The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

swedbank opening account

low income what to say at meeting

jonrice
post 18.Nov.2014, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Hi people I'm in the process of opening an account with Swedbank (I'm with SEB at the moment) I had to fill in a basic form, name personal number etc.

There going to call beck within 7 days for a interview (I think that's what she said) or meeting. I'm wondering what they want to ask me does any one know. I'm not working at the moment should I just say that. I do have an income and have money sent often from the uk. (I work there 3-4 months a year)

I don't want a Visa card, a meaosto card is fine. Basically can they turn me down I've lived here for 5 years and have a personal number, address and all that.

Any thoughts or advise appreciated
Go to the top of the page
+
SimonDMontfort
post 18.Nov.2014, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Swedbank charge me 195 SEKs a year for my banking card, and another 175 SEKs a year for internet banking.- facts you might want to bear in mind, before opening an account with them.

They do however pay a small amount of interest on e-sparkonto accounts
+
jonrice
post 18.Nov.2014, 10:04 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not bothered about the yearly charge although it seem a little high, seb charges half that.
+
LLHope
post 19.Nov.2014, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Money laundering (and prevention of financing terrorism) law requires that the banks must reasonably identify and have sufficient knowledge about their customers and ask about the purpose of having an account or the services they wish to use (e.g. fund transfers/reception).

If they cannot do this then they are obliged to reject the new customer, and can even terminate old customers that they have not identified. As the rules are tightened more and routines are investigated more by Finance Inspection authority it is even likely now that old established customers that are not easily recognised by banks may have to visit the office or at a minimum send a copy of their passports/id.

The interview, if called, will most likely be for identification purposes and info with regards the need for an account/services.

Sweden has in it's law what is commonly referred to as everyone has the right to a bank account, however it is not exactly that, it is that banks have an obligation to receive deposits unless they have very good reason not to. Tip for opening a bank account is to take cash and try to make a deposit at the same time as requesting a new account, then if refused you should ask for the reason in writing pointing out their obligation to accept deposits.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: