The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

I finally have a Move To Gothenburg date!

VikingHumpingWitch
post 24.Feb.2006, 03:59 PM
Post #1

And it's 4th April, which may sound far off but isn't long for me to pack/flog all my stuff.

But YAY anyway! I am very excited and also quite terrified.

Anyone know any cheap shipping companies?!
Go to the top of the page
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 24.Feb.2006, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Yay! Välkommen! And No I don't!

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
*The Teenage Diplomat*
post 24.Feb.2006, 04:04 PM
Post #3

It's a nice city, I would consider moving there if I was offered a job. Our most important outdoor stadium is located there, so U2, Bruce and the rest might come there.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 24.Feb.2006, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Yeah I went to Ullevi to see Sweden hammer Malta in the World Cup qualifiers. It's cool. I've been told that the ground wobbled when Bruce Springsteen played there though (can only assume it was a stampede to escape) and that's a bit worrying.
+
etuna
post 24.Feb.2006, 05:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Anyone know any cheap shipping companies?!

Not sure if that is a serious question or not. I looked into it, ended up paying £100 to have my bike shipped over and decided to leave stuff I couldnt carry at home. Not a suitable solution for everyone of course! Many places add a tariff (ie. double the cost) to "personal effects" and unless you are a business customer you tend to pay quite a bit more. Probably something to do with economies of scale or suchlike. Good look and please post on here if you find anything.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 24.Feb.2006, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Yeah yeah it was serious. Didn't know personal would cost more, I'm starting a business (got the forms to fill in this weekend, great) so maybe I can run it through that... I'll let The Local know how it goes!
+
*Carol*
post 25.Feb.2006, 05:57 AM
Post #7

VHW--You're going to free lance for your old company in England, right? See if they'll stump up some costs to move your stuff, as businesses get great rates, and they might say yes as they'll hardly even notice the costs at the end of the year. Hope this will work.
+
Per C
post 25.Feb.2006, 09:53 AM
Post #8

VHW,

Look forward to having you here in Gtbg! Best of luck on the move!!!

As for shipping, any consolidated freight companies are usually pretty reasonable, as long as you can manage to wait for your things for a number of weeks. The cost is lowered since you are sharing a container. I have friends that have done it that way and it has worked out to be the cheapest. Good idea to look into the work related shipping as you mentioned also.

Are you shipping from Britain or the states?
+
Franko
post 25.Feb.2006, 11:58 AM
Post #9

VHW,

Friend of mine used this crowd. Cannot say if they are cheap or not but you can check them and compare prices:

Oak Logistics
Harwich
Essex
Tel 01255 556500
Fax 01255 556194

Their Swedish half is:

Novatrans,
Tel.+46 (0)8 446 34 40
Fax 755 19 19
www.novatrans.com

I have no connection to either of the above companies.
+
Benzed
post 3.Mar.2006, 02:40 AM
Post #10

Oops, sorry luv. I never saw this topic. You arrive 3 days before my birthday - weyhey, get the beers in!! biggrin.gif

Look in TNT magazine (the Antipodean free-on-Mondays glossy mag) or on their website for a copious list of shipping companies.

And starting a business? :?:

Anyhoo, be seeing ya soon innit 8)
+
*no one*
post 3.Mar.2006, 05:38 AM
Post #11

pack light, travel hard.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: