The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Buying British food in Sweden

Possible? If so, Where?

Hisingen
post 3.Jan.2016, 12:18 PM
Post #31

Just had a further thought:- the BCS also has a department - on the website - for bulk-buying. There you might even find other items for your needs, including the ground almonds and other nuts.

Contrary to what some lame ducks say on here, we do try to help - but preferably those who endeavour to also help themselves.

Have a nice day - as they say across the pond.
Go to the top of the page
+
JeremyH
post 4.Jan.2016, 10:50 AM
Post #32

I'm travelling home to the UK for 2 weeks tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything you'd like me to bring back. I live in Stockholm and can accept payment by Paypal smile.gif
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jan.2016, 12:49 PM
Post #33

I might add that for those of you living on the west coast (Not the backside of Sweden - Stockholm!) there is, in G
+
rouet
post 4.Jan.2016, 06:41 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 4.Jan.2016, 12:49 PM) *
including Fray Bentos pies,

Fray Bentos pies!!
Now this will give you a laugh Hisingen as I suspect you are in my age group. ( I apologize if I am wrong) When I was a bairn my Mam bought those steak and kidney pies. Being a thrifty Yorkshire lass she saved the tins they came in at that time, to use for baking. They are a nice size, deep so one can make a good pie with plenty of filling. Now there are so few who come past her house for `llowance so last time I was home I "inherited" them. 5 grand old Fray Bentos tins with the remnants of the print on them . Just perfect for fruit pies.
I came back through Manchester airport and of course the metal showed up through the X, ray. As I had a rucksack the surveillant asked me what I the metal object was. He was also in his sixties and I laughingly explained. Astonished ,he asked "EEH luv, gi
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jan.2016, 08:27 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (rouet @ 4.Jan.2016, 06:41 PM) *
Fray Bentos pies!!- - - - I have six tins- the sixth is a normal vintage pie tin with dog teeth dents in it. I remember the day the neighbour's dog came by with ... (show full quote)

And how did that freeman's pie taste? All the better for it is my guess. Funny how a small comment can awaken old memories. Yes, those tins are just the right size and shape for making new pies, and due to the form are easy to clean. The outside paintwork is still visible though, and could look a bit odd, say, if the new content is an apple and blackberry pie.
So far I don't think that I have travelled in such a way that my baggage has been X-rayed. I have come into Sweden though, in the days of the sharp-eared Customs listening for the cluck' of bottled liquids requiring to be confiscated. Happily things are a little easier these days in that department.
On my infrequent trips to the UK I seldom bring back much by way of food, mainly my favourite cheeses, Caerphilly and Wensleydale. Of late, though I have bought a few items from an on-line store, and in the box are often a few F-B pies to save me doing much cooking when my wife is away. Plus some Marmite. I know it can be bought here, especially in Gbg at the Indian Food Shop of all places, but I refuse to finance the city venture into total upset.
Marmite and Bovril seem to be from the same company, and umpteen years ago back in the UK there was a children's paper running a competition - for a slogan to aid their sales. I produced a masterpiece -
"Don't waste hot water down the sink. Put Bovril in and make a drink"
Unfortunately my poetic talents were ignored, and I am still awaiting my reward. rolleyes.gif At a guess that will indicate as to my era, and yours if you recognise the type of competition.
+
Bsmith
post 4.Jan.2016, 08:58 PM
Post #36

Looked up marmite and Bovril on Google, and I can't say as they look too appealing to me. Guess, it's an acquired taste.

Several years ago I entered a contest to come up with new slogans for Guinness beer. My poetic talents were ignored also. A shame really, as I put in quite a lot of research...
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jan.2016, 09:16 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Jan.2016, 08:58 PM) *
Looked up marmite and Bovril on Google, and I can't say as they look too appealing to me. Guess, it's an acquired taste. Several years ago I entered a contest to come ... (show full quote)

It is an acquired taste, you either do or you don't.

As to the contest - are you unwittingly accusing me of lack of research into my award-non-winning text ? ? ? ? ?

rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
+
Bsmith
post 4.Jan.2016, 09:45 PM
Post #38

Not at all. You to right ahead and continue your research on those two fine products.

I'll stick to the Guinness.
+
Rima1985
post 4.Jan.2016, 11:30 PM
Post #39

oh lord I didnt know that ''tahini'' was british :/ what a chock .
as well as for doritos

Ok it's enough with being ironic ,you can find tahini in every supermarket in Sweden you just have to ask , i buy mine in Hemk
+
Hisingen
post 4.Jan.2016, 11:39 PM
Post #40

Go ahead with your Guinness, and thank you for that old friend. I was worried there for a few minutes, bearing in mind the hours I spent achieving that masterpiece. rolleyes.gif
Now I can go back to my glass of Strongbow (bought from the British Corner Shop I might add, and which was included in my pre-Christmas purchase). It is real nice when the delivery van turns up with the latest order, even if the driver has to stagger the last few yards under the weight. I usually get him to put it down inside the door to make it easier for me.

By the by - I managed to nobble that spammer Bj
+
Phrozenkiwi
post 5.Jan.2016, 12:23 AM
Post #41

There's a few ex-pat stores listed on shopsthatshiptosweden.com. I've used SANZA quite a bit and, whatever you think about the English shop's prices, when you just have to have Vegemite and Pickled Onions (and who doesn't?), you can't complain about the delivery prices or shipping time.

Compared to when I first arrived here, it's getting easier and easier to connect to 'home'. I can even watch live footy and cricket games. biggrin.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 6.Jan.2016, 08:06 PM
Post #42

[quote name='Hisingen' post='881232' date='4.Jan.2016, 11:39 PM']Go ahead with your Guinness, and thank you for that old friend. I was worried there for a few minutes, bearing in mind the hours I spent achieving that masterpiece. rolleyes.gif
Now I can go back to my glass of Strongbow (bought from the British Corner Shop I might add, and which was included in my pre-Christmas purchase). It is real nice when the delivery van turns up with the latest order, even if the driver has to stagger the last few yards under the weight. I usually get him to put it down inside the door to make it easier for me.

By the by - I managed to nobble that spammer Bj
+
Hisingen
post 7.Jan.2016, 10:06 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 6.Jan.2016, 08:06 PM) *
HAVE A GOOD 2016 YOU OLDER FART.I got xmas goodies the newly opened English shop in Jonkoping and made a pre xmas visit to the in-laws at the same time not bad and easier th ... (show full quote)

Thanks for the greeting you young whippersnapper - - - and the same to you and yours.

As to starting a new forum minus yes, it might not be a bad idea since about 99% of the current space is being taken up by all the other impatient ones. Point is how, and where??
+
Laurelia
post 7.Jan.2016, 07:45 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 4.Jan.2016, 07:58 PM) *
Looked up marmite and Bovril on Google, and I can't say as they look too appealing to me. Guess, it's an acquired taste. Several years ago I entered a contest to come ... (show full quote)

I bought marmite over one Xmas and all my in-laws tasted (and hated) it. I am still baffled as to how they sat eating dried reindeer jerky and claimed my delicious marmite on toast was rank!
+
Laurelia
post 7.Jan.2016, 07:46 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 7.Jan.2016, 09:06 AM) *
Thanks for the greeting you young whippersnapper - - - and the same to you and yours.As to starting a new forum minus yes, it might not be a bad idea since about 99% of the cu ... (show full quote)

It's relatively simple to start a forum, I used to run one for a gaming community I was a part of, there are many easy-to-use template websites.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: