Reply to this topic

Early drinking may speed alcohol dependence

*Abc*
post 7.Jul.2006, 03:24 PM
Post #1

I am finding this one is interesting: Early drinking may speed alcohol dependence http://tinyurl.com/et9t8

(Reuters Health) - People who begin to drink alcohol before the age of 14 years are not only more likely to become alcoholics than those who stay away from alcohol until they're 21; they also develop dependence on alcohol faster, and face a longer struggle with alcohol throughout their lives, a new study shows.
Go to the top of the page
+
Alice Is Back
post 7.Jul.2006, 03:52 PM
Post #2

*aaron shrugs shoulders
+
*Cali*
post 7.Jul.2006, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Uh yeah...the longer one spends drinking the more likely one will become an alcoholic? Isn't this obvious?
+
FR
post 7.Jul.2006, 04:39 PM
Post #4

You're right, Abc, heavy or binge drinking as a teenager creates alcohol dependence. It's because certain parts of a teenager's brain are still developing and are not fully developed until age 25. The development gets destroyed or mutated if the teenager drinks in excess, even if it's binge drinking on the weekend and such. That causes dependence on alcohol. I've read a few journal articles about the subject and it's very interesting.
+
*Hawk. Eddie Would Go.*
post 7.Jul.2006, 05:59 PM
Post #5

[quote="FR"] The development gets destroyed or mutated if the teenager drinks in excess, even if it's binge drinking on the weekend and such. quote]
It (alcohol) plays havoc on brain development long before the teen years in the event that mothers indulge while pregnant. Those consequences are devastating and there is NO EXCUSE for a woman to drink during pregnancy.
+
*Hawk. Eddie Would Go.*
post 7.Jul.2006, 06:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Abc)
I am finding this one is interesting: Early drinking may speed alcohol dependence http://tinyurl.com/et9t8

(Reuters Health) - People who begin to drink alcohol before the age of 14 years are not only more likely to become alcoholics than those who stay away from alcohol until they're 21; they also develop dependence on alcohol faster, and face a longer struggle with alcohol throughout their lives, a new study shows.

I have a lifelong struggle with alcohol. I had 2 sisters killed by a 17 year old drunk driver. Please do not get trashed and drive . Please.
+
Paddy
post 7.Jul.2006, 06:08 PM
Post #7

Moderate drinking from a young age in many southern European countries, such as Italy and Greece, have had the opposite affect. If kids are told not to drink it becomes something they want to do more, with countries such as the UK and Ireland suffering the consequences.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3,282 Jobs
Click here to start your job search

Popular articles