The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >   Reply to this topic

Energy consumption in Sweden

Sweden in world top 10 for electricity use

skogsbo
post 11.Sep.2019, 08:49 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 11.Sep.2019, 07:00 PM) *
"It's not what you use but how's it is produced that causes the pollution."Geesus people are thick.Using the energy that is produced, by energy production me ... (show full quote)

No.

Use electricity sourced from wind, solar etc you create less carbon emmissions than burning coal or oil to create the same amount of power. It's pretty simple really.

Ps. I'll give you clue... go look for the exhaust pipe on a tesla.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Sep.2019, 09:15 PM
Post #32

Lets discuss what we know is true:

Many thousands of years ago the ice age began...It was not caused by humans...

Thousands of years ago it ended because the ice began to melt...Again not caused by humans...

The warming is continuing to this day and will continue...

It is a geological event that humans cannot cause or stop...

Don't listen to lunatic politicians that promise to save you from the inevitable...

Move inland and get a big air conditioner!!! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
+
Saywhatwhat
post 11.Sep.2019, 09:48 PM
Post #33

Sweden burns a lot of plastic for energy.

They call this...

“Recycling”
+
Bsmith
post 11.Sep.2019, 10:45 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 11.Sep.2019, 07:49 PM) *
No.Use electricity sourced from wind, solar etc you create less carbon emmissions than burning coal or oil to create the same amount of power. It's pretty simple really. P ... (show full quote)

However, you have to factor in the carbon cost of manufacturing the turbines, panels, etc...but a step in the right direction.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Sep.2019, 01:06 AM
Post #35

What is needed here to stop all this fuss is the loving guidance brought to you by the politician you voted for...

Naturally he/she will demand your complete adherence to the lifestyle they will dictate for you...

Those of you defying their benevolent and extremely well crafted ideas and procedures will be dealt with severely..and deservedly so!!!

Imagine using plastic straws when the future of mankind lays in complete avoidance of that which is produced by the usage of the real villains in this scenario...FOSSIL FUELS!!!

No cars, trains or planes too

Ain't life grand!!! laugh.gif
+
Bsmith
post 12.Sep.2019, 12:29 PM
Post #36

No one is suggesting we all suddenly become Amish, but if we all make a conscious effort then, perhaps, we can save our planet which is certainly a better option than colonizing Mars or some other ridiculous notion.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Sep.2019, 02:32 PM
Post #37

And people still believe that the sky is falling...
+
Bsmith
post 12.Sep.2019, 10:59 PM
Post #38

I don't believe that the sky is falling but I have noticed how the climate has changed in my lifetime. You may say that it is all a natural phenomenon but, as for myself, I tend to side with 98% of the scientists who believe we humans are culpable.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Sep.2019, 11:22 PM
Post #39

It's a "snow job" laugh.gif

What they do not tell you is some people will actually benefit from change, countries once filled with arid/frozen land will now be able to farm that land...depending on what type of change there will be definite benefits in some areas, etc...

A life time is almost/is nothing in geological time...New York has had memorable snowstorms...Blizzards of '98 and 1947 etc, were recently topped does that mean we will freeze to death in a few years???

Or can naysayers say that it's nothing we had bad storms before the recent ones, so nothing has/is changed...

In the long term the warming after the last ice age will continue, we here now will not be alive to see what happens ...

However in my lifetime I can positively say something is wrong with the snow due to climate change...it's harder to shovel now than it was 50 years ago!!! laugh.gif
+
Gjeebes
post 13.Sep.2019, 05:45 AM
Post #40

And again, ignorance is bliss. How much power is actually generated by "innocent" carbon neutral means? And what is the carbon footprint of the manufacture of the tech used?

Why do you think Meatballia did not sign on to the nuclear agreement to cut back?

"Ps. I'll give you clue... go look for the exhaust pipe on a tesla."

Right. And how many 10's of 1000's of km does one need to drive, before one has offset the carbon footprint from the manufacture of the rechargeable batteries?

Some years ago it was already at 130,000 km or about 1/2 the lifetime of the car. And recycling causes its own waste streams, so the Tesla deal where they will replace your batteries also can't pass the test.

And then, how can one know if the electricity manufactured, for the recharge, is coming from those innocent sources you mention? You can't and it is foolish to pretend it's all good, and make assumptions about the energy's origins.

And another gimmick too easily accepted (but without any proof) by your fellow Meatballians, is the energy produced by wasting things that should be recycled? Yes, I'm talking about "burning" garbage for energy.

It is simply kicking the can down the road as it promotes consumption. Why use that thing again when you can buy a new one (which the Meatballs want you to think) and can feel good throwing that perfectly usable thing away, under the guise of "clean energy". Clothes, plastics etc are the main suspects. H & M fast fashion...ya, let's burn perfectly wearable clothes! Good for business!

It is as stupid, possibly even more stupid considering the scale, as getting heat from a thick wire because you force/shove electrons into it, which can't get through due to high resistance, and which are subsequently lost as heat (i.e your electric oven).

You should attend some of the scientific conferences I have been to, to cut the crap out, and see how things really are.
+
skogsbo
post 13.Sep.2019, 07:05 AM
Post #41

Of coutse there are carbon and raw material costs in construction of green energy sources. Nothing will ever be entirely neutral, but even just lowering inputs is far better than increasing them which was the path we were on.

Batteries; yeah a massive problem yet to be truly resolved. Charge time, endurance, rare earth metals, recycling.. all to be over come. But improvements will come and most solutions will be better than an internal combustion engine.

Electeicty sources; I agree it is of less value driving an electric car if your power comes from burning stuff like lignite as Germany does. And if everyone suddenly wanted an electric car there would not be the power available, these things take time.

There are benefits now though, it's easier to catch pollution on one plant than millions of individual cars. That means less pollution on a street level where folk live.

It's easy to knock it, forget extinction rebellion nonsense they are dreamers, we are in early stages of perhaps a 100 year shift towards being near carbon neutral. Many of todays schemes will fail, but that's progress others will work and on we go forwards. It's only by being negative and doing nothing that will stop us moving forwards at all.

Ps. Tesla is a toy for the rich, a gimmick to show what's possible. It has helped make electric cars etc cool and thousands will now buy leafs etc.. thus encouraging tech to progress.
+
Hopgood
post 13.Sep.2019, 08:04 AM
Post #42

Interesting this thread made it to 3 pages already, and not a soul has answered the question posed in the opening post:

What’s your annual electricity consumption and is that for a house (big, medium or small) or apartment (big, medium, small)? Have you increased or reduced your consumption over the past five years - and if you don’t know, are you really making enough effort to reduce consumption?

I suppose this means that people actually don’t know how much they are consuming!
+
skogsbo
post 13.Sep.2019, 08:43 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Hopgood @ 13.Sep.2019, 08:04 AM) *
Interesting this thread made it to 3 pages already, and not a soul has answered the question posed in the opening post:I suppose this means that people actually don’t know h ... (show full quote)

Because it's irrelevant. What matters is the carbon footprint of your household.

Oh look I don't use any electricity, aren't i great, but then they might heat their house using fossils fuel directly, buy in take away everyday to eat, buy all their goods online from the other side of world, collect old diesels and ragger cars... and thus have a truly massive carbon footprint.

The problem currently is it's quite easy to look green, but all you've really done is out sourced your emmisions to another person, business or country. Most of Europe looks greener, but that is because mass polluting China builds so much stuff for us.
+
Bsmith
post 13.Sep.2019, 12:27 PM
Post #44

It's not a contest, anyway. I used more energy when my commute was longer but I mitigated it as much as possible with a small 4 cylinder car that got good gas mileage. You just have to do what you can. If everyone adopts that attitude, a difference can be made.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.Sep.2019, 02:25 PM
Post #45

We are not doomed, we just have to move around, it is not the end of our existence...people once moved away from places that became deserts, went underwater or froze, etc...

So can we...The sky is not falling!!!
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: