The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Americas role in Europe...

Discuss it here...

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Mar.2019, 12:38 AM
Post #1

To begin I will say that Trump is correct in saying that the Americans are bearing the brunt of protecting Europe at the expense of our own well being and Europe is not paying its fair share for their own safety and well being...

What say you???

Let it rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2019, 06:50 AM
Post #2

100% self interest.

Be it to gain power, more trade, more wealth etc.. it might look like it is helping others, but only if the end goal benefits them more. Which is fine, it would just be better to be more open about it.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Mar.2019, 12:11 PM
Post #3

I think the role of world police is costing the US dearly and is not winning us any popularity. With the deficit that we have, we are crazy to be spending so much money outside of our borders. I wonder if the so called return on our investment is really worth the expense.
+
Uncle Fred
post 6.Mar.2019, 12:23 PM
Post #4

It's the same old story, American people are great, their Politian's suck.

I must say one thing that irritates people is the saying "God bless America". Doesn't god bless anyone else and today I would have thought Americans would have put reality above religion.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Mar.2019, 01:52 PM
Post #5

I've even seen American bless God bumper stickers. As if God needs America's blessing...
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2019, 02:15 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 6.Mar.2019, 11:11 AM) *
I think the role of world police is costing the US dearly and is not winning us any popularity. With the deficit that we have, we are crazy to be spending so much money outsi ... (show full quote)

Is the USA only policing the world where it has something to gain. Problems in many countries but seems the ones full of oil or minerals are more deserving of USA 'assistsnce'.

Zimbabwe, ignored. Venezuela... Get the war drums going. Yemen we'll leave that as a proxy war, Kuwait, Iraq, Syria etc.. boots on the ground.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Mar.2019, 04:16 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 6.Mar.2019, 01:15 PM) *
Is the USA only policing the world where it has something to gain. Problems in many countries but seems the ones full of oil or minerals are more deserving of USA 'assists ... (show full quote)

Not entirely true, but mostly that is the fact. Can't see any value to our involvement in Afghanistan. But, yes the American govt. acts in its own self interest. Really not that much different from China's investments all over the globe and a lot more subtle than Putin's take-over of Crimea, and certainly not different than the UK's historical role of colonization. That's what major powers do, but don't, as Uncle Fred said, confuse the will of the American people with the actions of the government. Sure, we elect these jokers, but they are on a short lease and involve themselves in a lot more than us regular jamokes realize. National security, etc. etc.
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2019, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Afghanistan... Bush's ego?
+
Gjeebes
post 6.Mar.2019, 06:31 PM
Post #9

"Can't see any value to our involvement in Afghanistan."

Back door to China.
+
Bsmith
post 6.Mar.2019, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Pretty expensive door.
+
skogsbo
post 6.Mar.2019, 11:50 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 6.Mar.2019, 10:32 PM) *
Pretty expensive door.

Doesn't work either.

Game is different now. The USA doesn't want a door into China. It's too busy trying to stop China getting into every door in the West. The tables have already turned.
+
Bsmith
post 7.Mar.2019, 12:41 PM
Post #12

China has a long term plan, the US does not.
+

Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: