The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol?

Please settle an argument.

pendejo
post 29.Jun.2010, 08:42 PM
Post #1

I was having a discussion about this at work today.

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol while the car is being driven by a designated driver?

I think they are. Well?
Go to the top of the page
+
BillyB
post 29.Jun.2010, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Interesting question...i always assumed it was ok (in the UK)

America has the open alcohol carton rule thingy in a lot of states.
Meaning its illegal to have an open bottle, can etc of alcohol in a vehicle. So for sure its illegal in those states.

But Sweden?...if there is no definitive answer posted then maybe someone can ask a policeman tomorrow...if you can find one
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 30.Jun.2010, 01:36 AM
Post #3

Yes, passengers are allowed to drink.
In the past, I've hesitated - about to guzzle down a near-full half-litre of beer - before my non-drinking friends have told me that I can get in the car, as it's legal. And the drivers were people who really don't drink much at all, and are quite against any kind of public consumption.
Makes sense to me, anyway: if you get pulled over, the driver is breathalysed; who cares if the others are drunk? This is one area in which the Swedes have got things right.
Mobiles ("cells") though - oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...
+
Puffin
post 30.Jun.2010, 06:41 AM
Post #4

This is an interesting question

In Sweden it is generally illegal to drink in public unless on licenced premises
- drinking wine at a licenced cafe in the park = legal
- drinking wine at a picnic in the park = illegal

So drinking publicly in the car is a grey area - would definitely get the car pulled over if the police saw drinking
+
Rick Methven
post 30.Jun.2010, 07:11 AM
Post #5

With the low permitted blood alcohol level in Sweden, the driver may become over the limit from the fumes of the drinking passengers tongue.gif

So, if you are drinking while others are driving, KEEP THE WINDOWS OPEN. cool.gif
+
Fishtank
post 30.Jun.2010, 07:47 AM
Post #6

Markbase, welcome back to TL frenzy smile.gif
+
Rick Methven
post 30.Jun.2010, 08:08 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Markbase with an Invisible Q @ 30.Jun.2010, 02:36 AM) *
Yes, passengers are allowed to drink.In the past, I've hesitated - about to guzzle down a near-full half-litre of beer - before my non-drinking friends have told me that I ... (show full quote)

But do not try drinking on public transport.

A few years ago a group of us took a bus from Jokkmok to Gällivare and as it was the 55th birthday of one of the party we had a little sup. while sitting alone on the top deck. The driver heard us saying sköl, stopped the bus and told us to stop or get thrown off in the middle of nowhere tongue.gif
+
gplusa
post 30.Jun.2010, 08:45 AM
Post #8

Between Jokkmok and Gällivare ? That really is the middle of nowhere.
+
Puffin
post 30.Jun.2010, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Much of Sweden's alcohol regulation is devolved to kommuns so there can be different rules in different kommuns

For example some kommuns have prohibited alcohol on their property or land - so you might not be able to drink in the car in a komun owned car park - or komvux may not be able to hold a party where alcohol is served etc
+
DamnImmigrant
post 30.Jun.2010, 10:12 AM
Post #10

ABSOLUTELY LEGAL - even in a convertible with the top down!

Best example is the POWER MEET that is about to take place in Västerås. The POWER MEET is the mecca for OLD CAR enthusiasts (mostly American Muscle Cars). People bring their cars to Västerås from all over EUROPE, camp out for 3 days, party hearty and drive their cars through the streets and highways all around the area, drinking, singing and playing their music loud! (I've actually been able to memorize Sprinsteins "BORN IN THE USA") The big event occurs when a route is laid out through Västerås and the cars parade through the town and everybody lines the route to watch.

Why this buildup to the fact that passengers are LEGALLY able to drink? Because every (?nearly?) car has passengers who are drinking and/or drunk passengers. The Drivers are all sober.

I saw the police pull over a German car once but it was not for the drinking, it was because the passengers were throwing their empties out of the car and littering. (In the US we had to throw our empty cans and bottles out the widow because EVEN IF the driver was absolutely sober, the police would still give a ticket for "Open Bottle" - even if it was empty!) Ever notice how clean Sweden is?

The police ARE out in force during THE POWER MEET. Breathalyzer checkpoints ARE frequent. Traffic in parts of the city is so backed up that a normal 10 minute journey will take more than an hour.

Instead of having to pull cars over to test the drivers. The cops just stand in the road and give the driver the test, wait 3 - 5 minutes for the next car to pass - then the next. Nearly every car has open bottles and active drinking.

I agree with @MARKBASE "This is one area in which the Swedes have got things right."
+
Mr. Puppy
post 30.Jun.2010, 04:56 PM
Post #11

There was some kind of classic-car parade in my town last year and I was a bit shocked to see most of the passengers in all the cars drinking beer and cider. The shock was mainly because there are so many rules about alcohol here that I couldn't believe no Swedes have screamed "but intoxicated passengers are more likely to interfere with/distract the driver!' (which is true). So I'm not sure if this is one area where Sweden has it right, but at the same time I definitely enjoy any extra freedom I have here compared to my home country, because in most cases it's the other way around.

It was interesting to see all the Swedish white trash come into town from the hills they're usually hiding in. laugh.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 30.Jun.2010, 10:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Puffin @ 30.Jun.2010, 06:41 AM) *
This is an interesting questionIn Sweden it is generally illegal to drink in public unless on licenced premises- drinking wine at a licenced cafe in the park = legal- drinking ... (show full quote)

No, not a grey area at all. A car is NOT considered a public area and as such it is perfectly legal to drink as long as you are not operating the vehicle or interfering with the driver, the law is super clear about this.

Also, it is generally ALLOWED to drink in public but most kommuns have some EXCEPTIONS, such as specific parks. It is not illegal to drink on an unlicenced premise, it is only illegal to SERVE alcohol there.

To repeat, in general it is NOT illegal to have wine at a picnic at a park. If it is illegal there will be explicit signs saying so.
+
Arlay
post 30.Jun.2010, 11:41 PM
Post #13

Yes it is legal. They test the driver not the passengers. But you shoulnt just "OH HELLO POLICE, WE ALL DRINKS BEAR"..
+
Kieruk
post 2.Jul.2010, 10:14 AM
Post #14

I like drinking bear, but it is a bit hairy, and you better make sure it is asleep before you try!
I find the polar variety taste best, probably as they are pre chilled...
+
Rick Methven
post 2.Jul.2010, 10:48 AM
Post #15

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: