The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

The Christmas 2011 thread: ask your questions here

Mincepies, glögg, tomten & how to eat Julbord!

Puffin
post 30.Nov.2011, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Christmas in Sweden?

Post your questions here about Swedish traditions

Or post questions, recipes and any information you have about Christmas traditions from other countries
Go to the top of the page
+
hongkongdanchang
post 30.Nov.2011, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Where I come from, Christians of most denominations celebrate Christmas by going to Chinese language church services.

Sending home-made cards is popular and highlights the artistic side of the makers. Usually they depict the Holy family in a Chinese setting. Like Sweden and the UK, to name two, Poinsettias and Nativity scenes decorate homes, churches and many public places. Ideographs show the Chinese alphabet on streamers and paper chains.

Santa Claus is known also Lan Khoong or Dun Che Lao Ren and he has reindeer too.
+
axiom
post 30.Nov.2011, 08:34 PM
Post #3

I have spent several Christmases in Sweden and I think they are great ! ! !

Love the julbord, I am usually in a sill coma by the end of the day biggrin.gif

This year however I take prettier half abroad for xmas, but the work party is a lifesaver, I'll have my julbord before I go
+
hongkongdanchang
post 30.Nov.2011, 09:00 PM
Post #4

sad.gif I will be having my first work julbord. What are the protocols other than drink too much cheap beer and do a few rounds of the buffet? The only bit I know, is seeing the office girls get a little drunky and tempting me into things cool.gif
+
skogsbo
post 30.Nov.2011, 09:11 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (hongkongdanchang @ 30.Nov.2011, 08:00 PM) *
The only bit I know, is seeing the office girls get a little drunky and tempting me into things cool.gif

normally the youngest most immature person(mr vice) does a big speech, tells a few jokes and buys everyone a round of drinks.
+
swozzie
post 30.Nov.2011, 10:07 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (hongkongdanchang @ 30.Nov.2011, 09:00 PM) *
I will be having my first work julbord. What are the protocols other than drink too much cheap beer and do a few rounds of the buffet? The only bit I know, is seeing the off ... (show full quote)

How do you know that if it's going to be your first work Julbord ? cool.gif
+
Puffin
post 30.Nov.2011, 10:07 PM
Post #7

I will be having my first work julbord. What are the protocols other than drink too much cheap beer and do a few rounds of the buffet? The only bit I know, is seeing the offic ... (show full quote)

As long as you follow the usual order of eating - and not as a friend of mine did shocked her Swedish MIL by placing cheese on the same plate as herring - all should be well wink.gif

It took me a while to get used to the idea of taking a new plate for each course and just leaving the old one behind - none of the Pizza Hut pile ups biggrin.gif where you are only allowed once to the salad buffet
+
Rick Methven
post 1.Dec.2011, 08:08 AM
Post #8

I will be having my first work julbord. What are the protocols other than drink too much cheap beer and do a few rounds of the buffet? The only bit I know, is seeing the offi ... (show full quote)

The first time member of the group has to buy the snaps for everyone else and lead the singing of hej tomte gubba wink.gif
+
gplusa
post 1.Dec.2011, 10:11 AM
Post #9

That's a good point. Your chances of further promotion will be ruined if you forget that formality. Standard practice if you really want to get ahead is to buy double whiskies for everyone. Otherwise they'll just think you're weird.

Oh, and definitely try groping the girls in the office. They love that sort of thing in Sweden.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 1.Dec.2011, 01:33 PM
Post #10

Don't forget to take lots of pictures of your boss. It will be your insurance in dire straits.
+
gplusa
post 1.Dec.2011, 02:32 PM
Post #11

Quite a good idea to take an assortment of fruits with you. For your boss to hold in the photos. Gives the photo a sense of perspective. He/she'll appreciate the gesture.
+
erik68
post 1.Dec.2011, 02:43 PM
Post #12

Say: Skål, ta mig fan! When downing a schnapps or vodka. Also, vodka and schnapps are drunk as shots.
+
Fishtank
post 1.Dec.2011, 03:39 PM
Post #13

And do not forget to speak about weather or whine about something tiny or irrelevant matter at work. The JulBord will taste damn good.

Whining will make you feel intergrated wink.gif
+
lennea
post 1.Dec.2011, 06:59 PM
Post #14

What are the regular spices found in glögg? I understand that recipes can very from person to person, but what spices are almost always present in it?
+
Svensksmith
post 1.Dec.2011, 07:22 PM
Post #15

I'm not sure, but I think the main ingredient is mule piss.
+

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: