The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Fake passport spam epidemic

Can TL do something about it?1

Snood
post 12.Apr.2013, 12:47 PM
Post #1

These fake passport spam posts are coming every other day now. Is there anything The Local can do to prevent these from happening? It would be interesting to see if all these users posting come from the same IP address.
Go to the top of the page
+
ElectricEye
post 12.Apr.2013, 12:58 PM
Post #2

The Local could just run a banner add to tell everyone that the best place to get false documents is actually in the waiting room at Migrationsverket office, they are sold almost openly! rolleyes.gif
+
Hisingen
post 12.Apr.2013, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Or alternatively block them completely. The other day they extended over the whole of the 'Today's active topic' page.
Why does The Local support criminal activity ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
+
intrepidfox
post 12.Apr.2013, 05:43 PM
Post #4

I love the fake passports as i change the titles and send them really nasty messages with the F word. They even reply calling me a fool. Who is the fool? i ask my self
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Apr.2013, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Why can't a policeman order from these people and then find out who they are and arrest them?

Or, am I being overly simplistic? unsure.gif
unsure.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Apr.2013, 10:58 AM
Post #6

I just received a PM from our fake friends

"we are the world know and best producers of high quality fake and real passport we don't mean harm to any one ok. so if you are inetered then you let us know . thanks"

Going by their spelling the passports must be amazing fakes rolleyes.gif
+
Jamtjim
post 13.Apr.2013, 11:19 AM
Post #7

The truth is guys that those in charge at The Local, are not really bothered about the spam nor do they seem to give a damn if any of their readers were stupid enough to be ripped off by these people.

Ages ago, and many times since, a suggestion has been sent to Admin which would virtually wipe out this problem, but they have repeatedly ignored it. The suggestion is that there is a "probationary" period, between a new poster registering, and him or her getting posting rights. This would mean that a registration would have a little "value" and not just be a throw-away one use thing.

Sure, spammers could in theory register and wait a week or so, then post, but it would require a bit more organisation to do and thus be more time consuming for them. I doubt they would bother.

"we are the world...

We are the world,
We are the the wankers,
We are the ones to post a dirty scam,
So let's start spamming...

Scamming For Spammers, 2013
+
Johno
post 13.Apr.2013, 01:18 PM
Post #8

The suggestion is that there is a "probationary" period, between a new poster registering, and him or her getting posting rights.

I thought that this was the case years ago but then ceased. Just as "Bob" was the guy you turned to with problems. But the truth is that The Local would have to put in resource or give someone a regular task, and they are not prepared to do that. As said by them the other day, only the most squeaky wheel gets oiled these days. If anything convinces that The Local dont care about their regular users its this.

ps In the last 12 hours there have been 4 different pedallers of the same crap. Its beyond a joke.
+
Hisingen
post 13.Apr.2013, 02:42 PM
Post #9

And the telephone number these sods quote is in the Camaroons, which wouold cost anyone foolish enough to phone there a small fortune.
You mention the TL only oils the squeaky wheel. Well I reckon they have run out of oil for even that, since their reaction is less than zero if that is now possible.
Look at the first page of 'Today's active topics', and you will see it full of the scammers. Even changing the titles does little to put them off, they are so thick, thicker than two short planks. That must surely also apply to anyone falling for their crap. Yes, their spelling says everything about the quality of their very dubious wares, also. But they are so thick that it seems that nothing goes into their heads.
Worse than pikeys, and that is saying something. But at least the police are awake to them, seemingly these particuloar scammers are not attracting any legal response.
But surely The Local has the ability to withdraw their 'membership' thereby restricting the possibility of actually making postings? Or is all that purely 'pie in the sky', and the so-called editors, or moderators, are indulging in their Rip van Winkle sleep.
+
The Local
post 13.Apr.2013, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Thank you for the feedback, we have deleted the spam that flooded the site today.

We are experimenting with commenting functions on The Local (you may have noticed our new system below the news articles) and we will look into whether we can reinstate a waiting period for new members of the discussion board (in the hope of discouraging spammers).

Thanks again, have a nice weekend

TL
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Apr.2013, 08:30 PM
Post #11

More scams. When TL was on line i sent a PM to them but no reply. No probs, i can send more abusive mails to the scammers
+
Hisingen
post 13.Apr.2013, 09:37 PM
Post #12

Seems as though The Local has been attentive to our comments after all, and at last action is being taken that maybe will put an end to those criminals plaguing these forums. Let us hope that no-one was fool enough to fall for the scams. In any case they would never admit it, knowing the people that are on here so often.
Hopefully all is well that ends well.
Have a nice weekend all.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Apr.2013, 10:06 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (The Local @ 13.Apr.2013, 03:37 PM) *
Thank you for the feedback, we have deleted the spam that flooded the site today.We are experimenting with commenting functions on The Local (you may have noticed our new syst ... (show full quote)

A good idea, but the spammers only have to make 20 accounts and post whenever they like. The problem would be that many first time posters would be put off as many post when they have something on their hearts. A good idea would to be a block for the words fake passports.

I have also found that if i edit their topic with spam etc and then send them an e-mail they usually give up after a few posts
+
Hisingen
post 15.Apr.2013, 04:01 PM
Post #14

They are back again today under a different name. I think that The Local should operate a filter whereby such a combination of words such as fake documents etc could be picked up and deleted. They pick you up if you use the wrong words or too many capital letters in a heading, so why not word combinations that could stop these felons?????????
+
intrepidfox
post 15.Apr.2013, 04:49 PM
Post #15

There were a couple this morning about passports and fake tablets. I altered the titles and as normal sent a nasty PM to them and reported them as abuse. They were deleted by TL after about 10 minutes.

I found them on the their home page before and on another site, a complaint. You send 25% in advance (via Russia) and then they send a picture over the net of you order. Then they demand the other 75% and claim that they send the doc´s by DHL etc. It is so dangerous as apart from the 600 Euro´s which you will lose they have all your personal details.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: