The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Considering Moving to Sweden

Any advice?

Svensksmith
post 16.Sep.2014, 06:40 PM
Post #16

Trumanshow is spot on. When you have snow on the ground from November through May, it can get to be a little much. A trip to a sunny spot for a few weeks can be a great battery recharger.
Go to the top of the page
+
TheaterRaven
post 17.Sep.2014, 02:01 AM
Post #17

makemydag, I'm from southern California, too (San Diego)!

I have also lived on the East Coast of the United States (Buffalo, NY) where there was a lot of snow each winter--usually from mid-late October to late March/early April, so it's not like I have yet to experience a harsh winter. However, having most of the day dark would be something new.

enged, to answer your question, I just graduated college as a double major with two BA degrees (I don't know what the equivalent is in the Swedish school system). One degree is in creative writing, the other is in theater. I actually have a friend in Kristianstad who is involved in theater (the field I'd like to be in), so hopefully once I grasp the language, he'd be willing to help me. I also know that Gothenburg has an English-speaking theater--GEST, I believe is its name--so at least that could be a start while I'm learning my Swedish.
+
makemydag
post 17.Sep.2014, 07:15 AM
Post #18

Well hello former neighbor! That's great! You should be just fine, as long as you can find a job. Would you be able to visit your friend here and see what networking you could do, and get an idea of the job market? That would be my best advice. Come visit, see what's out there, and where to start. Otherwise it is pretty hard to find a job while still being in the US.

With your BAs, you will have to get them translated once you are here, and that is easily done through arbetsf
+
TheaterRaven
post 17.Sep.2014, 11:41 PM
Post #19

Yes, I assumed it would be easier to find a job once I'm in Sweden as opposed to trying to find one there before leaving the States, but of course, I was reading about work permits and it said I can't get one until I already have a job offer in Sweden. Talk about a Catch 22. So I think a visit just to visit and see what's out there would be best first. I'll have to talk to my friend and ask him if he'd be willing to help me. Hopefully he will, otherwise he wouldn't be much of a friend. smile.gif

As for translating my BAs, should I get that done before even just visiting or after?
+
makemydag
post 18.Sep.2014, 07:44 AM
Post #20

I think the translation would be done after, but I am not 100% sure. It wouldn't hurt to check it out beforehand and save time with at least one part of the move!
+
*Melissa in Search of Info*
post 18.Sep.2014, 08:22 AM
Post #21

Hi, Alicia --

I am very curious about your experience at Lund University. My daughter is planning to do study abroad next year for her junior year in college. She has been researching and considering many different programs, and Lund is her top choice so far. Can you share some about your experience in Lund? Thanks!

-- Melissa
+
TheaterRaven
post 4.Oct.2014, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Hi, Melissa,

I'd be happy to share my experiences. smile.gif

I found Lund to be nothing but pleasant. It's a lovely city and the people were very friendly. I was quite nervous about being so far from home all by myself, but I made friends quickly and found myself caught up in exploring and learning new things.

A few bits of advice for your daughter if she does pick Lund:

Bring good walking shoes. Almost all the streets are cobblestones and, even with my worn, trusty tennis shoes, it took a week or so for my feet to get used to walking on them all day.

Also, I would recommend at least learning a bit of Swedish. I didn't know any and felt overwhelmed and lost at first because of it. Even the simple act of going to the store on my first day there became daunting when my jetlagged brain suddenly realized, "Oh, that's right--all the labels are in Swedish; I have no idea what anything is."

If you or your daughter have any more questions, feel free to ask.
+
*przem3kpl*
post 16.Jan.2015, 06:45 AM
Post #23

Yes , sweden is very Nice place if You've goal
Even if you don't , its very Nice place Cause You've much time to Waste .
Prepare yourself also , to take driving lessons as you'll cast your US d/l .
Visits / short term stay is unlike residence / long term stay .
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: