The Local _ Feedback _ This site is a f**king joke!

Posted by: Grahamsmjöl 25.Jul.2016, 07:27 AM

When I first moved to Sweden I had little choice but to visit The Local to find out what was going on and over time as I learnt Swedish I've come to think this has to be a front for something. It can't be a serious attempt at conveying Swedish news in English.

Take, for example, on the front page today, under 'national news' the headline 'Watch the Swedish weather host leave his fly open... on live TV' You're kidding me, right?

Another headline about 'When Alicia Vikander taught us to put our pen in the bottle' or 'The Swedish fashion industry can do better' and so on.

And you wonder why visits to your site are dropping off a cliff. This is the same site who tried to tell us that Brexit would hurt us. Well, if you want to convey a serious message try running serious news articles!

Are you really telling me this is all the news that happened in Sweden recently because after reading through 4 newspapers this morning, they are not!

You are not fit for purpose, you need a major revamp of your business model and, to be blunt, you are a f**king joke and a disgrace to news sites!

I guess you'll delete this post because I know you dislike criticism or any form of dissent, which is why comments are closed on articles both here and on Facebook. You could try answering people on Twitter too.

This site could be so, so good because the original concept was good. But you just got lazy and want to make money from adverts. Sad.

Posted by: Placebo 25.Jul.2016, 08:48 AM

QUOTE (Grahamsmjöl @ 25.Jul.2016, 08:27 AM) *
you are a f**king joke and a disgrace to news sites!

Sums it up pretty well! smile.gif

Posted by: Svedallas 25.Jul.2016, 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Grahamsmjöl @ 25.Jul.2016, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE (Placebo @ 25.Jul.2016, 09:48 AM) *
Sums it up pretty well! smile.gif

I have been saying this for sometime. This is by far, one of the worst "news" online it is an embarrasement.

There is no news. Nothing covered in the Swedish papers is covered here, and this is just a model to sell ad space. This thread will be deleted in no time. As my previous post - which they deleted.

Your articles are just terrible. If you going write something - write quality or nothing at all.

Posted by: Gjeebes 25.Jul.2016, 02:48 PM

Ooh oh...such negativity, not allowed in Sweden! Beware, I feel a certain Hissy-fit will just "have" to chime in on this one! Don't forget, sugar-plum rivers, chocolate trees, gum-drops smiles, and rainbows shooting out of the eyes...anything else and you get far too close to reality...which is of course, taboo in Sweden! laugh.gif

Posted by: andy_fin 25.Jul.2016, 03:27 PM

Couldn't agree more.

You actually have fantastic online presence. I constantly see "read the Swedish news in English" links hosted. We even have it on our office intranet.
There are links to your site on the Swedish government pages and i'm sure i saw it on the British ones.
I'm sure google loves you guys because of the connections from high authority sites, until it scans the mobile version of the site but yeah.
You've got a great position in the market and good digital coverage. But step back and look at it again for yourself. I can't believe anyone is proud of this product or content at the minute.

Read that and see if it fits in with Sweden's news in English
It's not even fit for facebook

Posted by: Hisingen 25.Jul.2016, 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 25.Jul.2016, 02:48 PM) *

Your wish is my command Oh Master of the Heebees! laugh.gif

But it would only be fair to point out that this website has nothing to do with Sweden other than it comes out here.

It is supposed to be Swedish news in English, and as you all have so rightly said (albeit in most unpleasant language), the 'news' content is both incredibly biased and mainly from the last century, and they run the same articles ad infinitum. It makes you wonder whether or not they receive a subsidy, because should they do so, it ought to be withdrawn forthwith if not fifthwith.

As to the forums - there is little to say there that has not been already said. They are one long consistent endless gripe, but that is the result of the gripers, not of the website. rolleyes.gif

Returning to the thread. In my view - you cannot blame Sweden for this.
It is well and truly in the hands of British personnel and yet one can honestly question where their loyalties lie, and to whom. I just had a thought that, perhaps, just perhaps, the personnel are in the category of 'New Brits' whose allegiance is only to the EUSSR..

Posted by: yet another brit 25.Jul.2016, 05:46 PM

Get real people.

As even someone as trivial as JR Rowling had one of the characters in Harry Potter say - newspapers don't exist to champion freedom and justice. They exist to sell copies of themselves.

So you don't like the Locals editorial policy? Fine, vote with your feet. Don't use the site, and don't post on the forum. Then your traffic figures won't appear in their business cases to advertisers!

Think you can do better - go ahead. Start your own. It's a lot easier these days than buying a printing press...

Objectively I find the site a bit (shall we say) rosy-eyed, and as others have pointed out, it is a shame that the BBC (for example) uses the site as a source even when the going gets tough. But treat it as it is - pretty light-hearted rosy-eyed stuff stuff with a definite commercial profile. So what??? No one is asking you to read/post here, anymore than anyone is requiring you to buy the Daily Mail.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 25.Jul.2016, 05:51 PM

Like he said!!!

Posted by: andy_fin 26.Jul.2016, 08:03 AM

I think the feeling is that it's a wasted opportunity and a lot of wasted potential and that's a shame to see.

Posted by: Grahamsmjöl 26.Jul.2016, 08:26 AM

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 26.Jul.2016, 09:03 AM) *

Exactly my point, it is such wasted potential.

I've been pi*sed off with this site for a long while and the icing on the cake was the propaganda during the Brexit vote where lie after lie was written here.

Forgetting that most news organisations are not impartial it was the obvious lies spread that annoyed me the most aimed at scaring people to vote a way that would enable this shame of a site to still make money in the future.

Such a short sighted view. How much does The Local pay people like Savage? I could find out via Ratsit but can't be arsed, whatever it is they must be able to afford it. If they turned in to a grown up new site their revenue would more than double, paying for extra copywriters.

I know 4 copywriters, including myself, who could do the job of translating and rewriting articles into original pieces. It isn't rocket science. Hell just use Reuters, TT, AFP Nordic and the like, which are generic news feeds. Trawl Twitter for local news, the Polis Twitter feed. The list is endless!

If I had the time I'd do it myself, and I might because I already build news sites that look a lot better than this place. It's just taking that leap and getting known.

Posted by: Berkeley 26.Jul.2016, 09:00 AM

The media is used in all countries by those in power to control the opinions of the population. Just read the coverage of the same event as reported by Fox News, Russia Today and The Guardian and you'll see how shameless the application of spin can be. And if you regard any single one of those publications as "true" and the others as "lies" you're sure to have swallowed the political bias which controls them hook, line and sinker.

The only rational conclusion is to not believe anything reported in the news and certainly not to pay for a newspaper, yet so many do.

Posted by: LLHope 26.Jul.2016, 09:27 AM

QUOTE (Berkeley @ 26.Jul.2016, 08:00 AM) *
In Sweden the shift came in the 1970's once the Social Democrats got 50%+ majority in Parliament. They embarked upon the social re-engineering program, and that included changing media into an opinion building platform rather than informative, investigative, critical thinking platform.

As for The Local, news is not the primary objective, news items are tweaked to suit their customers (and it is "us" that are the customer). Check: http://www.thelocal.com

Posted by: andy_fin 26.Jul.2016, 02:04 PM

Knowingly closer to a marketing agency than i imagined.

and it is "us" that are the customer

The customer is the buyer of goods and services.
We're closer to the factory workers relentlessly clicking on links to create the product.

Sweden's news in English
Adverts in English

Posted by: Bsmith 27.Jul.2016, 12:49 AM

Now, you're scaring me.

Posted by: yet another brit 27.Jul.2016, 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Savage @ 26.Jul.2016, 09:18 PM) *
But until anyone wishes to try and translate Swedish news stories into English themselves, and be pre warned that doing so would be considered as a act against national interests with consequences fpr anyone who dare tries to air Swedens dirty laundry.

Really? Plenty of websites on both the left and right that air the dirty laundry.

Posted by: Gjeebes 27.Jul.2016, 07:39 AM

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 27.Jul.2016, 06:28 AM) *

Such as?

Posted by: Grahamsmjöl 27.Jul.2016, 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Savage @ 26.Jul.2016, 11:18 PM) *
I am not going to say too much about the news and its articles for obvious reasons.
But should your anger really be aimed at the organisation or those who pay to see such articles printed. Its no secret that the local receives payments to print articles that "debunk" or help promote certain ideological opinions. Just as RT has now become the voice of the Russian government and Russian interests in recent years. But for anyone who wants to get a better understanding of why such articles exists, you need to look at the source that is bankrolling such content to be printed. Has anyone tried to read the international (English) version of sverigeradio lately? Yes, this so called independent and tax funded news portal also offers many articles and stories to help promote a certain perspective or interest.

The real truth is Sweden is in a more precarious position that previous years.
Then realise that English has become the defacto language used to speak to the world, but is still considered a non recognised minority language in Sweden.

So why not call yourselves what you really are? An advertising agency? Click bait site?

As for the last paragraph, that is the most ludicrous statement I have read from you, and that is after the tripe you wrote about Brexit, i can only conclude that you are attempting dry humour. As other's have said, there are other websites who do this already, one is even owned by the state. Radio Sweden!

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 27.Jul.2016, 01:12 PM

In defense of TheLocal, if people do not like it's content, they are free to go elsewhere...If you are running a business there are always those that do not want your product...

Obviously there are many readers that are happy here or don't think TheLocal's standards are beneath them...

Some are not...It's just the way it is...

Posted by: yet another brit 27.Jul.2016, 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 27.Jul.2016, 06:39 AM) *
Such as?

newsvoice.se [alt-left bollocks]
nyheteridag.se [alt-right bollocks]

in both cases, as well as others of the ilk, you may actually prefer the editorial stance of the Local.

Posted by: LLHope 27.Jul.2016, 06:04 PM

The only difference is the local is privately owned and managed, and the material printed on the local is not written by foreign copywriters who often have a poor grasp of English.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Best laugh I have had so far this week, Thanks smile.gif

Posted by: Gjeebes 27.Jul.2016, 06:38 PM

This "The Local" is "English "news"". I fail to understand how comparisons to online Swedish language "news" "sources" make for any comparison.

Anyway, what is interesting, is how the Swedish version of TL seems to be quite lacking in comparison with other editions. Seems like there "can be" less lefty-nutter bubble-gum trash in certain other versions.

Maybe just down to the quality of country? Let's face it, once we've left Meatballia, whom will truly give it a second thought?

And anyway, we all know what Sweden looks like with the lights off. Whom in their right minds would come to TL Sweden for any other reason than to have a laugh on this forum?! I know I rarely read the crap here, except for a word count in the titles, for these gems: Sweden, Swedes, Stockholm, and did I mention Sweden, and Swedes?

It's like they know it is so bad, written at such a low level as to make Readers Digest seem Shakespearean even if only written at the Grade 4 level, that only morons go there to read "news", where they feel required to remind us which edition we are on, in each and every title (almost).

The pointlessness of it is truly entertaining, as is the nearly constant sponsoring by "American Express".

Posted by: Grahamsmjöl 28.Jul.2016, 08:56 AM

QUOTE (Savage @ 27.Jul.2016, 04:44 PM) *
If anyone really thinks they can do a better job than the local, feel free to try.
I can assure you its not as simple as it seems, and you will find that airing Sweden's dirty laundry by translating news not designed to be translated for non Swedish people to read will face a backlash by both locals and non locals. Swedes will quickly believe that such actions are a specific campaign by the daily mail, sputnik etc as a way to spread hate and propaganda. And immigrants who are set up here will quickly see translated news as being a way to swede bash.

So the local has found a perfect medium, a way to mix news, paid news, pr, advertising and 3rd party interests. Without putting itself in a position that would see it self shut down if it simply translated news.

I completely disagree with you and would suggest that you don't know Swedes at all! I mix with a large amount of Swedes and migrant Swedes who would welcome a news site that reports actual news from Sweden and not PR puff.

Besides that, I am talking about Swedish news in English for people living in Sweden. Newly arrived people want and need to know what is going on to help integrate.

Next, it IS as easy as it sounds! And if I didn't already have a day job I would do it myself! Four years ago I had a project where I ran a 'nättidning' for people in the infamous Fas3 and we very successfully did it for 2 years for 0 profit, 0 adverts (we were not paid, yes, I was one of them).

As for articles are not designed to be translated. You do come out with some horse sh*t sometimes!

I know, maybe 4 other people capable of translating articles. I am well able to create a news website using Wordpress, as I mentioned I did it before. I'd use a very good theme called Newspaper7.

The them costs £39, website and domain name I can get for £10 so I can be up and running within a week.

If anyone reading this is interested in translating some articles, all website profits go to charity and I'll pay for the start up costs.

If anyone is interested to see how it would look here's the theme site:

Posted by: Hisingen 28.Jul.2016, 11:37 AM

In today's Daily Mail - Mailonline - there is this article regarding those gropies in Gbg. during the Gothia Cup.

You can see from the article one of the sources of their information. cool.gif

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 28.Jul.2016, 12:51 PM

It's another attempt to poach TheLocal's customers!!!

Surely a true sign if success...

Posted by: Hisingen 28.Jul.2016, 08:36 PM

The Local is quoted again in the DM.

Whom is working with whom?? Or is the local getting paid for its 'news'.

Posted by: Bsmith 28.Jul.2016, 10:04 PM

The Local masquerades as a news site, but we know it's really not. But it can be entertaining at times and that is why some of us are here.

Posted by: andy_fin 29.Jul.2016, 01:20 PM

to mix news, paid news, pr, advertising and 3rd party interests

What would you say the ratios of the above 5 are? And is 'news' a big enough component?
In my mind i imagine the core policy of TL should be simple and obvious and written in HUGE letters on the walls of the office.
Sweden's news in English
But thats not really the company aim is it? we can all see it in the production.
'News' is the 'Click bait' bait.

Click bait as you call it, is an outdated model that the local does not try to appeal to.

Yes your site most definitely is hosting click bait.
Most of the taboola links are "Learn this Stockholm housewife's simple trick to lose 30kg in just 3 weeks"

What we're all saying is that this is a product / service that many people want to see and to see such glaring problems with it is disappointing. Sorry i'll re-phrase that because while it's problems to the user it's because of mis-aligned priorities.
We want to view the news with some general Sweden fluff every now and then.
You appear to want to generate revenue through advertisements. With 'news' being the 'hook'

I'm mostly here for the forums (i'm not sure why, but it's sometimes good to hear from people with similar experiences and the trolls give me a chuckle). The front page is something i skip past on the way here but if the content were better and the sections better organised i'd spend much more time there.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 30.Jul.2016, 12:17 AM

Poachers never win!!!

Posted by: Kaho 30.Jul.2016, 10:01 AM

Say what you want about clickbait. It exists for a reason and as long as people keep clicking the links, the model will continue.

A much bigger problem is how TL has become a mouthpiece for Swedish interests, publishing articles that are 'sponsored' (read 'paid for') by universities, tourist boards and government agencies.

It's a great way for Sweden to exercise soft power and these organisations are only too happy to pay for articles that look like news but have actually been crafted with their interests front and center. Readers, who might not spot that the sponsored articles have an agenda, are always the ones who lose out.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 30.Jul.2016, 10:55 AM

Some people call it public relations...

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 30.Jul.2016, 02:01 PM

Let's face the facts...TheLocal is a successful enterprise...like it or not...

People come here and trash it and then say come to my new site it's better thanTheLocal...

That's crap, why not get a site going and politely invite us to visit...

You should not try to steal customers by saying that the product they enjoy is trash and yours is better...prove that you indeed are better, first...

"If you build it, they will come"

Posted by: Gjeebes 30.Jul.2016, 07:59 PM

"TheLocal is a successful enterprise"

Really? How so? Maybe in the way MacDonald's is successful? Making money? Making people fat? Does that make it successful? Is it a good product? Or is it simply a sham?

If the local sold dog-"sh%t", and made money from it, is that (your idea of) success?

If what Savage says is true, re the "model", it only serves to speak volumes about the state enforced echo-box media "enterprise" in good ole Meatballia.

But what does this goodest country have to hide, that it becomes so treasonous to simply translate what happens in this fine example of a country, into a language people actually speak?

Kinda self-explanatory isn't it. The bigger the lies require even bigger lies ad infinitum. Can't go turning the lights on after decades upon decades of hiding in the shadows, now can we?

Very fitting for that one country that still thinks it is some kind of Imperial Powerhouse, trying to ride those centuries old coat-tails into glory.

Bahahahahahaha! A joke if there ever was one!

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 30.Jul.2016, 09:27 PM

"TheLocal is a successful enterprise...like it or not..."

The statement stands as it is...nobody said you had to like what they do!!!

When your bottom line is black you are successful...

Otherwise why all the would be copy cats sniffing around!!!

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 31.Jul.2016, 07:38 AM

Forgetting the puff pieces, the paid for articles and the many ads cluttering the front page (my adblock just blocked 26) we should judge TheLocal on the claim they make at the top left corner

"Sweden's news in English"

The local should be judged on how much Swedish news it presents, even if it is buried among the stuff that pays for the site.

My opinion is, it's a total failure!

Maybe we should suggest a new text that more accurately describes the site.

If only thelocal could be a fraction as informative as http://www.bangkokpost.com/ is for Expats in Thailand

Posted by: thomuk2006 31.Jul.2016, 09:58 AM

Website is shite... Read a decent news site and learn Swedish at the same time!... would recommend :

http://www.gp.se/ (if you live near Gothenberg)
https://www.sydsvenskan.se/ (if you live in Skåne)

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 31.Jul.2016, 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Savage @ 31.Jul.2016, 11:41 AM) *
Sweden as in the state
Not Swedish as in the people.

Its in plain English.

and it's very clear that this site presents very little news about what is actually going on in the state of Sweden

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 31.Jul.2016, 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Savage @ 31.Jul.2016, 12:25 PM) *
It is also very clear that the local presents very little news on cats...
So whats your point exactly?

If you can't differentiate between state and subject, then maybe you should jog on.
If you want to be privy to Swedish information, then learn the language.

Because I can tell you now, no one else is going to cut your food up into bite size chunks.

If the site's going to advertise itself as "Sweden's news in English" then the site should live up to that motto.

I don't give a flying fuck about where you think I should get my news from, and for the record, if I want to know what's going on in Sweden, I use the Swedish sites, certainly not this pathetic excuse of a "news" site.

The banner "Sweden's news in English" is a bait and switch tactic to sucker in people wanting to know about Sweden from a distance and new arrivals who want to know what's going on.

I think I found the site 10 or so years ago looking for Swedish news in English. It seems I never did find it or maybe it was better back then, but like the subject says "This site is a f**king joke! "

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 31.Jul.2016, 04:29 PM

This somewhat emotional thread will not change what TheLocal does...

Unless the bottom line changes things will remain as they are, so to those that are unhappy with it, you have a choice and we know what it is...Don't we???

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 31.Jul.2016, 09:54 PM

TheLocal is the news debate capitol of the internet...Or not!!! laugh.gif

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 1.Aug.2016, 06:07 AM

Rgen change the banner to

"Sweden's propaganda bullshit in English"

The site's as genuine as the average Swedish blonde.

Posted by: andy_fin 1.Aug.2016, 08:13 AM

It's like shouting at the wind.
One last time.

Your users feel as though the quality of the articles is not up to the standard they hope for.
They feel that the ratio of Sweden's News In English and real news stories compared to click bait and 'paid for' pieces is too low.
I'd also add the design is outdated and the forums could use an update from phpbb2.0 but thats a small quibble. (The corporate site is actually pretty nice looking)

That is feedback that companies should be killing for and when you start telling people their opinion is wrong, well that's a good way to lose them.

I don't agree that you're the great defenders of Swedenism either.
Thunder, tornadoes and now fires? You must be joking?! - Scary weather in Sweden
Swede walks into McDonald's carrying a deceased badger - Erm don't know what to say about this but it's not portraying Sweden well.
Zlatan takes just 190 seconds to make mark - This is factually accurate.
Sweden to investigate citizens' sex lives - Scaremongering that the state is invading privacy

I've not read the articles, i couldn't honestly care less about any of them it just doesn't fit with your "defenders of Swedens image abroad" mantra or Sweden's global publicist role.

Anyway consider this a sign off i know you won't care but i'm not enjoying this community or site anymore.

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 1.Aug.2016, 08:49 AM

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 1.Aug.2016, 09:13 AM) *

I don't know why there is a need to feel they must defend Sweden's image abroad. Swedes have been the masters of pulling the wool over peoples eyes.

Medical professionals around the world think that Sweden is the bee's knees when it comes to healthcare. Of course the reality is that whilst Sweden spends a lot of money on research and Swedes are great at the powerpoint presentation at medical conferences, the healthcare given to residents is completely fucked.

In business, a Swedish company will come to your company and give a gee wiz presentation, fantastic powerpoint slides and blow you away. Those with the real understanding of the way Swedes do business, know that if you start questioning them about the detail, they will be found begging.

Swedish women, great image of them abroad but try dating them and moving to Sweden with them, the truth is soon revealed.

Swedish men seem like any other man when they are away from Sweden. Get them to Sweden and the immediately show themselves to be mummies boys and boring.

Sweden's neutrality... LOL WW2 they like to bring out Wallenberg but hide their dealings with the Nazi's

Refugee migration... Swedes put on a show to impress the world about how caring it is for the less fortunate. They have tried to blindly stick to the policy so they can maintain the image to the world, whilst in every aspect sweden is showing strain of the burden.

and so on and so on

Posted by: Cheeseroller 1.Aug.2016, 03:47 PM

The site is a business it is not a charity that responds to readers who don't pay. Savage has made this clear - the site is run to generate income from adverts and obtain income from Swedish organisations who want "puff pieces" published.

Frankly I'm impressed that a Brit has found a way to encourage Swedish tax payers to pay them to publish their propaganda.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 1.Aug.2016, 04:45 PM

It seems that some think it a crime to make money while in business...

Posted by: Svedallas 2.Aug.2016, 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Renfeh Hguh @ 31.Jul.2016, 03:11 PM) *

Could not agree more. What makes it worse is when other international papers quote The Local.
If someone is smart enough they will see this as an opportunity to have a REAL English/Swedish paper with REAL news.

I cringe every time I see the "news" nothing related to what is going on or reported by Swedish papers.
Shameful.

Posted by: Rebecka 2.Aug.2016, 09:39 AM

The Local's prime purpose is to spread positive propaganda about Sweden and not the truth, so yes it is a joke. I completely agree with you there! To be credible they should also inform about negative things in Sweden, e.g. Swedish "values", such as

1. It's OK to pay taxes on income you have not had (for example, on investment savings account, which is one of the most popular savings arrangements among Swedes).

2. If an immigrant commits a crime you do not say that he is an immigrant for It can be interpreted as "racist" (a word that most Swedes do not understand what it really means). But if a Swede were to commit a similar offense you mention this and often even what city he is from. A picture of his home and his front door is also quite OK.

3. If someone performs better than yourself, you get envious. And if this person earns money on this you could even begrudge him.

4. Sweden is the best at everything, even at health care and English. When the contrary is proved, Swedes do not believe this.

5. A very reserved attitude to those you do not know is appropriate.

6. Illegal immigrants are entitled to free medical and dental care. Swedish pensioners and others are not.

7. Retirees should pay more tax than those who work.

8. Sweden should receive more refugees per capita than other countries.

9. When the political party Sweden Democrats want to limit the number of refugees they are called "racist". When other parties are copying this view and want to do the same thing they are "showing responsibility".

10. If an "unaccompanied refugee child" says that he is a child and under 18 years of age, it must be true, even though he is over 25 or 30 years old.

Posted by: Bsmith 2.Aug.2016, 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Rebecka @ 2.Aug.2016, 08:39 AM) *

5. A very reserved attitude to those you do not know is appropriate.

7. Retirees should pay more tax than those who work.

8. Sweden should receive more refugees per capita than other countries.

You have captured the Swedish model in 10 points. Good job!

Posted by: Hisingen 2.Aug.2016, 10:57 PM

All I can say is that if Sweden is as bad as you all bl**dy well say, then why in hades are you all still here?????
It is strange that everyone, well almost everyone, on these forums is complaining about the place, and yet so many are in a damned hurry to get Swedish nationality.
For conveniece sake mostly - not because they feel 'Swedish'. That in itself is a pure case of double standards.
So many have not the capability of simply accepting Sweden for what it is, but must complain because 'it ain't like home'. Not the same food, not the same fruit, not the same everything.
You are all a miserable lot of moaning minnies, so why don't you go back to where you so clearly belong - back home wherever that is.
This whole site is simply a place for moaning about a country to which you all chose to move, and yet is NOT to your liking. So why stay? Is it the convenience? Is it the standard of living? is it because you are not welcome back home? Trying to escape from a previous failed life?? To another - - -
It is enough to try the patience of a saint. Nothing suits. Everything is wrong, yet there are plenty who remain here despite everything. WHY? To moan and deride all things Swedish and the Swedish people. It is little wonder that you are met with a cold shoulder.
Go back to where you think you belong and endeavour to make your peace with the world since you clearly are dissatisfied wioth your lives here.
There are plenty of us who came here to make a new life and were prepared to accept the Swedish way of lfe and NOT expect everything to be 'like home'. And we have done it whilst retaining our own nationality, and thereby have been accepted into the community. Not changing our horses in mid-stream purely for the sake of convenience.
If you think this is a rant OK. It is. Someone has to put into print what the Swedes must be thinking of you miseries, and it is little wonder that, with such a mentality, you do not have any friends here. Who wants such?? I wouldn't.
It is little wonder also that this website is as it is, with the attitudes shown. It is a bane on the Swedish landscape, and all you moaners and whiners with it.

When we get to odd posting that has any bearing on a happy life here, it is the exception rather than the rule and is like a breath of fresh air. But it happens so rarely. At a guess those happy here don't bother with websites like this. I came on because I felt there was an opportunity to offer help now and then, but the way things are so many are way past redemption.

if Sweden is all that bad - then clear off and don't poison the air here with your whining. angry.gif angry.gif

Basta.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 3.Aug.2016, 01:42 AM

The complainers were probably just as dissatisfied with their lives long before they came to Sweden...

TheLocal is a great place to vent ones frustrations...but...yes it does get tiresome reading the same things over and over again...

However, that's the nature of this forum...

I'm hoping that a comedic Troll will turn up and stop the dirge... rolleyes.gif

Posted by: Mzungu 3.Aug.2016, 03:04 PM

^^
'Hole Cutter from Hell' and 'Bladerunner,' left this site ages ago...

*so don't expect any change soon! *

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 3.Aug.2016, 03:18 PM

"Oldies but goodies"

The old gang is gone and the new gang is???

Oh, well, at least the news is top notch, informative, and reflects the true condition of journalism in it's finest manner...Is there a Pulitzer award in the offing??? unsure.gif

Posted by: yet another brit 3.Aug.2016, 06:53 PM

Interestingly enough, a large percentage of those who comment on the Facebook page are often Swedish

Often Swedish, what a nice idea! What nationality are they, when they aren't part-time Swedes?

Posted by: Gjeebes 3.Aug.2016, 07:26 PM

Hissy-fit at it again, "if Sweden is all that bad - then clear off and don't poison the air here with your whining."

How about: if TL forum is all that bad - then clear off and don't poison the air here with your whining!

Couldn't be bothered to read your long-winded bloated tripe, but let's have a look at your constant moaning, shall we?

No one gives a flying f#¤k if you don't like their comments. So, if you don't like it, why the hell don't you flog-off, you old hack? Why do you constantly come to TL forum, where many people vent their frustration of Meatballia, and then complain about it, you muppet?

Take your own advice you grotty little wanker, and take a hike. Right? No one asks you to continuously come here, you do that of your own accord, yes? So if you don't like what you read...you know the rest!

Now, let's wait for one (of three) of your "one-line-wonder" retorts, that you repeat ad nauseum, whenever you get a bee in your bonnet. You really are a boring, old, predictable, pathetic TOOL! And it all makes sense...that's what 300 years living in Meatballia will do to a "man"(?).

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 3.Aug.2016, 09:03 PM

Ouch!!!

Posted by: Hisingen 4.Aug.2016, 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 3.Aug.2016, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE (Lazarzero @ 3.Aug.2016, 10:38 PM) *

Began to ponder whether or not to bother to reply, then decided if heebee jeebee and his china little lazy 0 want to get personal or cross the lines of public decency, OK. Here goes:-

Old GH is right.
We do need some comedic trolls on these forums. And here we have wonderful specimens. They are so comical that they would make the Marx Brothers and Laurel & Hardy seem like Shakespearean actors.

These two supercilious individuals are among the top experts on Sweet Fanny Addams.
Self appointed anti-everything Swedish, the comments pour from their vitriol lubricated keyboards, and now even personal and foul-mouthed rants.
The language is so typical of the products of Blair’s ejukayshun. High-faluting rubbish that stems from the gutter or even beneath same as per the lazy 0, who has excelled itself in the latest ‘effort’.

Heebee jeebee says he does not like reading long posts. No doubt they over-tax what passes for a brain inside that thick skull. Since he subscribes to long texts to these forums, it would not come as a surprise if he has a great source for cutting and pasting. The Dandy or the Beano perhaps.

They seem to be very square pegs not even trying to fit into the Swedish round holes, or anywhere else - including their homeland, such that it makes you wonder if they are trying to escape those ASBO’s issued since they make no effort to return ‘home’.

I almost wrote ‘endeavouring’ instead of ‘trying’, but realised that it was longer than marmalade, and I would hate to tax heebee jeebee’s ability with long words. He might have a hissy fit!! (What a pleasant thought!)

Anyway, have fun folks, these two are truly comical, if rather pathetically so. Just remember the names, heebee jeebee and lazy 0. Modern day comediians - - - and if you have seen any of the so-called comedy programmes on BBC TV you will know what I mean.

Posted by: intrepidfox 5.Aug.2016, 09:22 PM

Sweden's news in English

That is what TL states. All this bollocks from GH and Savage means nothing. Need i say more. Start publishing news instead of crap that The Sunday Sport publishes.

PS Savage. Most people that post on Facebook are Americans that have never lived hhere, not Swedes

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 5.Aug.2016, 10:03 PM

So, you doubt that TheLocal could win a Pulitzer prize...

You don't believe in the 10,000 monkeys theory???

Hey, you never know!!!

Posted by: Hisingen 6.Aug.2016, 09:40 AM

Awards like Coke bottle caps and about as valued.

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 6.Aug.2016, 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 6.Aug.2016, 10:40 AM) *
Awards like Coke bottle caps and about as valued.

LOL

So true

(OMG I am agreeing with you blink.gif )

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 6.Aug.2016, 03:11 PM

Deny access to the infidels!!!

Dissociate them!!!

"Ya gotta believe"!!! rolleyes.gif

Posted by: Hisingen 6.Aug.2016, 03:52 PM

Here come the threats - - but not a promise of improvement, that would be too much to expect.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 6.Aug.2016, 04:46 PM

They must be rehabilitated!!!

Wash their minds clean and start anew...

The must learn to love TheLocal!!!

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 6.Aug.2016, 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 6.Aug.2016, 04:52 PM) *

Ohhh sh!t, not again...

If TheLocal respected it's readers and forum posters, who are the people who do all those clicks that TheLocal uses to bring in the paying customers, then they would listen to our complaints and make improvements.

I think if there was a survey of all TheLocal readers, I'm sure not many will have come to this place for the puff pieces and paid for content that Savage is so proud of. I found this place 10 or so years ago as I was curious to search for a Swedish news site in English. I can't remember if it was more news and less puff back then. Anyway, I'm sure I'm in the majority when it comes to why I'm here.

Even if Sweden is a bit of a sleepy little country with relatively little going on at times, there are certainly more things happening that could be of interest to expats living there and the Sweden curious. With more actual news on the page, the paid for content and puff pieces would be less in your face and there would be no need for a thread called "This site is a f**king joke!"

Posted by: Bsmith 6.Aug.2016, 10:51 PM

There is a lot going on in Sweden that will affect the country and it citizens profoundly in the very near future.

But we can't talk about that, can we?

Posted by: Hisingen 7.Aug.2016, 02:00 PM

Such things as and . But we don't dare mention them in print.

That is the way of the world. It is either illegal. immoral, or it makes you fat. Oh yes , and add to that - racist.
By the way, I left some space so that anyone who wishes can 'read between the lines'. rolleyes.gif

Posted by: Hisingen 8.Aug.2016, 11:31 PM

And all seem bound up in politics on one side or the other. Even the once revered for its impartiality BBC has its nose in the political trough.

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 9.Aug.2016, 02:26 AM

The news media...everywhere...is no longer what it was...impartial!!!

And it seems that the Liberal interpretation of the news is on top...

Conservative news is poorly represented...

However neither side should should be espoused...

Just give us the facts without a slant!!!

Posted by: andy_fin 9.Aug.2016, 12:46 PM

Faced with your problems i would integrate facebook authentication for the forums and remove the option of the antiquated username password combo.

There goes your anonymous "immigrant posters"

Any good reason why this would not be a good idea besides development costs?

I see the forum as one of your most valuable assets. It's a fantastic archive of questions and answers that you couldn't hope to replicate through blog / news posts.
Yes it has it's downsides but honestly i see it as TL's USP.

Posted by: Renfeh Hguh 9.Aug.2016, 02:27 PM

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 9.Aug.2016, 12:46 PM) *

There goes your anonymous "immigrant posters"

Any good reason why this would not be a good idea besides development costs?

Yes it has it's downsides but honestly i see it as TL's USP.

Unless the sites target audience are teens and the clueless early twenties, then TL will lose a lot of traffic to the forum. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, I will NEVER join any site where I must use Facebook as the login. I'd rather use Google's login because I don't have a presence there.

Do you want that Mark Fuckerberg to know what you do outside of FB as well?

Posted by: TheExpatEagle 23.Aug.2016, 10:35 AM

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 9.Aug.2016, 01:46 PM) *

There goes your anonymous "immigrant posters"

Any good reason why this would not be a good idea besides development costs?

Yes it has it's downsides but honestly i see it as TL's USP.

Why force users to have a Facebook account? That makes no sense because a lot of people refuse to have a Facebook account so you would cut off a fair percentage of your customers.

As for 'there goes your anonymous "immigrant posters" why? At one point I had 5 Facebook accounts for different testing reasons. I also have multiple Twitter, Tumblr, etc. accounts. It proves or prevents nothing.

As for costs, it could cost nothing depending on the platform.

The fact is, as Savage has admitted, The Local exists to promote paid for content to show Sweden in a certain light. It also serves to be a cash cow to pay their employees wages.

Yes, the site is free, so what? My site is free and costs me 300kr a year. I can't imagine The Local costs anything to maintain, depending on the platform, it could be done by a monkey.

However, what I dislike is when Savage slags off newspapers such as the Daily Mail for printing articles that shows what is really going on in Sweden. He can slag of the Daily Mail a much as he likes but for running articles that tell the truth and shatters the false image isn't the right reason.

Why doesn't The Local just merge with and become the news arm of Sweden.se so everything is out in the open?

Posted by: intrepidfox 13.Jan.2017, 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Savage @ 13.Jan.2017, 01:38 PM) *
So half a year ago, a certain group of people complained about The Local not covering real Swedish news.

In the past few weeks, we have started to cover "real Swedish" news in this forum.

- Usually the most popular stories in Sweden of the day
- From most of the most popular Swedish newspapers.

I wonder if the same posters who complained previously are now happy?

Or is the most popular Swedish news stories, from the most popular Swedish news sites now wrong as well laugh.gif

I like the news but what people complained about is that The Local on it´s Home & Facebook sides just publish garbage

Posted by: Gamla Hälsingebock 13.Jan.2017, 03:41 PM

"In the past few weeks, "we" have started to cover "real Swedish" news in this forum."

Please note the word "we" in the above sentence...

Are we facing an organization with an agenda???

Posted by: Johno 14.Jan.2017, 03:22 PM

Funny that I just the other day posted saying I had had it with this site.

But this thread has raised 2 things that really address the problem.

That while there are contributors on here who belong to the "I am never joining Facebook" head-in-the-sand group, this forum really will die. Too long to explain, those who don't get it never will.

And secondly while Savage has this weird idea notion that "real Swedish News is" the lowest of tabloid trash linked to Swedish newspaper sites, users will also depart and new users will be turned off. The headline posted is sensationalist, and from experience linking to any Swedish language source is a real turn off. So the threads really do fall on stony ground.

But both points will fall on deaf ears, but I have had my 5 pennyworth. Hej då!