The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

How to top up a-kassa unemployment insurance

to 80% of actual salary

northernlad
post 13.Apr.2019, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Hi

I've been struggling to find information about unemployment insurance provided by a-kassas, unions, govt etc.

I am already a member of STS A-Kassa, which in the event of unemployment pays 80% of your salary BUT capped at 910kr/day before tax (for 22 days per month, so about 20k per month). As my salary is higher than that, I've heard that it's possible to purchase top up insurance so that you receive 80% of your actual salary.

Does anyone know where I can get this from? Another a-Kassa? A union? Some other way? If so, any specific names that are good in terms of unemployment insurance would be great. I know some unions are industry / education specific - i have a degree in Economics.

Also, does the government (Försakringskassan / Arbetsformedlingen) pay unemployed people money in addition to money you get from an a-kassa and union? And are there conditions attached to this?

Thanks a lot
northernlad
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Apr.2019, 04:06 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (northernlad @ 13.Apr.2019, 02:19 PM) *
HiI've been struggling to find information about unemployment insurance provided by a-kassas, unions, govt etc.I am already a member of STS A-Kassa, which in the event of ... (show full quote)

The top up is via your union which you have to be a member of (not just A-kassan), if they have that. The governement does not pay any extra money to you. Also from the first day of unemployement you must register with Arbetsförmedlingen, otherwise you will not get any A-kassan until you do it
+
TheExpatEagle
post 13.Apr.2019, 06:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (northernlad @ 13.Apr.2019, 03:19 PM) *
HiI've been struggling to find information about unemployment insurance provided by a-kassas, unions, govt etc.I am already a member of STS A-Kassa, which in the event of ... (show full quote)

As another poster has pointed you in the right direction I would like to add that the 'top up' insurance only lasts for 100 days of unemployment then it stops paying out. You then revert to basic a-kassa which goes down in steps from 80% to 75% to 70% then finally 65% or 680kr a day.

Another thing is the cap is at just over 18.000 sek a month not 20.000 sek. A-kassa pays out every 2 weeks so you can only get a maximum of 20 days payment a calendar month.

Another thing I will point out is after 300 days when you go from a-kassa to Försäkringskassan you could have a major shortfall in money if you do not plan the cross over correctly.

For example, you could if you don't plan thing well have no money for a month when crossing over. Försäkringskassan pays out once a month on the 26th for the previous month whereas a-kassa pays out every 2 weeks on the Thursday after the 2 week period.

I've been in the situation and nobody tells you or warns you about the pitfalls.

Good luck!
+
skogsbo
post 13.Apr.2019, 08:45 PM
Post #4

To add to the above, we had a friend who had an op for a brain tumour so there was no real debate about her ability to work, but it still took the union or their 3rd party insurer nearly 2 months to get their act together. So a cash buffer is worth having as well.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: