The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

English-speaking jobs in Umeå

Tips on what work is available

Kaz85V1
post 30.Apr.2009, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Hello, I would like some advise on living in Umea, would I be able to get a job as a non swedish speaking person? I would obviously take a Swedish course while im there. Are there any British pubs in Umea that would hire someone like me? Im desperate to get to Umea. If anyone knows of any British pubs in Umea could you give me the name and possibly a contact email or number? thanks,
Go to the top of the page
+
Kaylo
post 1.May.2009, 12:12 AM
Post #2

Kaz, have you been to Umeå before for a visit?
It is quite a small city, and in many ways is a university town. There are some pubs etc (one is a "British" pub) but I think it would generally be the expectation that staff can speak some Swedish too. The majority of the clientele would be Swedish of course...
Bear in mind that being a university town, there is an abundance of young students and fresh graduates who speak English almost as well as a native speaker and Swedish as well, so you may find yourself in a difficult position when competing for jobs. This is not to say that it would be impossible, but just to be aware that there may not be so many options as you would like.
Learning Swedish is through the usual channels of SFI or Folkuniversitet (or perhaps the University if you are eligible to enrol).
+
roch
post 1.May.2009, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Hej Kaylo! How are you??!!! Enjoying warmer climes?

Hi there OP,Kaylo is 100% correct in saying that because this is a university town all the general bar tending/waiting/ part time/ unskilled jobs are dominated by student employment.

I came here after saving for a year, and thank god I saved every single penny as I could not find ANY work for 1 year and 4 months after arriving here. I did the whole SFI thing and my Swedish is still very c*ap. It is indeed a lovely place, ( think of it more as a town than a city but they call themselves a city... ) Even now I have part time work that is not regular nor secure. But it involved a lot of sweat and tears to get what I have at the moment.

Are you coming here to study? Love interest? Are you EU or not? All of these factors are important. If you are NOT EU you do not qualify for any type of support at all even if you have not even a cent to your name for the first two years. If you are EU and you qualify for benefits in your home country then you MIGHT be eligible for something here. So if you are coming here for love then does your partner have work and can they support you with accommodation, food and transport until you get lucky finding work?
My Swedish partner had been out of work for a long time too, doing course after course and practical work experience after pratik... now he is training to be a electrician as there are just no jobs here and we hope that when he finishes in a year he will be able to gain employment. Many swedes are also losing there jobs up here with volvo in Umeå laying off quite a few and there are a few other big businesses (I can't think of their Swedish names at the moment sorry) that are doing the same... so there are many people looking for work but not enough jobs to go around.

I love Umeå but knowing what I now now... I wish that my Swedish partner had lived in one of the main cities as I would have been able to find work a lot easier. Going from a very well paid job and career to living on next to nothing living like a student (and I had hoped those days were well over!) and being rejected over and over again due to lack of Swedish language skills/not being a student/too qualified etc etc etc is a very humbling experience.
We are still only finding our feet 2 years down the track... Good luck with whatever you plan to do... but for us to help you we do need a tittle more information about your situation. smile.gif

** The one "British themed pub" that there is I think is now closed for remodelling or closed for good... I am not sure... anyway it was British in theme (food and drink) only... not in clientèle as everyone speaks Swedish, customers and staff. There are NO businesses here that operate just in english for english people as far as I know. Learning Swedish to get work is going to be the only way to go.
+
Kaz85V1
post 1.May.2009, 01:23 PM
Post #4

Hello both of you, Yes I have been to Umea before, Twice, my only reason for wanting to move is my girlfriend (or ex at the moment), who I met in London (im from London). She lived with me here for a while, but went to Umea because she got a new job and flat. Im thinking of studying but have no idea what to study at the moment, difficult decisions, my girl does work and has her own flat and would definately take up a Swedish course. But at the moment I feel like its a dead end for me.
+
roch
post 1.May.2009, 03:48 PM
Post #5

Well as you are from the EU then you don't have any visa dramas to worry about! While I lived in London I came here as much as I could for short visits for a year and a half before we made the decision that I would come here to Umeå... the trip to London here and back is not too bad compared to what it could be!

Do you work in London? Can you take an extended holiday and just come here for a little bit to see if you can find work? Or even more importantly see if things are going to work out with the girl in question? (As you say she is an ex at the moment... and I guess you would be moving into her space?...)
Is she Swedish? What does this girl do for work? Does she have any contacts that could potentially help you in getting work? Do not underestimate the contacts as often swedes ask their friends if they know anyone who is suitable for a job before advertising.. I have seen it... in fact one of the jobs I have was because someone I had met put my name forward in a casual conversation...

Don't give up, but be aware of the reality... because you are from the EU your options are far better than those that are not!

Good luck!
+
Bee
post 1.May.2009, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Lets get real here people! Your moving for your ex!! It's a tough move to Sweden which can take a long time to get things sorted. The language, work, etc. Your love needs to be tight, REAL tight to survive it. Without that, moving to Sweden without knowing Swedish and having no partner, sorry to say, BUT it's a NO!! If you really wanna move here , that way Umeå (as much as I love it. It's my fave place in Sweden) is not the place to do it on the off chance you might get back. I would move to Stockholm if I were you, where your chances of making it are better. Who knows after a year or two, when your Swedish is better and you are settled maybe you can then think of moving up north to Umeå. Lycka till
+
Furu
post 2.May.2009, 08:49 PM
Post #7

roch is the best person for advise about Umea.

i like it here but as stated finding work is really hard and absolutely everyone speaks fluent or better English.

lots of pubs in Umea. if you want to contact them (Corona and Epub at University) Rex, Harrys, OLearys in the city. These are the main ones I can recall.

good luck
+
red.king
post 30.May.2009, 10:42 PM
Post #8

Umeå is pretty, really nice town. But small small small. It took me 3 years of blood sweat and tears to get a job here before I moved. I got really lucky in that a company needed a person with a very specific skill set. My wages dropped from 175K Euro per year to the equivalent of 40K Euro per year.. I moved for love too, but I am a married man with two kids... Prepare for financial hardship and a long wait until you get a job. You will need really good Swedish and also you will need to stand out from the crowd in terms of qualifications and experience..

Best of luck
R
+
*AndyLeeds*
post 16.Jun.2009, 03:04 PM
Post #9

TC you say she is now an ex girlfriend?
Because this can complicate things, you can under EU regulations live in Sweden for 90 days, however you still need a residency permit to be able to work.

And for one of those you need to be able to prove you have a means of support here, such as living with your girlfriend.
You go through the usual channels and interviews, and certainly for me I found it to be a formality.
I have been here 8 years now have permanent residency status.

I think you really need to consider your options and reasses the situation, chasing an ex partner is not going to get you anything more than heartbreak.

Work is hard to find, Trust me, Ive been doing the same part time night work here for years now, and in the current economical climate where it seems everyone is suffering cutbacks, the market is not very promising.

As other posters have said, your priority needs to be to learn the language, as in any foreign country, beyond that a major city is your best chance at finding something. And even then it is not a certainty, a large percentage of Swedes speak and write better English that many do back home and English/American English is very ingrained in the culture here.

Good luck!
+
*manngnth*
post 29.Jun.2009, 01:35 PM
Post #10

free english speaking course provided by http://englishurban.blogspot.com
+
*biplobsau*
post 19.Oct.2010, 11:50 AM
Post #11

Hi..
I am Abu
I am badly needed a job in Umea...
What can I do ? please help me...
My mailing adress: biplobsau@gmail.com
+
Furu
post 19.Oct.2010, 12:02 PM
Post #12

Do you have a RP?
+
bravedave
post 19.Oct.2010, 01:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (roch @ 1.May.2009, 09:31 AM) *
Hi there OP,Kaylo is 100% correct in saying that because this is a university town all the general bar tending/waiting/ part time/ unskilled jobs are dominated by student employment.

Im sorry but you seem to have the common mans thinking here I take offence to your post.

One of the reasons why bartending jobs in Sweden are hard to find is because it IS a skilled job and there are a lot of people out there who are good at it. It is a proffession over here, we have unions and get paid over twice what you are paid in the UK.

You will find that most people who have bartending jobs have gone to barschool (not like in that shity new programme on tv4).

Can you recite hundreds of cocktails from the top of your head whilst serving 5 people at once in a crowded bar for hours on end without a break?

I agree that some bars differ and pulling a pint requires less ''skill'', but the industry I work in is by no means for people who lack skill, you would not last 2 mins in my bar without any bar brain.

To the OP.

Try the Bishops arms for a bar job. Failing that try the hostels. There are 2 and although it would not be full time work you could get away without speaking fluent swedish. Otherwise there is the hospital, I have met several people from the UK who have worked up in the hospital as trainees or extra hands, im not sure exactly what kinda program they have going on but it could be worth a ganders.

But go to SFI and increase your knowledge of the local lingo, it will make things much easier. The swedes in the north are not as continental than the swedes down here in Stockholm and therefore their english is not as good, though there are exceptions.
+
Mirrorman
post 19.Oct.2010, 01:43 PM
Post #14

lol. if desperate look for a bar job and then more highly skilled cleaner job. swedish bar jobs are a joke. at least the irish show some kind of skills with the customer.

try looking at the skandia anglais hotel in stockholm. thye take anyone on.
+
Lostaussie
post 19.Oct.2010, 01:59 PM
Post #15

Stay in the UK as your wasting your time chasing your Ex to Sweden. It can be really very difficult to establish yourself here and will take a major investment in time and money.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: