The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Campervan in -30?

Living sort of outside in Umeå

w i l l
post 18.Jun.2013, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Er, I have a slightly odd question. I was thinking of driving my campervan to Umeå... but to live in to save on rental costs (as I need to study there). What are the chances of me not freezing to death in the winter with some kind of basic heating? Actually that is a stupid question... however has anyone experienced living in a campervan or in anything other than a building in Umeå?
Go to the top of the page
+
nickachu
post 18.Jun.2013, 10:21 PM
Post #2

This guy did it!
+
Jules
post 18.Jun.2013, 11:22 PM
Post #3

I'm not sure a standard camper van would have enough insulation to withstand those sorts of temperatures with any degree of comfort. Unless it is very modern and designed for Nordic winters I think you would basically spend more on trying to heat it than you would for rental, and you would not really be in a fit state to study most of the time. Not to mention how do you propose to keep yourself clean?
+
skogsbo
post 19.Jun.2013, 06:19 AM
Post #4

there are numerous problems;

-where are you parking? driving it everyday?
- toileting and washing (as mentioned)
-cooking, where will you waste water go to freeze?
- drinking water storage
- food stuffs etc. is the van heated all day - otherwise everything will freeze the moment you leave.
-...you get the idea...

Vans can be insulated, but even with the foil screens etc. across the windows it will need an independent heater running 24/7, either electric if you can plug in somewhere or fuel(wabasco type). This will be costly and unless it's a new reliable van you won't want to leave it alone when running, just in case there is a fault. There is clearly a hazard with the exhaust emission running a heater and just being it will create condensation and damp problems, over time.

Metal vans tend to radiate heat really well and with what isn't metal being glass, they just aren't designed for insulating. Don't get me wrong it's possible, but it without heating, it won't be any warmer than being in a tent.

I had a t3 for many years, but never really used it that much below zero, certainly not below -10c. It just wasn't practical in terms of drying my climbing or skiing stuff overnight and bit like camping in extreme cold, it becomes a practical exercise in surviving, not everyday living.
+
w i l l
post 19.Jun.2013, 10:59 PM
Post #5

Alright thanks... I think the campervan idea is on hold until the summer then.

I was also wondering... a lot of people have told me that it's pretty much impossible to find a studio apartment to rent in Umeå. Why is that? Or have I been told wrong? Do Swedes only share places? Surely not. What if it was a bit further out of town?
+
rachel.nz
post 20.Jun.2013, 08:54 AM
Post #6

I love the idea of trying to survive in your camper smile.gif My partner and I are moving to Umeå this year for university also. I think the reason it is so hard to find a studio apartment is because of the opposite reason - Swede's don't like to share, they all want to live in the same kind of studio apartment. My partner's been registered with Bostaden for 18 months and that's still not long enough for the kind of flat we're after (1-2 rooms/~40sqm/with kitchen), but you should be able to get what they call an enkelrum or dormitory style with a kitchenette quite easily. But again, if you're willing to live further from university and have a good budget, you'll have more chance). Lycka till!
+
goawai
post 20.Jun.2013, 10:24 AM
Post #7

Renting a garage can be alot cheaper than getting an apartment, and if you're lucky they come with free electricity. Try seeing if you can find anything like that to park your camper in.

A friend of mine lived in his car for a couple of months after his girlfriend kicked him out. He rented a cheap garage (or maybe it was just a space for general storage) that incidentally came with an output for the engine heater that wasn't monitored, so he could watch tv and get heat etc for free. It wasn't too comfy though, so he got rather tired of it quickly.

I guess the camper thing would work outdoors if you could just find a rentable parking space with engine heater outputs (or park at some unused company parking space.)
+
Diefenbaker
post 21.Jun.2013, 02:49 PM
Post #8

I was wondering if your original idea would work if you installed a log burner in your motorhome? I saw a few caravans with chimneys in people's gardens when I was there and there are some video's on Youtube were people have fitted a wood burner to their motorhomes. I'm not sure if they were expecting such low temperatures as you but I was wondering if anyone thought this might be a viable option?
+
w i l l
post 22.Jun.2013, 03:59 PM
Post #9

Cheers. After careful consideration I reckon I'll risk sharing with students over burning myself to death in a camper. Not sure about the van in the garage, sort of defeats the object, bit like paying 2 lots of rent. A tent in a garage might work though. Anyone out there who'd consider insulating their garden shed for a tidy quiet lodger who could help with the mowing once in a while give me a shout.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: