The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Stockholm versus London

*Gully Gull*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:18 PM
Post #16

Okay, well, at least part of own view, and I think you can only really be subjective about it:

Markbase, I think what you write is completely valid. I'm a city person, ahnds down... BUT I like to be able to feel I have a "handle" on that city, that it's manageable on a day to day basis.

My experience of London, both living and visiting, is/was that an inordinate amount of one's life is spent on trains and/or buses. And that's almost unavoidable. For all it's plusses, London is just too big, too busy. That makes everything feel like such an effort. It's wearing and I always feel a bit tense in London.

I don't want to live in a one horse dorp, but I don't actually feel the need to "discover" something new all the time. I want a city that has live music and other events but I also want a place that I can stroll around. I find that by contrast to London, Stockholm feels an extremely relaxing place to live in. It's just a gut feeling.
Go to the top of the page
+
etuna
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:19 PM
Post #17

[quote="Fredde"]However it should be added that from a fashion point of view I think the overall skill/taste is way better in Stockholm than in London.. if you like 2-3 styles.. in London you get see so many different ways that people express themselves in. quote]

is that not a good thing? Plus I think the architecture in London far outweighs Stockholm, both classic and contemporary. I respect your opinion of course.
In my opinion its a scale issue. In the London the bad things are much worse but the good things are...better.
+
*David OL*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:22 PM
Post #18

How can anybody compare a sprawling metropolis to a big country town?

It's a bit like comparing ice-cream and dog shit!
+
*Gully Gull*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:26 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (etuna)
Plus I think the architecture in London far outweighs Stockholm, both classic and contemporary. I respect your opinion of course.
In my opinion its a scale issue. In the London the bad things are much worse but the good things are...better.

I absolutely respect each to one's own, especially when it comes to personal taste.

For me, however, if I was compiling reasons to live somewhere, architecture would be so far down the list it wouldn't even register. I want an afffordable home where I know that I aren't indentured to working like crazy just to keep up the mortgage or rent, to feel safe, enjoy some music, sport and nature and being out with friends without spending half my life on public transport.
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:28 PM
Post #20

[quote="etuna"][quote=Fredde]However it should be added that from a fashion point of view I think the overall skill/taste is way better in Stockholm than in London.. if you like 2-3 styles.. in London you get see so many different ways that people express themselves in. quote]

is that not a good thing? Plus I think the architecture in London far outweighs Stockholm, both classic and contemporary. I respect your opinion of course.
In my opinion its a scale issue. In the London the bad things are much worse but the good things are...better.[/quote]

Etuna yeh I think the diverstiy of fashion styles in London is a good thing. However there are plenty of things in the local design aethetic that I cant relate to and thus prefer the homegrown stuff smile.gif

I think that, again, London's architecture is more diverse than Stockholms which is a merit and also a drawback as everything looks hodgepodge compared to some lovely parts of Stockholm. On the other hand sometimes I just love the mix and match feeling and thus get bored of Stockholms conformity. So I think we think alike smile.gif

In terms of family detached houses I think Stockholm beats London hands down. The architecture and aestetics are far superior in my opinion.

I agree with you that Stockholm is more lagom and is less extreme in both ends of the spectrum. London is either very cool or really bad with not much in between. Perhaps that is one of the alluring factors of the city.. you cant visit it and not be very passionate about it in one way or another.
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:29 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (David OL)

Dont let anyone call London dogshit ever again!
+
*Gully Gull*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:30 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (David OL)

If you bothered to read the top post, I didn't ask to compare, I asked which you would prefer to live in and why. Comparisons invaribly lie therein but that's not the point.

Are you so unnecessarily provocative in real life? :x
+
Amanda Cummins
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:34 PM
Post #23

Ive stayed in london once and stayed in stockholm once, must say they were both eye openers, but thoroughly enjoyed myself more in london. Way more interesting I found.
+
*David OL*
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:34 PM
Post #24

Ask yourself where you would want to live and for your reasons!

I certainly wouldn't want anyone at The Local having a major input into where I am going to live, buy a house, etc.

I'm actually not very provocative in real life, but find it difficult to write a serious reply to anyone who would base their future on what a few strangers write on a bulletin board! :?

:roll:
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:37 PM
Post #25

Asking questions never hurt anyone.. it is up the asking party to do with the answers as they please. Perhaps it is jumping to conclusions that a life decision should be based on solely the input from the board.
+
Straad
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:38 PM
Post #26

Stockholm would win easily in IMHO... Others complain about lack of choices there.. However having lived in London 12 years.. I found i was going to the same places to eat/drink/dance anyway.. It is the same anywhere you live, you will always find your habitat..
Nature and sea, sitting in a pavement cafe/bar by the sea in summer, Not many places in London by the Thames you can do that, unless you take out an overdraft !!!
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:42 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Fredde)
London is either very cool or really bad with not much in between.

Not so, dear Fredde. There's quite a bit in between. I worked at IKEA in London (not a big salary), rented an OK place with a fairly reasonable rent, and managed to go to the pub - or out & about - nearly every night of the week, if I felt like it. It's true that a lot of the "really cool" places were a bit pricey, but just knowing that there's ALWAYS something cool to do was reassuring, even if you couldn't afford it there & then.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:44 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Straad)
Stockholm would win easily in IMHO... Others complain about lack of choices there.. However having lived in London 12 years.. I found i was going to the same places to eat/drink/dance anyway.. It is the same anywhere you live, you will always find your habitat..
Nature and sea, sitting in a pavement cafe/bar by the sea in summer, Not many places in London by the Thames you can do that, unless you take out an overdraft !!!

Quite right, Straad. It just all depends on what you're into. I can't be bothered sitting by the sea, but some people enjoy/need it!

Mark Base
+
Fredde
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:50 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Markbase)
Not so, dear Fredde. There's quite a bit in between. I worked at IKEA in London (not a big salary), rented an OK place with a fairly reasonable rent, and managed to go to the pub - or out & about - nearly every night of the week, if I felt like it. It's true that a lot of the "really cool" places were a bit pricey, but just knowing that there's ALWAYS something cool to do was reassuring, even if you couldn't afford it there & then.

Mark Base

Agreed but I think that when it is done right it is done so very right if you understand me.
Even though I do think that London does not equate cool with expensive. Plenty of places that are "cool" are £0 on the door and if you boogie more than you drink it will be a cheap night smile.gif My student instincts of making a glass of wine last the whole night are strong. Boogie!
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 3.Feb.2006, 03:51 PM
Post #30

I can think of loads of places by the Thames where you can sit outside and drink at normal pub prices.
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: