The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Art thief seeks statue resale 'to cover expenses'

Strange case in Malmö

dnynas
post 12.May.2009, 04:38 PM
Post #16

I am not a lawyer but, I am not aware of any real case in the US where a thief successfully sued a homeowner for their injuries. Except where the owner directly injured the thief (set a trap or intentionally wounded). Please don't mock the US legal system with folklore. Just because it sounds plausible, it doesn't mean that it is real!
And people wonder why European’s think the US is a bunch of backward hicks.
Go to the top of the page
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 12.May.2009, 05:51 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (dnynas @ 12.May.2009, 05:38 PM) *
I am not a lawyer but, I am not aware of any real case in the US where a thief successfully sued a homeowner for their injuries. Except where the owner directly injured the t ... (show full quote)

Thank you for citing your ignorance. It is noted

If you don't know, find out. Always good advice.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 12.May.2009, 06:42 PM
Post #18

There are a few cases in the US where a thief has sued their victim and won. Personally - I think its disgusting that a thief can sue for injuries or costs derived in or from the planning, execution, and/or completion of a crime.

I had to educate my wife about "Castle Doctrine" and how it would apply if someone was to break into our house. She was shocked that, if we feared for our safety (and who would not fear for their safety if some jackhole busted into your house), that it was legal for one of us to shoot an intruder. Of course, if you shoot, you dont shoot to wound like they do on TV or in the movies.
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 12.May.2009, 07:04 PM
Post #19

These are state by state laws. If you are in the US, it is a must to know what your state law reads.

Attached Image
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 12.May.2009, 07:23 PM
Post #20

GA is a Castle Doctrine state - I know that! ph34r.gif
+
freethinker
post 13.May.2009, 06:02 AM
Post #21

Agreed. I lived in Maryland for many years, and in that State there are no self defense laws. If you shoot an intruder in the middle of the night you just might be asked..." why didn't you just leave?" Some states are alike that.

Now I live in Michigan. Someone comes into your home here, and you can shoot them. Best to shoot to kill.

If you live in a State with no self defense laws...best to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Just my opinion.

Out of curiosity does Sweden make allowances for self defense, or do crinmals have the right to do anything to a victem?
+
dnynas
post 14.May.2009, 03:28 PM
Post #22

Bladerunner and Roger or anyone for that matter. You keep insisting there is a case where the thief successfully sued the homeowner for injuries, that were not due to a trap or intentional.
If you are so certain that there is a case please reference it...
Or, If you want to save time I can tell you that there are none. The cases where a thief won are where a homeowner set a dangerous trap (real example: shotgun pointed at open window, rigged to a trip wire) or the homeowner chased down the fleeing thief and injured them. Hardly cases where the homeowner was completely innocent.
Again, folklore and wives' tales make you seem like a fool. The US judicial system is not perfect but, it does work.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: