The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Anyone moved back to the UK after a few years?

...the good, the bad or the ugly...

stevegreen
post 10.Dec.2017, 09:23 PM
Post #1

Hi All

Well I'm sure I'm not the only Brit, considering packing the family up and moving back to Blighty.

Not due to lack of work or anything like that, life generally been pretty good to me over here for almost 10 years. Just never really feeling at home and the old longing for home soil. Anyone done it, willing to share their thoughts and experiences...

Cheers
Go to the top of the page
+
Ivor stephé
post 10.Dec.2017, 10:40 PM
Post #2

I left Sweden, best thing I ever did.
Yes its scary, but the payoff is so much more worth it.

Life may be less sensible now, but I went from safely existing in suspended animation to living and enjoying life with all the ups and downs. In every sense of the word.

On another expat forum I occasionally visit, there has been a huge amount of people who are leaving Sweden.
+
Bsmith
post 10.Dec.2017, 10:47 PM
Post #3

I (and my family) moved back to the US after a short stay in Sweden. While I liked many things about Sweden, I missed family, familiarity and good work opportunities. It was a good move and I am glad I did it. Now I can visit Sweden when I feel like it but am not trapped there.
+
stevegreen
post 10.Dec.2017, 10:53 PM
Post #4

which other forum just out of interest...?
+
Gjeebes
post 11.Dec.2017, 07:23 AM
Post #5

We are also leaving, very soon, and although it hasn't happened quite yet, I can already feel myself peeling off the 2D existence as I completely jump out of the page and back into 3D.

You only live once and if you are finally tired of the sanitised mediocrity of Sweden, just get on with it! GO!

And ya, what is this "other" forum you speak of? I would also be interested to learn why Swedes would be leaving their "goodest" country!
+
Cheeseroller
post 11.Dec.2017, 08:01 AM
Post #6

You are not concerned about the Brexit situation?

5 years ago we were trying to decide if we moved to the UK or Germany. Wife and son (both from a 3rd country who are also fluent in English) preferred the UK, while I (a Brit) preferred Germany for economic and life style reasons (I know the country well through business). At the end we all agreed to try Germany for 2 years with the option of the UK if it didn't work out.

The first two years were horrible. Our son hated the German school and became depressed, which triggered depression in my wife. We tried to find all kinds of solutions, medical help, expensive international school. At the end he, just 16, returned to Sweden where fortunately we still owned an apartment. Both he and my wife made a rapid recovery, he is now in gymnasium and thriving. He became an adult almost overnight. This of course means we are paying to run two homes. Had I not owned a business but been employed and tied to a fixed income, this would have been impossible and would probably have led us all to move back - which would have given me depression.

But had we moved to the UK, and given the "progress" on Brexit, I would be highly stressed right now. I would also be highly concerned about our son's long term employment potential and if he would ultimately be able to buy a house.

If we had to move now to the UK now, I would definitely rent and avoid buying a house there - I remember too well when the UK was forced out of the ERM and negative equity. But maybe it is better if you can delay this until it's clear what deal is made with the EU?

I didn't anticipate the problems our son would have, he moved to Sweden when he was 7 and learned both Swedish and English within the first two years (English was mostly self taught living with me) - he is a bright kid with his mothers gift for languages. I also didn't anticipate a run of bad luck - every month one crazy problem after the other, all beyond anticipation, that also lasted two years. Several times I thought we would divorce. Now life is calm, both son and wife are happy and we all have the life style that we all wanted, albeit our son lives away from us. But had we stayed in Sweden, he may have chosen to leave by himself later, and then we could have been too old to move.

You don't mention if your wife is from the UK or Sweden, or if you have kids. In hindsight, I would not move a child after they are 7 years old if they need to learn a new language or preferably before they start school. If your wife is Swedish, it is quite possible she will miss home and can come to resent this. As parents become old and have health problems, this is also a draw to return home. This is one of those situations in life where you can't know the outcome until you do it, and however hard you plan (we spent two years doing our research, visiting different possible areas to live etc), shit can happen.
+
Svedallas
post 11.Dec.2017, 11:47 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (stevegreen @ 10.Dec.2017, 09:23 PM) *
Hi AllWell I'm sure I'm not the only Brit, considering packing the family up and moving back to Blighty.Not due to lack of work or anything like that, life generally b ... (show full quote)

It is not just Expats leaving but Swedes too, opting for a second home...
The most opting for Spain, Malta and Portugal.

There are a lots of Swedes living in Marbella.
+
Essingen55
post 11.Dec.2017, 12:43 PM
Post #8

Moving back to the UK is a tricky one I would say. Much depends on your individual circumstances. Financially there are good times and bad times for this. About a year ago was a very good time from an exchange rate and housing prices viewpoint. However, these factors are now moving against such a move...and the difference can represent a lot of money.

On balance...the result of discussions in our own household is that such a move would involve too many risks. However I share the original posters reasons for wanting to consider it...Sweden never does completely feel to be home and parts of the UK are very beautiful.

Try reading the Dailymail online. That usually helps me to appreciate what I have in Sweden.
+
Cheeseroller
post 11.Dec.2017, 01:31 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Essingen55 @ 11.Dec.2017, 12:43 PM) *
Try reading the Dailymail online. That usually helps me to appreciate what I have in Sweden.

LOL. I am not sure that this or the Express/Mirror/Star/Sun are really representative. Otherwise you can come away with the idea that the country is full of racist bigots. Knife carrying and attacks, open robberies seem to be a problem in London, but not sure if this is a trend throughout the UK. Everything seemed pretty normal when I visited in August. On the other hand, 7 grenade attacks in Goteborg the past few weeks and continued car arsons in Malmö. A German friend of mine visited Malmö a few months ago, all he car windows were smashed while it was parked in the underground hotel car park!
+
stevegreen
post 11.Dec.2017, 03:40 PM
Post #10

Yes the wife is Swedish (although with UK university degree which helps) and kids are dagis age. Yeah the British press helps with homesickness lol, however I work at a major Swedish newspaper and that has the opposite effect...the amount of bad news and serious crime here recently is shocking!
+
Bsmith
post 11.Dec.2017, 03:58 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (stevegreen @ 11.Dec.2017, 02:40 PM) *
...the amount of bad news and serious crime here recently is shocking!

Compared to what it was, yes. Compared to a lot of other places, no.
+
Svedallas
post 11.Dec.2017, 04:16 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (stevegreen @ 11.Dec.2017, 03:40 PM) *
Yes the wife is Swedish (although with UK university degree which helps) and kids are dagis age. Yeah the British press helps with homesickness lol, however I work at a major ... (show full quote)

Sweden today, to what it was say, 10 years ago, a complete 180.
I have personally not heard of so much crime in my life!

It is shocking, and the fact that little is being done, politically.

The blame is on the politicians. There are too many desperate illegal people on the streets, desperate. It is now normal to hear about a burglary, in any area now. Way back when it would have been headline news. Now it is a regular occurence.
+
Essingen55
post 11.Dec.2017, 04:19 PM
Post #13

Going back when the kids would normally start school in the UK might be an option. What opinion does the Swedish wife have? One tends to forget basic things like who would pick up the children from school at 15:30 when they are no free after school activities.
+
intrepidfox
post 11.Dec.2017, 06:13 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Savage @ 11.Dec.2017, 04:44 PM) *
Now I see Sweden as a Mafia run monastery.

Obviously you are not getting anything? tongue.gif
+
Svedallas
post 11.Dec.2017, 06:42 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 11.Dec.2017, 06:13 PM) *
Obviously you are not getting anything? tongue.gif

+1

Everything was going well in this thread, until Savage came along...
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: