 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (FR)
Ther e were plenty of restaurants and bars that catered to non-smokers before the law was changed. They knew they had a market. I think it's worse with people smoking on the streets, where one cannot help having to be.

One problem in the USA is the bike paths (I remember Sweden being different, but it may have changed). The bike paths here are always along the road, so you have to suffer the fumes. I remember that in Sweden the paths were not simply painted along the roadways, but set apart from the motor vehicle traffic.

In the UK we ride on the road in traffic lanes. Keeps you sharp anyway!
+
Mike
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:12 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Littlefair aka Luggage)
Oh sod off in a country that shuns Kayoto they want to whine about smokers I think they should get real.

Global warming is a theory. Cigarettes cause cancer; that?s a fact.
+
Wanna-be
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:26 PM
Post #42

Vindakangalangaloo

What kind of friggin name is that, re-name to; I quit and I'm proud of that. Not like that obscene creature...Holecutter who is still a smoker (cigars) and has the will power of a mouse.

There is if you look a method in my madness, you have to at this stage have signs every way and which way to remind you to keep of that weed. Open up my lungs and the maggots from hell will be loose.

:twisted:
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 17.Mar.2006, 01:32 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Beryl The Ferral)
Second hand smoke is nothing.

Once you ride the tunnelbana in summer, it's the old pensioners you need to look out for. They stink of 'old' and don't bother with deo! Fy fan!!

Well, I've found a way to combat it. I fart, then look shamefully at them :x to make them feel uneasy.

biggrin.gif
+
Benzed
post 17.Mar.2006, 02:29 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Mike)
Global warming is a theory. Cigarettes cause cancer; that?s a fact.

Global warming is a theory? Wake up you f***ing jobber.

Jimmy - where do you play cricket?

Kang - still non smoking?

Witch - glad you still puff when you drink ... er, yeah. I don´t mind going outside for a bit of fresh air to have a smoke (yes yes) and prefer my clothes not to reek of the stuff when I come home after a big session, so no complaints whether I´m smoking or not.

Littlefair - A+ on the Kyoto observation, my main reason to despise Bush by the way.

California - vapid town of worthless sh1theaps.

Fin.
+
*Kodos*
post 17.Mar.2006, 02:57 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Holecutter aka Mr. nice guy)
Vindakangalangaloo

What kind of friggin name is that, re-name to; I quit and I'm proud of that. Not like that obscene creature...Holecutter who is still a smoker (cigars) and has the will power of a mouse.

There is if you look a method in my madness, you have to at this stage have signs every way and which way to remind you to keep of that weed. Open up my lungs and the maggots from hell will be loose.

:twisted:

Hole...

If you're still smoking, please take a drag or two for me.

The only reason for my giving my nasty habit was the asthma inhaler. It seemed a bit counter-intuitive and pathetic to hit the asthma bong and then light up. :wink:

That and the sadistic Dr Pillsbury refused to treat me if I was still smoking.

/Kang
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: