The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5   Reply to this topic

Any recommendations for a long-haul flight

Flying makes me nervious and I can't sleep

BritVik
post 10.Jan.2012, 10:11 PM
Post #61

Turning the clock back a little, I went on a long haul sea trip, paid for by HM King George VI back in 1951 from Liverpool to Singapore via Alexandria, Aden and Colombo - to join my battalion in Malaya. A journey of some 28 days. Well, it did give us time to acclimatise on the way. Round about that time, BA had its Comet, and after we had arrived, Comet set up a new record from London to Singapore - 28 hours!
In 1960, when I moved to Sweden, SS Svecia took 36 hours from Tilbury to Gbg. A day and a half. Now you fly in an hour and a half. Progress ! !
Me, it takes me a few weeks on my bike. Ah well, you can't have everything, can you.

Oh, and for a long haul - make sure the plane has more than one engine. You can't be too careful.
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jan.2012, 11:10 PM
Post #62

QUOTE (BritVik @ 10.Jan.2012, 10:11 PM) *
. Round about that time, BA had its Comet, and after we had arrived, Comet set up a new record from London to Singapore - 28 hours!Oh, and for a long haul - make sure the ... (show full quote)

My interest in aviation came fro my ex seaman father who went from marine to airborne avionics ( or radio as they used to call it wink.gif ) He built Comets, usually with 4 engines, but after a heavy weekend you could never be sure of a Monday aircraft. laugh.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jan.2012, 11:27 PM
Post #63

Another thing about Comets is that they were built by workers on piece work - they were paid by the number of pieces of fuselage parts they produced. If a riveter slipped with the gun when riveting a part, it could score the panel and would fail the inspection. This would mean a loss of pay for the worker who would often use an illegal fibreglass pen to run out any evidence of scoring. While this meant that the part passed inspection, it did mean that the skin thickness was thinner and lead to earlier metal fatigue. The Comet I was plagued by explosive decompression incidents

Just leaving for a a 6 hour flight to Tenerife - Boeing 737-800 NOT a Comet biggrin.gif
+

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: