The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »    Reply to this topic

Login problems with TL

Cookies and Chrome

Snood
post 7.Sep.2012, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Is anyone else experiencing problems with The Local and staying logged in?

I generally leave my browser logged in to The Local although I get automatic logged out when I log in elsewhere (please enable multiple sessions TL).

I often run into problems with the cookies keeping me in a state of limbo. Sometimes I click to comment on something and it then tells me to login, so I follow the login link given and it immediately tells me I'm already logged in however I remain unable to post. The Sign Out link in the site header remains no matter what, if I click it it doesn't actually log me out. I'm being kept in this state of not properly logged in or out.

Clearing the TL cookies fixes the problem and logs me out but the problem returns later.
Go to the top of the page
+
Johno
post 7.Sep.2012, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Mixed bag of problems here. But my take is that The Local is not brilliantly engineered or resourced. Yesterday Discussion was down for a good period. And it happens regularly that the site is simply not available for a period.

Cookies and browsers another issue. I commented once before that I was astounded that The Local put up over 20 cookies when loaded, and got shot down. But to me that is both incompetence, and greed and desperation to show just how successful this site is. But you have to have cookies enabled to log in here.

Internet Explorer started to go slow for me and Google Chrome found to be quite a bit quicker and more reliable. But with Internet Explorer, you have a setting to delete all content not related to any site on your favourites list on exiting. But Google wants your data first, wanting you to sign in etc. If the same feature exists I havent found it yet.

The EEC law re cookies which has sites now even asking your permission to use cookies before letting you in is a waste of time. Some sites wont let you in unless you agree, and if you want passwords saved for the most innocuous site you must leave its cookies saved after browsing. So cookies are a necessary evil for many sites.

I regularly prune the cookie list on my computer, leaving only those I know do something to my advantage. Too much time on my hands I hear you cry. But when I recall someone on here saying he didnt use store cards because he didnt want data gathered on his life by others, he didnt say what he did about cookies with his computing. Same issue.

So whats your take on this ?
+
byke
post 7.Sep.2012, 09:05 AM
Post #3

The UK is the only country in the EU zone to push this cookie thing.
Yes I too have had issues accessing the local, and having login issues.

According to the drivel on the front page, they have claimed to be part of a suspected DDOS attack along with other Swedish government websites as part of a pro Assange spearhead.

Now this is worrying as either its more low quality bullshit from TL, or does the local have close ties with the swedish government in terms of news distribution and monitoring ? (Trow?) LOL.
(It would explain a lot)

Personally I think they are dividing the databases up - but who knows.
+
Hisingen
post 7.Sep.2012, 09:29 AM
Post #4

I have found that I can be logged in for the discussion columns, but not for the news comment columns, despite the heading saying 'Sign out'- meaning I am supposed to be signed in. I.e. 'The left hand knoweth not what the right hand doeth'
Somewhere along the line there is the inevitable 'datafel', where someone has made a cockup of the procedure but will not admit to it. rolleyes.gif
+
skogsbo
post 7.Sep.2012, 10:18 AM
Post #5

Same here, often logged out, but still in. Or in, but can't comment. Always fine if on smartphone, so its a local problem. It was the same on ie7, then 8. I have another machine on ie9 but that's not for general surfing etc. Will try it one day.
+
Svensksmith
post 7.Sep.2012, 11:27 AM
Post #6

Lots of problems. Kinda frustrating.
+
Gordy
post 7.Sep.2012, 01:31 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Snood @ 7.Sep.2012, 08:26 AM) *
(please enable multiple sessions TL).

+1 to that, I use the Local on 3 or 4 different machines regularly and it's a real pain having to log in each time I use a different machine.

It's the only forum I use that doesn't allow multiple sessions. sad.gif
+
Kn33grow
post 7.Sep.2012, 05:22 PM
Post #8

The local,while you are on it why not make external links open on a separate tab?Its bad business for you for visitors to be directed away from your site and its irritating for us to be directed away from what we have been reading.
+
Puffin
post 7.Sep.2012, 07:52 PM
Post #9

lots of login problems . browser makes no difference
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 7.Sep.2012, 07:57 PM
Post #10

I use Chrome and have TheLocal as one of my start up pages, I have no log-in problems now.

Just set it as a startup after you have logged into TheLocal.

P/S: Set the browser to remember passwords too.
+
Gordy
post 27.Nov.2012, 10:07 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Snood @ 7.Sep.2012, 07:26 AM) *
I click to comment on something and it then tells me to login, so I follow the login link given and it immediately tells me I'm already logged in however I remain unable t ... (show full quote)

3 months on and I am still having this problem (I normally use Chrome but I tested IE9 yesterday and it has the same problem also).

The only device I have that keeps me logged in properly is my Windows Phone 7.5.

***THE LOCAL CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM***

While you are at it the edit button (for the short time it is there) is currently not working for me, I have noticed another poster mentioning this yesterday as well.

And for your own sake you should change the board settings so that links open in a new tab. Currently links open in the current browser window so everyday you are directing traffic away from your site with the current setting.
+
Puffin
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:09 AM
Post #12

I messaged TL last week about this problem - they have not bothered to reply

I can no longer post at all on the news page
+
Gordy
post 27.Nov.2012, 11:44 AM
Post #13

Maybe if people could repeatedly post about the problem on the Local's Twitter and Facebook pages they might take notice and do something about it?

N.B. I have neither a Twitter nor Facebook account myself.
+
Hisingen
post 28.Nov.2012, 05:06 PM
Post #14

The attitude of those behind the local is nothing short of #%&//())=???(/&%¤. To say the least. Logging in or off just to make a comment on the news side, being told you are out when you know b****y well you are in - 'cos it tells you so. Then suddenly you can make a comment, then send it and the b****y screen goes blank and you can get no further other than by trying - repeat trying - to go back on your browser. Then when, at a later time, you look at the news item to which you made a comment, and your comment is there. OR not, depending on whether there is a 'X' in the month, or if the thermometer reads +20°C and it is snowing.
Those lazy bar stewards at the local need to extracto digitum and do something about it. They are alienating just the people who keep them in a job by allowing this so-called computer failure to not only continue, but increase in its errors.

I wish that we could make a certain comment that would blow the damned fuses and cause the whole site to collapse. That way we might get a reaction from the idiots hiding behind the screen.

One thing I know - and that is I am not alone in having these kind of feelings. It is a pity that we cannot get together and organise a mass 'invasion' and create a DOS for them, and then maybe we would get something done.
Or are they still locked in the Windows 30 era and using the old 5¼" floppies? It wouldn't surprise me. But there is, of course yet another explanation.

They are having their fika - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
angry.gif
angry.gif
+
Puffin
post 28.Nov.2012, 11:55 PM
Post #15

The local doesn't seem to care
+

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: