The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Forskola and parental leave

Does child's forskola affect father's leave?

cats
post 11.May.2016, 01:57 PM
Post #1

I moved to Uppsala last month for work with my husband and 1 year old son. We are in the process of registering at försäkringskassan and also trying to sign the kid up for forskola so both he and my husband can start learning Swedish. We found out that my husband has the right to parental leave for at least several months, but we don't know exactly how much yet. If our son goes to forskola, will it affect my husband's right to paid parental leave? Is it possible to have the kid at forskola part time and still get paid parental leave part time? Or is there some amount of forskola that doesn't affect paid parental leave? I'm hoping somone else has been in this situation before, because we have to choose his forskola attendance hours this week but försäkringskassan hasn't given us very good information! Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to the top of the page
+
cats
post 11.May.2016, 02:08 PM
Post #2

One more thing: when we briefly talked to someone at försäkringskassan they mentioned L days and S days, but it wasn't clear what that was about. They said they can't give us specific information until we get personnummers, which will be in 1.5 weeks if we're lucky! If anybody can explain I'd be very grateful.
+
badkarma
post 11.May.2016, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Swedish parents are entitles to
480 days of paid parental leave of those,
90 days are reserved for the dad.

Parental leave can be taken up until a child turns eight. The leave entitlement applies to each child (except in the case of multiple births), so parents can accumulate leave from several children.

Outside the 480 paid days, parents in Sweden also have the legal right to reduce their normal working hours by up to 25 per cent until the child turns eight. Do keep in mind, however, that you get paid only for the time you work.

There is also some retroactive benefits that you can be granted, for example "föräldrapenning" 90 days retroactive and "Barnbidrag" I believe you can also get retroactive, but might be under specific circumstances so you have to look that up.
+
cats
post 11.May.2016, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Thanks! Do you know whether it's possible for the parent to take parental leave while the child is in forskola, possibly part time?
+
badkarma
post 11.May.2016, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Believe the whole point with parental leave is that you are home with the kid, for example if the kid is sick or if they have holiday from school / förskola. you cant be home without the kid and take out parental leave, no.
+
littleviking
post 11.May.2016, 06:53 PM
Post #6

if one of you is at home your child can only go up to dagis for up to 15 hours a week. no dagis will accept more then that. And for the days the kids is at dagis you might get less money it worth looking in to it. Either way most likelt both of you can get equal amounts of parental leave which will be determined with FK.
Most parents sned their kids a couple of hours the 15 hours a week even if they will stay more at home. This is done to socialize the kids and since it will probably be 5 hours in 3 days you will most likely get full payment.
badkarma at dagis a child is a few hours while parental leave means a whole day, mostly because while the kid is at dagis you still have to do things related to the child and rest as a parent. also socializing it early will make it easier for the kid to adapt to being 8 hours in dagis 5 days a week, when both parents work. It very recommended by childcare experts for a lot of reasons. And if parents are foreign looking for a job and learning a new language requires then to be out of the house. You cant take your kid to SFI classes or to a job interview.
+
ChocOwl
post 11.May.2016, 07:36 PM
Post #7

Försäkringskassan English
There is quite a lot of information in English on the Försäkringskassan website
+
skogsbo
post 12.May.2016, 11:13 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (cats @ 11.May.2016, 02:08 PM) *
One more thing: when we briefly talked to someone at försäkringskassan they mentioned L days and S days, but it wasn't clear what that was about. They said they can' ... (show full quote)

https:/www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=f%C3%B6r%C3%A4ldraledighet+l%C3%A4gstaniv%C3%A5
https://www.forsakringskassan.se/wps/wcm/co...pdf?MOD=AJPERES
it is the two rates, one is based on 80% of your income, the other is a basic rate or for those with no or lower income. Follow the various links for further information.
+
cats
post 12.May.2016, 01:57 PM
Post #9

Thanks littleviking, I'm glad to hear that! 15 hours a week is just about ideal for us- it's exactly like you said, it will be good for his socialization and learning Swedish, and also give my husband a little bit of time for Swedish classes and errands, etc.

Also thanks skogsbo, I'd read about the two different levels of leave but I didn't know that's what L and S refers to.
+
singh_swe
post 12.May.2016, 02:43 PM
Post #10

Out of 480 days, 90 days are meant to be paid at the Lowest level (Called L days , paid at 180 sek per day before tax) . Remaining days are at Sickness Level (called S days , paid at 80% of your salary, max around 940 SEK per day before tax) , If you are not working then the S days are paid as 250 SEK per day before tax.
Also 60 days are mandatory for each parent whereas the remaining can be transferred to each other.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: