The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

What is a good salary for Malmo?

Salary negotiations

MaggiePP
post 7.Jun.2013, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Hello,

I'm interviewing for a job in Malmo and they have asked me what are my salary expectations. I currently live in USA (the company will be paying for relocation) but I do have EU passport so work permit is not an issue.
I make more than $100k currently and was wondering if I ask for 60,000 SEK before taxes is that too much or I'm shooting myself in the foot by not asking for more? They do not have performance bonuses so I don't expect anything on top of this salary.
Are those enough money to live in Malmo? I like to go out to nice restaurants and bars on the weekends and to travel a lot.
Thank you in advance for all your comments and suggestions.
Go to the top of the page
+
Emerentia
post 7.Jun.2013, 04:48 PM
Post #2

The average Swede earns about 29 000 kr/month.
http://www.scb.se/Pages/TableAndChart____149087.aspx

You can use this site to check what´s the average salary is for your profession. It´s in Swedish though, so you have to translate your profession to Swedish first.
http://www.lonestatistik.se/
+
MaggiePP
post 7.Jun.2013, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Is this number before or after taxes? After taxes from 60k there are about 34-37k left. Which makes it a little above middle class? Although in USA average salary is $40,000 but you can barely meet ends with it if you live on the East Coast big city like NYC or Boston or LA, San Francisco on the West coast.

I checked this site before and my profession is not listed. Mine is combination between business and IT.
+
Emerentia
post 7.Jun.2013, 05:22 PM
Post #4

It´s before taxes.

If you will earn 60 000 before tax, and about 37 000 after you will be above middle class, I would say. Take some profession who earns about the same as you do now, or something similar and compare with that profession if you cant find yours, The average dentist in Skåne earns about 37.000, a lawyer 42.700, a surgeon 52.250 etc (before taxes).

It not as expensive to live in Malmö as it is in Stockholm either. You can get a nice place to live, eat at nice restaurants and travel without any financial problems i would say, with that kind of salary.
+
MaggiePP
post 7.Jun.2013, 06:06 PM
Post #5

Thank you so much. This clarifies things a lot smile.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: