The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Getting a landline here

Do I really have to live here for 8 months first?

p.p.
post 28.Sep.2012, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Hello,

Can anyone give me a bit of advice about landlines?

I've just moved to Sweden and would like to get one. We're currently renting. We managed to get broadband through Telia (as soon as we arrived, without a person number!) but they said we wouldn't be able to get a landline until we'd been for here 8 months, for credit check reasons.

I just wanted to check this is the case, and the person we spoke to wasn't mistaken. Has anyone else managed to get a landline connected within a few months of arriving, while renting? We've got Skype for calling out, but the quality isn't always perfect and I need the phone for work (I work from home as a freelancer), so it's not ideal.

I now have a person number – could this be enough?

Thanks for the help..
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 28.Sep.2012, 10:35 AM
Post #2

Try asking again.
+
William Sachsen-Coburg-Go...
post 28.Sep.2012, 10:39 AM
Post #3

Sounds like nonsense to me. We had a Telia one put in within a week or two of moving here.
+
p.p.
post 28.Sep.2012, 11:02 AM
Post #4

Hmmm, I suspected as much! Thanks for the advice, I'll ask them again.
+
fogelfeifer
post 28.Sep.2012, 02:45 PM
Post #5

The only thing we came across in a similar way was that we had to lodge a large deposit against the Telia account...approx 2000SEK I think...as we had no recent credit rating. It was refunded after 12 months of on-time payments.
+
intrepidfox
post 28.Sep.2012, 03:05 PM
Post #6

When i first moved to Sweden many years ago i couldn´t even rent a tv until i had lived in the country for 3 years even though i had a permanent job but Telia was no problem at all.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 28.Sep.2012, 03:13 PM
Post #7

Why not get one of these...I got mine about a month ago and it's great!

Ooma rocks!

http://www.siliconvalley.com/larry-magid/c...one-costs-while
+
paviya
post 26.Nov.2012, 10:26 AM
Post #8

Thanks for giving information
+
Yorkshireman
post 26.Nov.2012, 10:49 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (p.p. @ 28.Sep.2012, 10:14 AM) *
We managed to get broadband through Telia (as soon as we arrived, without a person number!) but they said we wouldn't be able to get a landline until we'd been for ... (show full quote)

It is not a mistake. You can get broadband because that has in the majority of cases a reasonably low fixed monthly fee. They want to see a credit history in Sweden, partly because it shows that the cost to them for connecting the fixed line pays back (ie. you are staying a little while!), and because there are so many things that can be paid for via the fixed line eg. All those pay-numbers, even giving to charity ... that doesn't show up on bills until the end of the month. They want to be sure you are staying and able to pay.

eg. Hypothetical situation ... just to put it into context ... You could set up a pay-line that has a very high transaction fee eg. 100:- /minute ... get a land line with no credit history in Sweden, and leave your new land line connected to that for sometime ...use the right company and finance options you can get the money within 5 days ...and do a runner.

They just want to see that You build an identity 1st smile.gif

As one other poster stated, offer to pay a deposite that is refundable?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: