The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Temporary job for an English speaking student

Whilst I'm learning Swedish.

djdjdj
post 2.Apr.2014, 02:54 PM
Post #16

I'm only mentioning this because you haven't applied yet, but you might want to consider Stockholm. I came as a student not speaking Swedish and found a job right away as an English "tutor". I was essentially a glorified babysitter for kids that had lived abroad and as such already spoke English, but it was flexible enough to work around my uni schedule (master's), and paid enough to cover my living costs. The company I worked for was crying out for more native English speaking students to meet the demand.

Also, while this surely isn't true of all subjects and all schools, from my experience and the experience of many others I've spoken with (various disciplines), university studies in Sweden are nowhere near as full on as abroad. The workload was a fraction of what it was for me in other countries (I'm comparing to Canada and Australia). I've heard similar remarks from Americans and other European nationals as well. So if you have any previous uni experience you'll likely have no trouble studying "full time" and working part time. I studied at Uppsala btw.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Go to the top of the page
+
*jusso22*
post 2.Apr.2014, 10:27 PM
Post #17

Hi djdjdj,

Im heading to Uppsala this year to study a Masters degree and im Australian. I would love to know what the company was for the tutor/nannying and any other tips you could provide? Have enough saved technically to see me through but would prefer some work so i dont eat too far into it. Also is it a problem if im a male for this sort of job?

Thanks for your help!
+
jim747
post 18.Apr.2014, 10:10 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (kokoko @ 2.Apr.2014, 03:48 PM) *
Full time study is considered 40 hours/week, but that already includes homeworks, labs, seminars, projects, etc. It's not like you attend 40 hours of lectures and then you ... (show full quote)

Wrong. I study full time at the university in Ume?, and I often put in over 60 hours per week as group work and research are not included in the 40 hours study week. It also means meeting at weekends to finely tune presentations etc.
+
passport-stamps
post 18.Apr.2014, 02:33 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (jim747 @ 18.Apr.2014, 10:10 AM) *
Wrong. I study full time at the university in Ume?, and I often put in over 60 hours per week as group work and research are not included in the 40 hours study week. It also m ... (show full quote)

Could it be that your learning habits are a bit slower than others? No disrespect but it is unfair to use your experience as a barometer to determine what uni studies in Sweden will be like for everyone. My uni in America was heavily research-based and when I did my Masters, I took the maximum number of credits permitted every semester and taught full-time freshman courses concurrently, and I still never put it anything close to 60 hours per week. I'd guess about 40 per week but that is even pushing it. Still did all the required work, publications, conferences and all, and ended up with stellar grades.

Your experience cannot be everyone's experience, so it is a bit to unfair to dismiss someone's ability to work full-time and go to school full-time. I did it and in fact, ALL the international students I knew in the US did it. Some of them even had two full-time jobs while being full-time students and ended up with better grades than most Americans.
+
jim747
post 27.Apr.2014, 07:06 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (passport-stamps @ 18.Apr.2014, 03:33 PM) *
Could it be that your learning habits are a bit slower than others? No disrespect but it is unfair to use your experience as a barometer to determine what uni studies in Swede ... (show full quote)

So how would you explain the group? Every individual is slow?
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: