The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6   Reply to this topic

Stockholm versus London

Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 7.Feb.2006, 10:17 AM
Post #76

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
I think that's inevitable though. Shops and places to go ARE quality of life for some people, so it's bound to be commented on.

Hear - hear, Humpers! Too right.

Really liked Beef's post as well. Good balance there.
Go to the top of the page
+
Andrew Robertson
post 7.Feb.2006, 11:57 AM
Post #77

QUOTE (Beef)
Hi There. After living in Stockholm nearly five years, just come across this site, believe it or not!

After reading this and many other threads with intrested. I'd like to offer an honest answer to Gully Gull's question.

Being from London and lived as a single career, party minded person, I can't think of anywhere better. Tons to do, full availability of alcohol, medicines etc... But almost most important for me, and I didn't realise at the time was people's determation to do well, none of this 25% skukskriven etc... People's politeness and generally good behaviour. Also the fact that people are not afraid to saw what they think and have real opinions about politics and morals which have not been nannied down to them by the government.

First 2 years in Stockholm, after getting over and getting used to the beauty, great public transport, etc began to get very frustrated with lack of real converstaion, opinions, the fact that people are only nice to people they know already and do not even acknowledge strangers, no eye contact, no "tack" when you step aside to let someone pass etc.. Was ready to pack up and leave (my wfie is also Swedish and felt exactly the same way) then our little one was born and it has changed everything. Weighing up pros and cons, there is almost no compition when you have a family, unless you have great wealth or great support in London, it has to be Stockholm every time. I still get frustrated with lack of basic services (like being sat in casulaty with a baby for a day then having nowhere to get your prescription afterwards, and believe me Gully Gull, that is something to make you want to pack up and leave, nothing makes you more pationate that when your child is involved).

Conclusion, no kids, career minded, London,
Family, Stockholm.

Indeed...this is a balanced appraisal I think. Sure...in certain ways Stockholm DOES deliver the quality of life basics which are essential but it's dead BORING. London does not deliver everything on the plate but challenges/stimulates and gives you the opportunity to make the best for yourself.

Also, it is international. You can walk round any corner even in the suburbs and meet people from all four corners of the globe. Even by British standards Londoners are considered unfriendly they are positively brimming with human warmth and fellowship compared to those bleak faced suicidal Stockholmers who's only refuge from the brutal regime they live under is a storkstark on a Friday night for 5 pounds a pint.

Give me London anyday of the week. I'd rather live in bloody Moscow than Stockholm...at least the Russians admit that their basically still commies.

Andrew xxx
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 7.Feb.2006, 11:58 AM
Post #78

You make me chuckle, mate.

Mark Base
http://www.markbase.net
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+
Andrew Robertson
post 7.Feb.2006, 12:14 PM
Post #79

Cheers man... I make me chuckle too.

Andrew xxx
+
Fredde
post 7.Feb.2006, 12:25 PM
Post #80

Just you wait Andrew smile.gif When you fall in love with the right woman then perhaps you will sing a different tune. You are in the party phase in your life and when the time comes your priorities change. When me and my wife discuss kids Sweden is the country we think about.

Now if I could only earn the same dosh in Sweden as I do here :~(
+

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: