The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Working as a nurse in Sweden- how hard is it?

Johno
post 5.Mar.2013, 09:27 AM
Post #16

Since you are a newcomer, a hint. If you are logged in, click on the posters name and you will see you can send them a message via this board. (Sometimes referred to a PM in posts). Its not usual to disclose direct links in posts and it was 5 years ago wink.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
stephanie921
post 19.Mar.2013, 10:45 PM
Post #17

Hej!

I moved to Sweden almost a year ago from the US where i was an RN. I feel like im going nowhere fast lol and am getting frustrated. A tidbit of my history here in sweden... I did sfi in Sala and was done in 8 months with 3 months off for summer. When i was done in Dec we moved to Västerås and i missed the cutoff for registration and had to wait till march to begin SASgrund. So i started that this week(my opinions are being held asof now cause im not quite sure how i feel about it).
But i am frustrated because after this 20 or 40week class (my teacher said that 80% of the class will need 40wksto pass) i still need to do SAS 1,SAS 2 and SAS 3 and ive been told those are 5wks or 10wksdepending. Then after all this I need to pass several tests for nursing and find my own praktik of sorts for i dunno how long... Btw i did have my education varified with SOcialstyrelsen. ANd all i keep thinking is that this Swedish im learning is never gona help me pass these tests for nursing because that is a whole notherlangauge in itself! Sooo i have many frustrations with this whole process, but im happy to hear that IF and WHEN i eventually finsih all this I will have a job. lol
+
cmany
post 7.May.2013, 03:53 AM
Post #18

Hey Stephanie 921!
I would like to find out how it went or is going for u? I am also a certified nurse and socialstyrelsen evaluated that i need only svenska 3 and then pratik to work as a nurse in Sweden.I am currently studying SAS 1. but the road looks tooooo long,i wonder if i will ever be able to speak Swedish...i mean all the diseases and signs and symptoms of all diseases,human anatomy and physiology in Swedish!!! all these seem almost impossible.please fill me in how it went or is going for you.i am considering giving up.I presently work part time in an elderly care home.but of course there we dont use many medical jargon there.
+
Kaipa
post 7.May.2013, 11:44 AM
Post #19

OP As you are already learning Swedish you can see that it is going to be a long road. To put it into perspective imagine someone who is already a qualified nurse who wants to work in the UK, Australia etc but has no English.That person has to be capable of using the language at a very high level.This means high level comprehension, high level production and good pronunciation. I have never managed to have a student acquire this level in under 3 years of full time study. Normally it would take about 5 years. Don't set your sights on just being a nurse. Be realistic. Look at your language learning as an end in itself and not as a means to an end. Treat it in the same way you would if you were undertaking an undergraduate course. Define yourself by it and try and patient. Good luck
+
*cami*
post 15.May.2013, 07:24 AM
Post #20

I'm a nurse and I want to come in September in Sweden. I want to specialize here. I want to go to the Swedish language intensive courses. Who can help me?
+
*Anna C*
post 2.Jun.2013, 09:58 AM
Post #21

Hi there!
I enjoyed reading your posts and found it very informative.
I am a South African registered nurse. I completed a 4 year nursing degree and I did a post basic course in Intensive care nursing. (Critical Care nursing).
The international company that my husband is working for will be transferring him to Sweden early to middle 2014. I would like to work as a nurse in Sweden. I am wondering about the following:
1.)Can I send my application for an assessment of foreign nurse training at this stage already while I am still living outside Sweden?
2.)How long will it take to get an answer from the Socialstyrelsen of whether my training meets the knowledge requirements for a Swedish license to practise?
Thanks
Anna
+
ikemun
post 23.May.2019, 06:15 PM
Post #22

Let me formally tell my story.
I moved to Sweden a few years ago and while there I finished SFI C and D. I was working as a warehouse worker and was unable to get a permanent job, therefore I made the decision of studying nursing in Scotland. This decision was taken due to the long process of getting into SAS GRUND, KOMVUX and Nursing School, which would probably take me more than 5 years.
I am now a third year mental health nursing student here in Scotland and although I have gotten a job offer from NHS, my wish is to return to Sweden, to work as a mental health nurse.
So I was wondering about the chances of moving back to Sweden and becoming a registered Psychiatric/mental health nurse. I speak Swedish (not fluently), so I would have to get done with the SAS and then I would like to start working as a nurse. How possible is it to get a nursing job as a foreigner straight after finishing the Swedish as a second language (SAS)? And is there a high demand of nurses in Sweden?
And lastly, is there anybody in here who works as a nurse in Sweden with a nursing certificate acquired in another EU country or outside the EU? Please share your experience.

Tack
+
skogsbo
post 23.May.2019, 08:09 PM
Post #23

I'd use your reasonably fluent Swedish to contact the governing body covering that sector of nursing? Without them recognising your UK qualification anything else is just speculation.
+
kiwi3
post 13.Jul.2019, 09:28 AM
Post #24

Hi Everyone,

This is a first time I am posting smile.gif .

I am an Enrolled Nurse/Nurse Associate currently working in New Zealand. I am a theatre nurse with over 15 years of experience in a variety of nursing fields. I would like to move to Sweden as this has always been my great wish. I was wondering if anyone out there can give me any realistic idea to where and how do I look for the job and most of all do I have any chance of getting a job in Sweden. I have been reading your posts and can see I have to learn Swedish but in a mean time I was wondering if there is any chance of me finding a job as a healthcare assistant while I am working on my language.

Thanx to anyone who is reading this and posting
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: