The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Residence Card or Residence Permit?

Information needed please!

Aristide1
post 2.Jan.2015, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Hi there,
I'm a spouse to an EU citizen from Poland working in Sweden. Am a bit confused, should I apply for a residence card or residence permit? I use to have a work permit in Sweden but my contract was terminated. I was suppose to leave Sweden but I overstayed until I met my wife and we got married. Now that I'm applying for Residence card/permit, do I need to apply in Sweden and wait for a decision or apply from my home country? How long is the waiting time for EU citizens and their relatives?

Thanks,
Hope to hear from you guys:)
Go to the top of the page
+
Firenze
post 9.Jan.2015, 04:44 PM
Post #2

Hi!

As your wife is an EU citizen working in Sweden, she has right of residence in Sweden and therefore you have it too. You don't need a permit because you have this right. You need to apply for a Residence Card and you don't need to go back to your home country smile.gif

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...ly-members.html
+
Case officer
post 9.Jan.2015, 05:03 PM
Post #3

The waiting time is 16 months for a residence card.
+
Aristide1
post 11.Jan.2015, 02:05 AM
Post #4

Thanks guys for the clarification. The waiting time is really long. Are my allowed to work while waiting for the decision? I hate to stay at home doing nothing...ha ha. Hope to hear from you guys!
+
Aristide1
post 17.Jan.2015, 12:48 AM
Post #5

Hi, Case officer please I will like to here your opinion about my case:) Do you think I have a chance getting my residence card here without going home in though I overstayed? Like I said before my wife is an EU member working here. or I should apply from my home country. What do you think about What Firenze said based on the EU directives? I'm a bit confuses and still have doubts.
+
jeffreyc
post 17.Jan.2015, 05:04 PM
Post #6

If your spouse has a contract/salary job for more than one year, they have right of residence, and if you are married/have paperwork that shows your partnership (bills/leases/etc), you too have right of residence.
I'm in a similar situation and my partner's employer told us to move here at the same time so that our paperwork with skatteverket and migrationsverket could be processed at the same time. Does your partner already have a personnummer? If so, you should be able to apply for a personnummer upon arrival (even without a residence card) since you will also have the right to work here right away.
information about this at skatteverket:
(http://www.skatteverket.se/privat/folkbokforing/flytta/flyttatillsverige.4.76a43be412206334b89800018617.html)

Not sure if you're allowed to apply in the country, since your partner is already here, but you might be able to. You should contact migrationsverket and see what they say.
http://www.migrationsverket.se/Privatperso...r-familjen.html

and the residence card required so that you can enter and leave sweden without issue after moving here: http://www.migrationsverket.se/Privatperso...utanfor-EU.html
+
good_luck_1
post 18.Jan.2015, 12:07 AM
Post #7

Hehe, it is 18 month actually the waiting time (but it means up to 18 months, some ppl get it earlier)
So that the time if you are applying already in Sweden, as stupidly they have no online submission if you are applying from Sweden.However, if you are applying from a home country you can do it online and it will take up to 10 months.
Yes, damn long times...
+
Blind Hopes
post 11.Feb.2019, 12:05 PM
Post #8

waiting times are too long sad.gif
+
guscavge
post 14.Feb.2019, 07:40 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Blind Hopes @ 11.Feb.2019, 01:05 PM) *
waiting times are too long sad.gif
According to EU law, it is illegal for Sweden to make you wait more than six months for a decision regarding your residence card. If the six-month mark passes and you are still waiting, give Migrationsverket a call and demand to speak to a manager of the processing office. Then explain to the boss that you will be delighted to file a complaint with the European Commission if they don't make a decision straight away.

In any case, I think the mentioned processing time of 12+ months is incorrect. My partner received her residence card after four and a half months.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: