The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Departing from Stockholm.

*Streja*
post 24.Jan.2006, 09:48 PM
Post #31

It is hard to be social sometimes. I really had to try when I moved back to Sweden from London. I got my own flat and a job but was so lonely, had no friends in the town I got my job and flat. So I decided to go out on my own. I took the train or bus to Göteborg and just went to clubs on my own. After a few times there I met a young girl who I became friends with. I had lots of fun. A while after I decided to move to Göteborg. I got a job in a suburb before even getting somewhere to live. It was hard but I made it.
Go to the top of the page
+
Benzed
post 24.Jan.2006, 10:32 PM
Post #32

QUOTE (Streja)
I took the train or bus to Göteborg and just went to clubs on my own. After a few times there I met a young girl who I became friends with.

Whoa, that´s really gutsy! Aren´t you married now? And aren´t you Swedish? Maybe I have no idea, I post so sporadically. I figured if you came back from London it was with the soon to be English husband... anyway that´s an interesting story. I must say I have been fortunate in developting a great little network of friends very quickly, with new members seemingly being added almost every week.

Ah, the rewards of beer drinking :wink:
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 10:34 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Benzed)
Ah, the rewards of beer drinking :wink:

yes we saw your picture
+
Benzed
post 24.Jan.2006, 10:38 PM
Post #34

You disapprove?
+
*Streja*
post 24.Jan.2006, 10:49 PM
Post #35

Nope Benzed not married. smile.gif My sambo came later, I met him online in fact.

I am Swedish yes. I lived in London for about a year. I had had enough of house mate trying to kill herself and being depressed, only being offered secretary jobs and also to top it off I was sexually assaulted in the street. Plus my then boyfriend broke up with me in an email...so back to Sweden it was and boy was it silent. I went from busy London to very silent Swedish countryside living with my parents in a big house LOL. Then moved to a small town nearby...then Göteborg! How's that for 5 years in short!
+
Alice Is Back
post 24.Jan.2006, 11:16 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (Benzed)
You disapprove?

no but I had a nice laugh laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
+
Benzed
post 24.Jan.2006, 11:48 PM
Post #37

Aaron - ??

Streja - that´s sad, scary, cool and awesome all in one. It´s definitely brilliant that things have turned out so good for you now anyway, just sorry you couldn´t have had a cracking time in London like myself :?

I mean look at me, I even say things like "cracking" now :wink:
+
Alice Is Back
post 25.Jan.2006, 01:09 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (Benzed)
Aaron - ??

???
+
*Mark Boy*
post 25.Jan.2006, 08:31 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (Zara)
markboy, surely your boyfriend must know people? doesn't he have a social life? maybe introduce you to some people :?:

Morning Zara, my boyfriend lived away from Sweden for almost 6 years and some of his friends don't live in Stockholm but the remaining friends that he does have here we get on very well. The social thing is sometimes 'nerve wrecking' but what I miss more than anything is a working routine. Joakim and I get on very well not just as boyfriends but as friends so socially he and I have fun together, it's the daytime routine I need to put right!
+
*Mark Boy*
post 25.Jan.2006, 08:35 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Lala)
Bit off topic, sorry, but was wondering are you nurses ( both to Hannah and Mark)? Im hoping to come to Sweden to work as a nurse, I've been qualified one year and am learning swedish, I was hoping you could maybe tell me anything you know about the job situation there? I know in general the jobs market is pretty poor, but is it the same as elsewhere where there are lots of nursing jobs going?

Thanks, and Im sure you'll like Edinburgh Mark, Its a nice city, lots of jobs going too!

hej Lala, it appears that there are lots of jobs for nurses here but you definately need to be more than fluent with the language. Even working with elderly patients Swedish is a must as many don't speak that much English.

Sweden does treat it's nurses very well and like professionals both salary and promotional! UNLIKE the UK.

What field of nursing did you train in, I did adult and specialized in Accident and Emergency!

GOOD LUCK!
+
*Mark Boy*
post 25.Jan.2006, 08:41 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (FR)
I don't understand why one would sit alone in a flat and wait. There are no bars and locks keeping you in, so why not go out and sit in a café, start up a conversation with someone? The Swedes may think you're nuts at first, but who cares. At least go and people watch rather than sitting alone.

I used to go and visit castles. Lots of tourists to chat to at least.

Hej FR, I agree I am not in prison but spending so much time alone does start to play with ones head, confidence and self worth!

I have walked around Stockholm so much I am fed up with it. I have gone to the movies, Art Galleries, Museum and coffee shops. As a YOUNG 32 year old I think I am intitled to work, even when I have been rejected from jobs that I have applied for I have more or less begged for them to take me on FREE! excuse is, insurance SO I GIVE UP! what does Sweden want from me?
+
Lala
post 25.Jan.2006, 12:34 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Mark Boy)
hej Lala, it appears that there are lots of jobs for nurses here but you definately need to be more than fluent with the language. Even working with elderly patients Swedish is a must as many don't speak that much English.

Sweden does treat it's nurses very well and like professionals both salary and promotional! UNLIKE the UK.

What field of nursing did you train in, I did adult and specialized in Accident and Emergency!

GOOD LUCK!

Cheers for the information Mark, I don't plan on moving for a while yet, not till my Swedish is much improved. Im an adult nurse too, working in critical care at the moment but wouldnt be averse to going back to the wards if I have to!

If you're starting job hunting in Edinburgh, try having a look at www.show.scot.nhs.uk/jobs, there are lots and lots of jobs listed there every week.
+
FR
post 25.Jan.2006, 05:37 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Mark Boy)
Hej FR, I agree I am not in prison but spending so much time alone does start to play with ones head, confidence and self worth!

I have walked around Stockholm so much I am fed up with it. I have gone to the movies, Art Galleries, Museum and coffee shops. As a YOUNG 32 year old I think I am intitled to work, even when I have been rejected from jobs that I have applied for I have more or less begged for them to take me on FREE! excuse is, insurance SO I GIVE UP! what does Sweden want from me?

So in all of those places, you didn't meet someone? I remember in NYC, the best was meeting people on the train. In a museum, you have a chance to comment about a painting or sculpture. Some people with think you're nuts, but some will be intrigued.

I also started a book club at one point in integrating into a community. I put up flyers and we met in a coffee shop.
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: