The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Marriage to a Swede

Life and status after marriage

asin
post 24.Jul.2018, 08:14 PM
Post #16

@Am98, Why do you think it is hard to find a job there? Is it because of the latest immigration entries or has been been the same earlier as well? What do you think about the MNC's like Nordea, Swedbank, IBM, Ericsson? Is it hard to find a job there as well?
Go to the top of the page
+
Cheeseroller
post 24.Jul.2018, 10:37 PM
Post #17

yes. Why give a job to an immigrant when you can give a job to a Swede who understand their special culture?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 24.Jul.2018, 10:39 PM
Post #18

That applies to other countries too!!!
+
Am89
post 25.Jul.2018, 07:20 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (asin @ 24.Jul.2018, 09:14 PM) *
@Am98, Why do you think it is hard to find a job there? Is it because of the latest immigration entries or has been been the same earlier as well? What do you think about the ... (show full quote)

Cheeseroller has already answered the question. Employers prefer only locals (Swedes), qualifications doesn't matter really. It has nothing to do with the immigration. But if your future husband have good contacts maybe he can help you to get some job, because things work through contacts here too.
+
Cheeseroller
post 25.Jul.2018, 08:35 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 24.Jul.2018, 11:39 PM) *
That applies to other countries too!!!

Sure, but NOT to the same extent!

I seriously begin to wonder if you are supplementing your pension as a troll for the Swedish government.

Please provide a list of any medium to large businesses in Sweden that are owned or managed by immigrants. If Sweden is as equal opportunity as you claim, I would expect to see a long list!
+
mjennin2
post 25.Jul.2018, 09:47 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (Am89 @ 25.Jul.2018, 06:20 AM) *
Employers prefer only locals (Swedes), qualifications doesn't matter really.

This is inherently untrue.

What Cheeseroller touched upon is, however, accurate - it simply makes more sense to employ someone who is fluent in local language as well as English or whatever other language is used in day to day operations, if it's necessary - which it often is.

You will find that the majority of job descriptions require the applicant to be fluent in English *and* Swedish, both orally and written. This is pretty common sense, but it also isn't a rule; some industries and companies you absolutely must have Swedish fluently, and that's all that matters. Some, they care more about your skills than anything else (we see this in IT all the time). Some truly require both given the international nature of Sweden (such as in healthcare).

I work for an international med-tech company where the only language spoken is English because we deal with suppliers, distributors, labs and hospitals/patients all over the world. The only way to conduct business is for everyone to speak English. I was hired over other applicants specifically because my mother tongue WAS English - more specifically, that my mother tongue was American English - and then secondarily, based on my skillsets.

At the end of the day, being an immigrant is largely irrelevant - what they want is local language fluency, and the education or experience to make yourself valuable to the company. Seems pretty common sense to me?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.Jul.2018, 03:08 PM
Post #22

"I seriously begin to wonder if you are supplementing your pension as a troll for the Swedish government."

No I am not a government agent laugh.gif

"Please provide a list of any medium to large businesses in Sweden that are owned or managed by immigrants. If Sweden is as equal opportunity as you claim, I would expect to see a long list!"

Not necessary, as I have never claimed that Sweden practices equal opportunity hiring guidelines as you claim I have!!!

If a Swede wants to hire a countryman before a foreigner that is up to him/her,
people get hired for a lot of things, one important thing is the ability to "fit in"...That's something that a foreigner may be lacking...
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Jul.2018, 05:22 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 25.Jul.2018, 03:08 PM) *
No I am not a government agent laugh.gif

What have you done to Trow?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 25.Jul.2018, 05:35 PM
Post #24

Err, ahhh...Who??? Me???
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: