The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Closed Topic

The Local Forum RIP 2005 - 2009

This forum is dead to me

Eric Cantona
post 16.Jul.2009, 08:27 PM
Post #31

and what a fine chest it is... cool.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 16.Jul.2009, 08:57 PM
Post #32

I believe in change (or at least I do in theory) and I believe in moderation of forums - in the sense that I believe there is a need for someone to keep an eye on things and make sure discussion is kept reasonably free from personal attacks and within the boundaries of the law and that it is not in breach of the Terms and Conditions of the site. I do not believe it should be the job of a moderator on this - or any other forum - to edit someone's posts, or the topics thereof, unless this person has asked for it. That is just plain rude...

When I first signed up to this forum (sometime in 2005 or early 2006, though I never posted) I found it a vibrant forum, bustling with discussion on a variety of topics. These days it seem to be the odd question about life in Sweden and a bunch of threads which soon enough are turned into religious pie throwing. Sorry, but I'm just not interested in the benefits, or lacks thereof, of Islam. If it was religion I wanted to discuss ALL THE BLOODY TIME I would sign up to a religious forum - not one about Swedish current affairs!

What the forum on The Local has turned into is not terribly entertaining, or even informative anymore.

I'm not quite sure what should, or even could, be done. I do believe it is the right of a community to mould a forum to suit it's wants and needs but I also recognise that it is the right of the owners of a site to develop and maintain a forum to suit its purposes... Personally I will probably just do what I mostly do - vote with my feet and bugger off when I get bored...
+
Plowbridge
post 16.Jul.2009, 09:18 PM
Post #33

Here are my final comments on this matter; I base them on corporate analysis, some guess work and some facts.

The forum has been unmonitored to any great degree since inception until the merger between Toytown and TL provided an opportunity to do something about it. Accordingly Ed Bob's role was expanded into re-launching and managing the forum. These rules including contentious ones like cleansing and editing of comments.(Personally I have always maintained this to be an abuse of privilege by TL and many have agreed, before and since).

In order to placate the complainers, TL put into place non-corporately liable moderators in part only to look as if there was some sort of posters self-control. This ruse only fails because of some the heavy handedness in the editing by the paid staff/management who are effectively cleansing and manipulating content. The justification is only gauged through viewing figures and I would imagine that they have not been affected and perhaps have even increased. Remember that figures can be 6 months in arrears. By this time TL will have the ratings to make it very attractive for advertisers or maybe investment. The potential for selling a growing company without peers would be tempting over the next two years. By which time many expats would have moved on to be replaced with new ones and the old forum fun would be history.

I think that TL is running scared of the forum, being the one area that could depreciate TL's brand and it has been utterly necessary to take away the interesting stuff so instead the participation volumes are increased through RSS feeds and what I recently suspect to be bogus threads raised to be contentious. Any overheated responses can of course be edited/removed.

Finally let me provide some factual information that may put my future participation in doubt. The Air France thread was removed forthwith by TL after an angry ultimatum by an prestige advertiser in the Aeronautical industry. That really shook them up here and Ed Bob who committed the biggest cock-up since Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs XXX rated version, hasn't been seen since. Just an example of the importance of the TL brand over any issues raised by the small core members that use this forum.
+
Jamtjim
post 16.Jul.2009, 09:36 PM
Post #34

Ok let me make myself clear here. I dont blame the mods as such. As has been prevoiusly mentioned they are unpaid and as such are trying valiently to moderate the forum based on a set of poorly thought out and overly PC rules. However these guidelines have been rather over-zealously enforced by "someone" to the detriment of the forum and posts as well as whole threads are deleted seldom with any explanation as to why. Reasonable people take the time and effort to contribute here and when their post are arbitraraly removed, it makes one wonder why bother posting anymore.

Maybe mods are nessessary to guard against flooding and possibly illegal posts. However the effort not to offend anyone is damaging this forum. If individual posters overly offend you so you cant stand it any longer... block them but dont have them censored! If you no longer wish to read what they write well then... erm dont. But dont spoil it for the rest of us. As for personal attacks... if someone is an arsehole (KindMan), well let them be told they are an arsehole (KindMan),they can always use the block function as well.

To Markbase, Puffin and Miss Kitten. This is nothing against you personally but I feel that the time has come for you to quit your roles, at least untill a better set of guidelines is introduced. You are being asked to do an impossible job for no reward while being blamed for things which are not even your fault. Why would you want to do that?

To the Eds... Come on people! 30 odd posts (most from established members) cant be wrong. Give us back our old forum else please rename this feature from "Discuss" to something better fitting to the santised and censored posting which you incidiously wish to cultivate here...
+
Holecutter > The Howl ...
post 16.Jul.2009, 09:36 PM
Post #35

Ah, so I was right...I really should save my previous posts. Its so good to know that I have been right about the whole thing from day one...and resisted sucking up to the new TL and ...bob.

I said then and I'll say again, the Air France thing was the very worse I have ever seen on this site (October 2004 I think is when I started), and was not started by a poster but by TL themselves...with the help of bob of cause. In essence, all the pious self righteous crap they have handed out in the past has, as they say "what goes around comes around" As you can guess, I'm not one of those that kiss and make up.

We have gone through these phases before, and it always got back on track. But this time and for the first time, I don't care if the site and the forum goes down the tubes...and there's always bob we can blame for that.

And before I forget why I got so pissed off with the Air France thread...my wife still is a flight attendant for UAL before that, Pan AM. So us folks wether flight crews or connected families take a very dim view of people like bob and his sick and dim mentality, making jokes at the expense of others who are involved or suffering because of air fatalities.

Critically important, that you make me the number one moderator...?

angry.gif
+
Jamtjim
post 16.Jul.2009, 09:57 PM
Post #36

Sorry, but another quick point.

Despite this thread being active for 16 or 17 hours, the only person from the Admin team to reply is Miss Kitten... an unpaid mod! Good for you Miss K, but I guess it sums up the attitude of the powers that be...
+
Miss Kitten
post 16.Jul.2009, 10:03 PM
Post #37

^
Thanks, Jamtjim. I'm not sure where the other members of the team are, but I'm sure they must be pretty involved in something, otherwise they'd surely be contributing. Anyway, it's nice to be appreciated and thanks to you and others for your kind words of support. smile.gif
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 16.Jul.2009, 10:24 PM
Post #38

Funny. Editor Bob is a man yet Miss Kitten has the balls.
+
Miss Kitten
post 16.Jul.2009, 11:03 PM
Post #39

For what it's worth, on behalf of the TL Mod Squad, I sincerely apologize for all the bullshit
+
Jamtjim
post 16.Jul.2009, 11:15 PM
Post #40

I guess thats the point MK... its just you and not the whole squad!

When is anyone going to say anything official about this? I guess the pussies leave it to kittens...
+
Roger O. Thornhill
post 17.Jul.2009, 09:01 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (collan @ 16.Jul.2009, 05:03 PM) *
I feel that one of the big problems is that many of the users that are solely using this forum to spread hate and inflame the rest of us have found their way here through articles.

Which brings up a ver nice new feature - the managed ignore list.
+
Johno
post 17.Jul.2009, 09:50 AM
Post #42

Just to post something here, though sadly without the eloquence of Holey. (Never thought I would say that). What has happened to TL? One word. Its Bland. Snapshot news items. Vapid Blogs. And Discussion that now lacks any fire in its belly. Lots of the older regulars cannot now be bothered to post. Still perhaps everyone is on holiday and not currently posting. Or perhaps not.
+
jack sprat
post 17.Jul.2009, 10:26 AM
Post #43

Is it not remotely possible that some posters may have either moved back to their home countries or moved on to other countries where life and forums may be just a tad more interesting?
+
Craptastical
post 17.Jul.2009, 10:48 AM
Post #44

As Johno alluded to, a lot of people are on holiday or are doing things which aren't indoors.

It seems that every summer the rate of incoming new posts drops for a while, and then by the end of August it starts back up again.

With that said, I too miss the old TL personality. And I agree with Mzungu, it used to be that one could sit here for hours laughing and posting.

Holey: Perhaps it's time to resurrect the old buttplug thread. If the powers that be are on holiday then it will likely stick around until they return.
+
Moony
post 17.Jul.2009, 10:57 AM
Post #45

I won't take me coat off because I won't be staying long ...

I'm not sure how welcome any comments of mine might be given that I exhausted my gnat-sized attention span long ago and found other pursuits with which to occupy myself, but as someone who has argued in the past for moderation I feel like throwing something in here. The point is that moderation needs the right approach to be successful: if you don't govern by consent then in the long run you'll find that you have no-one left to govern (or no-one who's prepared to stick their necks out to make interesting posts anyway). Editing posts without the consent of the poster is crass and patronising, deleting posts and threads without explanation is tyrannical.

Bad moderation is worse than no moderation at all, so if you can't get it right don't do it.
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Closed Topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: