The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Cost to Build a Kit home in Sweden

Total costs.

House123
post 2.Feb.2017, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Hej hej,

I am trying to get an average idea for what it costs to build a small, cheap kit-home to live in all year round in Sweden. It would be about 50km north of Stockholm.
House details below:

• Building labor and tool hire is free (i.e. I am not interested in this part of the cost)
  • House size would be about 90m2 with no Bedrooms. Just a bed on a mezzanine in the loft.
  • Downstairs floor-plan is just an open kitchen/lounge, and a bathroom/laundry in one corner.
  • Kit home price is under 400000Sek including all insulation and internal wardrobes/cupboards.

Mainly I want to know how much people expect it to cost to get the land ready. In this case lets take for-granted that the land is flat and easy to dig. Like I am building on a rock-free football oval. I know this is unrealistic, but my question does not relate to unexpected groundwork.

These are my Questions:

1. How much does it cost to clear for foundations?
  2. What is a good type of foundation for an all winter house (i.e. concrete thickness), and how much will this cost for 90m2?
  3. How much is a non-grid (septic), sewage system and the cost of digging in rock-free ground?
  4. How much to connect the water and electricity to street mains?
  5. How much is a decent hot water system for two people?
  6. What is a guess for plumbing costs?
  7. Can you set up a canister driven gas cooking system or is this unusual in Sweden?
  8. What are the other most significant costs that you've encountered?

I know this will all be vague and subjective, but I am interested in getting many different opinions and hearing others experiences. Feel free to link me to other threads or websites if you think it will help.

Thanks a Billion!
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 3.Feb.2017, 11:27 AM
Post #2

1. How much does it cost to clear for foundations?

Depends on the ground, and what type of foundation.

If you are scraping soil off rock and building a concrete wall round the edge to make a raised crawlspace on which you'll lay the floor, this may be the cheapest (this is the "torpargrund" method), but it has some risks. And you may need to blow some rocks away to make the space. If you are on marsh/weak soild and need to drive piles down to bedrock, then it can be expensive! You'll have to find out as part of the planning/permissions process.

2. What is a good type of foundation for an all winter house (i.e. concrete thickness), and how much will this cost for 90m2?

It is possible to put a concrete pad down (with insulation underneath), but you'd be better off discussing with a builder what is right.

3. How much is a non-grid (septic), sewage system and the cost of digging in rock-free ground?

Depends on how fancy a system you want. And what the local requirements are, you may not be allowed to have a system with any run-off, for example.

4. How much to connect the water and electricity to street mains?

The biggest cost is sewerage (if even available), this can be up to 200k or so. For the others, depends on how far it is, and if they are all year round etc.

Location and local planning rules are key here - you need to find a plot and then talk to the kommun about how much it might all cost. The answer is always going to be "more than you imagined".

5. How much is a decent hot water system for two people?

Depends on what solution you choose. A simple immersion heater is pretty cheap to install (say 10k) but expensive to run. A earth heatpump the opposite (000s of k), and air/water heatpump somewhere in the middle.

Even for a small house, you might want to consider integrating the heating and water. If you have the margins to install water-driven heating (from some kind of heat-pump) then I would consider that (say low-temp floor heating) but it is your choice!

It will be cheapest to install electric radiators and an immersion heater, but these will be the most expensive system to operate (and the least comfortable to live in).

If you install a wood-burner you have even more options.
  6. What is a guess for plumbing costs?
  7. Can you set up a canister driven gas cooking system or is this unusual in Sweden?

It is unusual, but not impossible.
  8. What are the other most significant costs that you've encountered?

People forget the cost of landscaping the garden / drive afterwards!
+
Sthlm83
post 3.Feb.2017, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Unless you're able to do this yourself, don't forget that you may also need help from an architect to draw up the documents (elevations etc.) to gain planning permission to build your house.

On a side note, you may want to consider building an "Attefallshus" on your property as well. These are 25sqm houses (max. build area) that you don't need a planning permission to build (as long as you follow some basic rules, like distance to neighboring properties etc. and that is built on a property where there's also a main structure). Depending on the location of your property of course, this could be a good source of extra income if you rent it out. There are plenty of companies who specialize in Attefallshus and other smaller structures.
+
Moosedog
post 3.Feb.2017, 06:49 PM
Post #4

HI I am currently having a house built in Värmland by a local builder (nyckel färdig) it is 137m2, with everything, including Bygglov,drilling for water and sewage and there won't be much change if any out of 3 million Kronor and that doesn't include the land
+
Bsmith
post 3.Feb.2017, 07:27 PM
Post #5

It is almost always cheaper to buy an existing home rather than build new unless there is significant remodeling to do. However you can reduce the cost of remodeling greatly if you can do a majority of the work yourself.
+
bonviveur
post 4.Feb.2017, 10:19 AM
Post #6

I would say buying existing house and doing complete renovation instead of building from scratch is the most cost effective way
+
yet another brit
post 6.Feb.2017, 11:53 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 4.Feb.2017, 10:19 AM) *
I would say buying existing house and doing complete renovation instead of building from scratch is the most cost effective way

Actually, it can be worse than that! Building a kit house far out in the countryside is more or less guaranteed to "lose" money, since the finished product is likely to worth less on the open market than you paid, so you shouldn't do it unless you intend to live there for a good while. The opposite is true if you build a kit house inside Stockholm/Göteborg etc, but then you have to find a plot...
+
House123
post 6.Feb.2017, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Thanks guys,

I have one main question: How much does a low/mid range architect cost to draw up plans for a simple 1,5 story house with a loft and maybe 3 bedrooms at 100m2.

Also, thanks so much for all the input, it has all been very informative, I will be sure to take head of all the good advice.

I have not yet put any money down. But my current plan is below, if anyone is interested, feel free to advise, or criticize my ideas.

• I looks like I can buy the plot, flatten/blast about 120m2 for the house, and connect the mains to the house area (including permanent street sewage removal) for about 500000.
  • I want to pay builders to build me an empty, wooden house with walls and a loft (just like the picture below).
  • The house that they build will have heating, 4 walls, 1 main bedroom downstairs, and a bathroom and Kitchen that is waterproofed but barely usable.

Here is my advantage:

• My father owns a construction company in Australia, and he is about to retire.
  • So we will build him an "Attefallshus" and he will be happy to live there, work for free and slowly build the interior of our house for a year or more until it is a fully finished home.
  • My idea is to use our expendable income (30000 per month) to pay for his expenses, and keep him constantly supplied with good quality materials to finish off the interior.
  • We would get a certified Swedish builder (or architect) to come in occasionally and sign off on the required quality control documentation.

Overall I am hoping that to draw (with an architect) and build (with a Swedish building company) a basically empty house with decent central heating (just like in the picture).

1. I am hoping that they can build this empty box house for under 1,000,000 sek.
  2. The land price, ground flattening and mains connection would be 500,000 sek.
  3. Total price for my "barely functional" (but livable) box house would be about 1,500,000 sek

What is everyone's thoughts on this, do people think this is a reasonable assessment. Or am I being to generous, or not generous enough? Kepp in mind I am only building a box, just like the attached picture. Also, I would be happy if I only had one heated bedroom in the box house, the rest of the house could remain cold for a while.

Thanks a tonne for the input!

Attached Image
+
Sthlm83
post 7.Feb.2017, 12:39 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (House123 @ 6.Feb.2017, 08:22 PM) *
Thanks guys,I have one main question: How much does a low/mid range architect cost to draw up plans for a simple 1,5 story house with a loft and maybe 3 bedrooms at 100m2. Als ... (show full quote)

I'm sorry I can't help you with any cost estimates, but for whatever it's worth, here's my input:

Re. attefallshus: one of the ground rules is that it's built on a plot where someone has there main accomodation so not sure what the rules are if there's just a shell of a house there which is still uninhabitable so to speak. Not saying it's impossible, but you need to look into that. And just to clarify, the attefallshus have max built area of 25 sqm but most people will have a sleeping loft so the total interior area could be more like 30 sqm.

Re. architect fee: no idea of cost, but one thought would be to contact architecture schools and see if they have any new graduates who might be interested in doing it for a small fee and gain some real world experience. KTH would be one school. Perhaps contact them and see what they say.

Re. "box house" build: it's not uncommon for people to build a house in a similar way you're planning. Some people will for example build a two story house with only the first floor livable at move in, and then fix the second floor themselves. Google "kataloghus" (literally "catalogue house") for different builders, but here's a useful link with a summary of builders in the meanwhile (sorted by 1,5 story houses) smile.gif http://www.hus.se/husmodeller/ Also this might be something in line with the model you're looking for http://www.arvesund.com/sv/alsen_115/ (the company also does attefallshus). I'm sure some of them (if not most) will be able to help you with this. They will probably also have all necessary document for planning permission ready as well as contacts/contracts with local prefered builders. Not sure if this is going the be more expensive or less after all is said and done though...

Re. your dad doing the work: remember that for electricity and pluming you will need a certified electrician/plummer doing the work (by law as well as for insurance requirements).

Good luck with everything!
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: