The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

An open letter to Miss Kitten

And any other Mods.

Rick Methven
post 9.Apr.2012, 12:08 PM
Post #16

As such I would like to nominate both Rick and Johno for such positions

No thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Jamtjim
post 9.Apr.2012, 12:15 PM
Post #17

Oh go on ... Super Rick and the Mighty Kitten against the trolls... smile.gif

It's a shame, but I understand your decision; I wouldn't want the job even if I was in the highly unlikely position to be offered it!
+
Johno
post 9.Apr.2012, 12:24 PM
Post #18

I also decline. You need a thick skin, an even temperament and some detachment, none of which I possess.

On long term posters, just note that Streja sadly went saying she didn't enjoy it on here anymore. She is missed. Some should heed the dangers of being continually aggressively argumentative and nasty to folk. But they are the ones who won't see it or won't care. And I really admire the way Puffin keeps her cool and turns the other cheek occasionally. But even she says she dislikes it when she feels imposed upon.
+
Jamtjim
post 9.Apr.2012, 12:57 PM
Post #19

So here is the position: we seem to all agree that the forum is in need of more effective moderation, but yet none of us are prepared to assume the responsibility ourselves. I guess we therefore lose the right to complain about the standard of the moderation or the efforts of the only moderator we have! sad.gif

I agree with you both about Streja and Puffin. Like you said, Streja felt she did not gain any enjoyment from participating. I know not why Puffin stopped moderating, I can only assume she felt to all got a bit much. 007 also left as she, like myself, felt that the site was being increasingly dominated by trolls and that it just wasn't fun any more. My raison d'être as it were was more due to a reincarnated interest than an improvement in the general situation. Indeed with Puffin's resignation, the situation has deteriorated yet further.

Personally, I try to limit my argumentative nature to topics which I have a keen interest and try not argue anything for any reason. I accept and acknowledge that I can be aggressive at times and do tend to "go for the kill" when I feel I am on top. If this causes offence then I am genuinely sorry, but yet not sorry enough that I promise to mend my ways. I am of the opinion that if one posts here that one needs to accept certain consequences and if you read the threads here one is likely to discover thing about which one does not agree. The choice is an easy one... argue your case or retreat and let the point go unopposed. I'm an argumentative and truculent bastard so I generally prefer the former. wink.gif
+
entry
post 9.Apr.2012, 02:30 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Rick Methven @ 9.Apr.2012, 11:45 AM) *
Being a moderator is a labour of love for which you will never be thanked for and more often lambasted for as it is really not moderation in the normal meaning of the word, be ... (show full quote)

Rick, the displays of contrived indignation and hypersensitivity is a bit much here and elsewhere, the thankless task of the moderator aside.

To the drama people who never seem not to be offended, close your pretty little eyes, put your fingers in your ears if the bad people say or type something on the computer screen, TV or radio. Click your ruby slippers together and say there is no place like home,There is no place like home.

Or else skip to the next post, news article, TV channel or radio station if you are too sensitive to make your objections known.
+
Johno
post 9.Apr.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #21

Not quite sure which side of the fence you are sitting with that post. I myself would shut up and say no more, except that I am sensitive to that fact that some posters come on here genuinely needing help, information, advice. As an example Lingonberry who was on here the other day is one who some would remember as posting asking for help a number of times over the last 2 years. Whether foolhardy in buying a flat was not for us to say. She needed help and usually got it.

So to those who say if you can't take the flack, go elsewhere, wind your necks in. One purpose of this forum is to share views on life in Sweden in a helpful way, not just to have fun insulting others, waving your willy about, etc.
+
Ambre
post 9.Apr.2012, 02:50 PM
Post #22

well said !!

Attached Image
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Apr.2012, 03:28 PM
Post #23

About leaving here:

Hell, everybody at some time does it...it's called re arming! tongue.gif

Between Streja and 007 they have approximately 30,000 posts...they will be back, because this place is so horrible you have to participate.

About "Trolls" some provide good fun...they are not all bad.

Besides we all have a bit of Troll in us.

Enjoy,
GH
+
mångk
post 9.Apr.2012, 07:04 PM
Post #24

WARNING! Large post, could offend some readers. Not recommended for overtly sensitive posters.

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 9.Apr.2012, 12:30 PM) *
My objection was and is that an entire thread rather than the offending posts were removed. If something is written which breaches the terms and conditions, then sure remove t ... (show full quote)

That is the whole point of moderation. To remove posts that breach the T&C's not to express an opinion.

The Local makes revenue by stimulating debate, readership and participation rather than restricting it.

If there is a debate, like the one between Jamtjim and Trow, it is not the purpose of the moderator to stop it or delete the debate at the request of one of the parties, purely because one of the parties is not 'winning'. Nor is it the purpose of the moderator to stop a debate purely because their opinion appears not to be 'winning'.

@ Miss Kitten - I am not attacking you with the above statement. So please do not take it that way. I was not aware that you were moderating - that you can take as a compliment!

I myself feel a little guilty for not coming to the aid of the OP in the cat poo thread as I happened to agree totally with them

It is unfortunate that you did not. It could have been most interesting and informative!

QUOTE (Johno @ 9.Apr.2012, 10:51 AM) *
But I just suggest that posters on this forum note that is could be a bit friendlier to newcomers.

That I agree with. (See, it does happen sometimes!)

QUOTE (Johno @ 9.Apr.2012, 10:51 AM) *
Even though the housing thread woman the other day got trashed though her attitude, and I joined in, but at least she gave as good as she got. The poster at the start of this row didnt imho.

Thats perhaps is a matter for debate! wink.gif

The new OP in the housing thread made one not very wise comment and approached the subject in a somewhat 'light' manner and a bunch of people launched an attack on her. As you pointed out towards the end of the thread, if the OP in that instance had answered questions or appeared a little less complacent, then some of the comments directed at her could have been avoided. (Note when you questioned the OP in the manner you did, I did not jump in and make personal comments about yourself - whether based on fact or fiction.)

In the offending cat poo thread, in hindsight, perhaps Trows use of the word 'narcissistic' flavoured the thread to a degree, so to speak. However, I am familiar with the way that Trow posts and took his use of the word to mean no more than he thought the OP was being a bit selfish or self centred.

After a series of comments by the OP, I was not absolutely certain what the OP was getting at. So I asked a completely unbiased and impartial question of the OP so that I understood what the point of the thread was. In other words I asked the OP was this the position the OP was taking.

The OP answered the question of 'Is this what you mean?' with something along the lines of 'You obviously have no idea about being a parent!' I did not respond to that statement with a personal attack, nor did I respond to the OP's PM or drag that into the thread. What I tried to do, in a logical and impartial manner, was expand the thread to include more rational discussion. I cannot be responsible for the illogical, irrational or emotional 'leaps' of others.

If I wanted to (borrowing Jamtjims expression) go for the kill, that would have been too easy without even coming close to breaching the T & C's. That was certainly not my objective. I certainly did not state or imply that the OP was a 'bad' parent. I raised the question of adequate supervision.

I will be very careful in choosing my words for this next bit;

In my world it is common sense and common knowledge that at some stage toddlers are going to fall over or put something in their mouths that they shouldn't (hell, they even crap their pants - can you believe that!). This knowledge does not magically appear in a mother and fathers head the instant the baby pops out of the mother!

At that particular point in time that a toddler falls over or puts that thing in their mouth it could be said that there was inadequate supervision at that particular point in time to prevent that unwanted event. It most cases it is nothing more than that.

It is a matter of risk assessment and common sense. You cannot blame the Wright brothers for 911.

QUOTE (Jamtjim @ 9.Apr.2012, 01:57 PM) *
Personally, I try to limit my argumentative nature to topics which I have a keen interest and try not argue anything for any reason. I accept and acknowledge that I can be agg ... (show full quote)

You forgot stubborn! wink.gif You usually present your arguments in a rational & logical manner and don't rely purely on insults. So hats off for that.

Perhaps with three mods, the racists, trolls and other people solely bent on causing offence and trouble can be rooted out.

I usually have an objection to assisting persons to profit without renumeration. But conditioned on the return of Streja and/or 007, I would consider it. IF there was a clear consensus between The Local, the current moderators and other MVP's (most valuable posters), myself and it was not expected 24/7. unsure.gif
+
mångk
post 9.Apr.2012, 07:07 PM
Post #25

A trowbridge, an old goat and a troll.

Sounds like a Norwegian fable! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 9.Apr.2012, 04:28 PM) *
Besides we all have a bit of Troll in us.

Although I don't recall that happening to the old goat in the version I heard! tongue.gif
+
Rod Munch
post 9.Apr.2012, 08:52 PM
Post #26

===To the drama people who never seem not to be offended, close your pretty little eyes, put your fingers in your ears if the bad people say or type something on the computer screen, TV or radio.===

Now this is the best piece of advice that could be offered to anyone here. If you don't like the thread, skip it. Don't comment on it or whatever you have to do. When you're watching a tv program that you don't like, do you call up the station and complain? No. You turn the channel. Do the same here. Don't try to distract threads, b*tch to the moderators or start looking up people's IP addresses. Just skip it.
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 9.Apr.2012, 09:05 PM
Post #27

Looks to me like just another wasted rant by our leading, resident ranter.

Would change the title, since we are back to square one, to: "A Lost Letter to Miss Kitten," but I can't since I am a recently arrived poster!

Good night but be sure to wake me if Miss Kitten wakes, and responds from her most deserved slumber.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Apr.2012, 09:24 PM
Post #28

If I was a moderator?...God forbid!

My most valuable contribution to this forum of lunatics, Trolls, liars, BS artists, fools and goats, etc..

Would be the promise of an up to date and accurate...body count and casualty report! huh.gif

P/S:

As an addition...wouldn't this place be great if it supported web cams?

Imagine seeing someone actually pointing a gun at you!!!!!!!!!!! rolleyes.gif
laugh.gif
+
Jamtjim
post 9.Apr.2012, 10:09 PM
Post #29

Looks to me like just another wasted rant by our leading, resident ranter.

That's funny because it looks to me rather like the (to quote independent posters) "mad" death throws from a "verbose troll" and thoroughly debunked conspiracy crackpot (those were my words by the way)! Oh well... each to their own. (@MK et al.. I'm sorry but you can't expect me to look a gift horse in the mouth can you? Especially a mouth so donatably equestrian as Trollbridge's)

Would change the title, since we are back to square one, to: "A Lost Letter to Miss Kitten," but I can't since I am a recently arrived poster!

I'm sure that you would... but you can't! Hahaha smile.gif

Good night but be sure to wake me if Miss Kitten wakes, and responds from her most deserved slumber.

Sorry Trow, but isn't there something a little freaky not to mention disturbing and stalky about hanging around in the vain anticipation that MK will not urinate on your pyrotechnics? Hmm good luck with that and be sure to have enough Cleanex within reach!

It is funny, but every time you post, this tune springs to mind!
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Apr.2012, 07:43 AM
Post #30

usually have an objection to assisting persons to profit without renumeration. But conditioned on the return of Streja and/or 007, I would consider it. IF there was a clear consensus between The Local, the current moderators and other MVP's (most valuable posters), myself and it was not expected 24/7.

There is no way that you can ensure that either Streja or 007 will return. Telling them that they are special and needed could just be making a stick to beat you with, by elevating their MVP status. As far as 24/7 goes, some posters want moderator action when it suits them and to be left alone when it does not. So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The T&C's are written deliberately loose to cover all and any eventuality and to protect TL's backside so it is always open to personal interpretation unless it is a clear threat of physical violence or libellous character assassination. If you know anything about how forums like this work, you would realise that if a poster is banned, for trolling or other offences, the account is still there, they can read posts, just not write them, unless they register a new account, and often send nasty PM's to moderators. Puffin has had many really nasty PM's from posters.
+

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: