The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Forestry work in northern Sweden

Job options and availability

Ridd1
post 19.Aug.2009, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Hi

I was hoping some one may be able to help, I am in the forestry business and drive an articulated timber truck with onboard crane for loading etc, I wonder if a non swedish speaker could get this sort of job as I have loads of experience in the UK but none in Sweden. I am trying to find work before commiting to a move you see!!

Thanks a Lot
Go to the top of the page
+
Ridd1
post 17.Nov.2009, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Hi All

I am still struggling to find some companies, still really appreciate if anyone had any information to share!

smile.gif
biggrin.gif
+
Greg in Canada
post 17.Nov.2009, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Well, I'm sure you could find work in your field in Canada. Sorry I can't help you with Sweden. There are tons of posts on this forum from non Swedish speakers inquiring about jobs. The general consensus is that you can't find anything unless you have some sort of a speciality to offer and its a job where you don't have to speak to anyone very often. You probably don't have to speak that much Swedish in your occupation, but I'll bet it also depends on the economy. If the forestry industry is down then it might be tough. I've known people who work in forestry and when times are good they can't fill the jobs, but when its down, nobody is working. Good luck with it.
+
dsclimb
post 18.Nov.2009, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Are you a forwarder operator or the artic that transports to the mill?

A lot of people operate in teams, like the UK I suppose and they undertake contracts. Say 1 chopping, 1 forwarding. The mills often contract out the collection and they don't always use 'native' drivers. Swedish would obviously be useful to at least be able to communicate the different grades of wood that you will collect / deliver. As you will know people do occasional stack their timber in some strange places so direction would be good, or the ability to ask if there is room to turn around at the end of the track!

I think your best bet would be to contact the mills direct.
+
Puffin
post 18.Nov.2009, 10:47 AM
Post #5

You could contact Stora Enso which is I think - the largest foresty company in Sweden. You could also ask if they have subcontractors etc.
http://www.storaenso.com/wood-forest/stora...tillfallig.aspx
+
grahamkent
post 18.Nov.2009, 02:57 PM
Post #6

do you mean you drive a truck trailer combo or are you looking for work with a harvester or fowarder ?

where do you live ?
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 18.Nov.2009, 07:39 PM
Post #7

Stora Enso would certainly be a good bet. Others would be:

Södra - although unfortunately I've found that they employ a disturbingly high proportion of United fans.
Moelven – mostly west coast & Norway.
SCA – huge global company now – Swedish origins.
Swedwood – part of IKEAs concern.
Holmen
( all ".com" )

plus there are lots of privately owned forests in Sweden that hire forestry managers to run them such as:
Mellanskog (www.mellanskog.se)
Norra skogsägarna (www.norraskogsagarna.se)
their umbrella organisation LRF (lrf.se) may be worth a try.

The union ( http://www.skogstrafacket.org/ ) may be a good place to get some details about employment rates etc. as well as salaries.

You wouldn't have to go North-north to get a job if it didn't appeal – every one horse town south of Norrköping and north of Kalmar would also be a good bet to find a job.

A quick Google found this site (vakanser.se/tagg/skogsarbetare) with quite a few vacancies in Swedish. AMS (www.ams.se) would also be a good bet.

And finally something for the weekend http://www.skogssverige.se/foretag/medlemm...medlemstyp=Alla
+
tommycapes
post 18.Nov.2009, 08:55 PM
Post #8

have a look at gronajobb.se. they have a section for forestry jobs so i guess you could get a few contacts of that.
+
Ridd1
post 22.Nov.2009, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Thank you all so much for the replies, my skill is in the artic / truck and trailer combo with self loading crane. I have had forwarder work in the past but not for a couple of years...I was contemplating to try and get on a course from Valmet that utilises the simulator for some harvester experience as obviously this is a skill learned by experience and no one is going to let a novice loose with his most expensive equipment...

I am however open to all suggestions and offers in this field...

Thanks for all the links

AGR smile.gif
smile.gif
+
dsclimb
post 23.Nov.2009, 09:54 AM
Post #10

Just keep at it, network and just let everyone know you are out there. Get as many random forest skills as you can. I would never wish for another but, if a big storm hits then there isn't enough skilled people about when it comes to clearing trees from downed power and telephone lines. Granted it's not the work you are after, but it's a chance just to prove a willingness to graft and get into the clique.

After the last storm they were employing many germans and poles who said they could lift a chainsaw, many of them needed to be taken shopping for ppe and wet/winter weather clothes, they just weren't equipped for work in the woods.
+
Ridd1
post 18.Apr.2010, 08:23 PM
Post #11

I am still looking if anyone has any more helpful information, but no one said it was going to be easy finding work...
+
dondon
post 19.Apr.2010, 07:11 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Ridd1 @ 22.Nov.2009, 07:09 PM) *
Thank you all so much for the replies, my skill is in the artic / truck and trailer combo with self loading crane. I have had forwarder work in the past but not for a couple o ... (show full quote)

It's not much help, but I know there certainly used to be a large amount of forwarder work in Sweden. My father used to have a business importing forestry machinery from Sweden to the UK and I used to be a forwarder operator (a long time ago). I think he still 'dabbles' in it so I'll see if he knows anything.

I saw a Gremo the other day. It made me feel a bit nostalgic...
+
Ridd1
post 19.Apr.2010, 06:15 PM
Post #13

Thanks for that, its really difficult with the language barrier but we wont give up that easily. I have been contemplating just going back to truck driving and see if that yields any results...

Makes it all the better when it happens if you need to work hard and persevere to achieve something...

Thanks for your reply!!
+
Furu
post 19.Apr.2010, 06:20 PM
Post #14

You can contact this company.

http://www.komatsuforest.com/
+
Ridd1
post 21.Jun.2010, 03:24 PM
Post #15

Hi

Well I have just got back from a motorbike trip through Sweden, looks like truck driving is the way to go as the amount of log trucks on the road is very hopeful, also I see that they actually drop cranes in the laybys, I dont think they would be keen in doing that in the UK dry.gif

So for the original post, anyone got any ideas which companys to approach with regard to log truck driving jobs?, I did get a few details noted down of the trucks I saw when I could so will be chasing them up soonish!!

Thanks

A
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: