The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Norrland here we come, possibly, maybe, help!

Escaping the septic isle

mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Good afternoon, just a quick post in the hope of some help! I have been promising myself a move to the North for a while, getting myself and family out of the UK. I am looking to move my work over to the norrland region, have a few options of area such as Umea/Storuman/Lulea. The questions I need help with are...boring ones first, I have kids aged 3 and 7 so where are the best schools in the area, what level of swedish will they need? There is a chance of buying into a business, would that help with residency, ie trading/owning business? There's a starter...Thanks in advance..
Mahti AKA Jim
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 21.Feb.2010, 05:19 PM
Post #2

At the moment, the first thing you will need is a snowplough cool.gif
+
mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 05:24 PM
Post #3

I will just borrow one of the gritting trucks that the local UK council can't afford to put grit or fuel in laugh.gif
+
gplusa
post 21.Feb.2010, 05:36 PM
Post #4

No problems with snow up here. It's only those soft southerners who panic over it.
+
mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 05:43 PM
Post #5

This morning we woke up to four inches of snow, and it was pretty much as though the world had stopped, already had a call from one of my staff saying that they may not be able to get in work tomorrow...that's the English way!!!
+
Rick Methven
post 21.Feb.2010, 06:13 PM
Post #6

4 inches laugh.gif

This is what we 'soft southerners have today
Attached Image

I think my car is under there somewhere blink.gif
+
bobalong
post 21.Feb.2010, 06:53 PM
Post #7

4 inches of snow? We had that in less than an hour here yesterday! It makes me laugh when the Uk have snow. They know absolutely nothing about what a bad winter is but whine about a couple of inches and the fact is hit minus 5 a couple of times last month.

I am lucky enough to have a neighbour who owns a tractor who digs me out! I have a 100 meter driveway with a bus stop at the end of it and every time the damned snow plough comes the bugger buries the bottom of the drive. I had over 4 foot of snow this morning! There is no way I am using a shovel for that!

The snow season is only just beginning too!

If you move north just be prepared and do the research before the jump. Get all your info together before you go and you will find the move a lot easier. Contact the Kommun you want to go to and ask them to send you a list of schools in the area where you are thinking of going. Contact the schools and get as much info as you can from them.
+
Rick Methven
post 21.Feb.2010, 06:54 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (mahtitaikuri @ 21.Feb.2010, 04:13 PM) *
Good afternoon, just a quick post in the hope of some help! I have been promising myself a move to the North for a while, getting myself and family out of the UK. I am loo ... (show full quote)

Jim

There are a few people around who do live up in the frozen north who can give you tips on whats up there, but on a general basis:
1. Kids
Kids start school at 6/7 before that they go to pre-school - DAGIS. You normally put your kids into the closest one to where you live. Unlike in the UK, it is quite normal for 7/8 year olds to walk/cycle to school on their own or with friends. Mummy does not take them 500 yards in her Range Rover as in the UK laugh.gif

2 Residence

If you are an EU national then you do not need a residence permit. you just need to register and get an ID number. You need this to be able to open a bank account and register a company.

As to what business is best 'uuP North', I'll leave that to the softies up there.
As here in the South it is currently -18C and up in Lulea it is a mild -16 laugh.gif
+
bobalong
post 21.Feb.2010, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Rick, that picture looks so familiar! I see 100 foot of driveway that just looks like that! Its great! :-)
+
bobalong
post 21.Feb.2010, 07:05 PM
Post #10

As you are from the UK you do not need a residence permit as such, what you need is the right to stay for longer than 3 months and you get this from the Migrationsverket. It is a simple to get and mine was issued the same day I left my application at their office.

I opened a bank account without any Swedish ID or personnumber but this was 6 years ago and the rules might have changed by now.

The school you send your kids to depends on where you will live. My neighbour told me that it depends on the school boundary. I have neighbours either side of me who have kids and each set go to different schools as the boundary literally changes where our house is. Each set of kids get picked up by a different school minibus to take them to school as they live more than 6 miles away from the school.

As was said earlier, it is normal for kids to just walk or cycle to school if they are fairly close to it or to catch the local bus if there is one.
+
mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 07:13 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the responses, will contact the kommun. Anyone else on the forum within Norrland?
+
CTIDinÅrsta
post 21.Feb.2010, 07:45 PM
Post #12

Welcome mighty wizard! Your Finnish suggests you already have a Scandinavian connection.

Up north the winters are looooong.

For many people Sweden doesn't seem to be the easiest country to adapt to. I'm doubtful if it's a good move to make if you're moving away from something negative, much better to move to a positive.

But we definitely need more entrepreneurs!

If you're thinking of starting a business there I'd do quite a bit of research first: Umeå has a population of 100,000 in the kommun (area 2 317 km2) of which 25-30,000 are students. Luleå has 75,000 (area 2110 km2). Worth considering if your business model fits in with the local population (& pop density).

Avreage temperature in Umeå:
July-August: +14C, Jan-Feb: -8.5C not sure which is more depressing smile.gif

There is a business centre in Umeå:
Roland Carlsson +46 (0) 90-16 32 10, mobile: +46 (0) 70- 578 65 50
roland.carlson@umea.se

In Luleå you can try:
Pia Ramirez Måård
+46 (0) 920-379 01 mobile: +46(0)76-586 79 01
pia.ramirez-maard@entreprenorcentrumbd.se

There are basically two types of business in Sweden, if you start a company with shares you need 100k Swedish in capital. If you register as a sole trader you don't need the investment but you a personally liable for all and any debts and you can't differentiate between personal wealth and company assets.

Finally, if you want a comfortable lifestyle in Sweden then really both partners need to work. The system isn't really suited to single income families.
+
mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:01 PM
Post #13

I got rechristened Mahtitaikuri when I was over in sunny Rovaniemi, the locals liked my trade and my deranged way of doing things!!!!! I think sole trader is the way I was looking, will gather as much info as I can about the region, if anyone has anywhere they recommend as a place to stay, camping, hotels or whatever! I just need to come and test the water!!!
+
gplusa
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:04 PM
Post #14

I can't speak for Umeå, but I've been to Swedish language classes both in Boden and in Luleå. I started with day classes in Boden as soon as we arrived, and then switched to evening classes in Luleå when I started working. I found both schools to be well structured. Boden is a newer school, with slightly better resources. The Komvux school in Luleå is, I think, a former military accomodation building. The SFI school in Luleå is very specific in it's requirements for completion. The number of set tasks means that it's not possible to complete the course in 3 months, as some posters here from other towns have spoken of. The teaching staff insist that you have a good level of language before you get signed off. I had to complete around 20 written assignments, which took about a week each. Then sit a one hour written exam on each assignment. There were oral exams which had to be passed. There was a book to read and present. And there was the national exam also. All parts had to be completed to the teacher's satisfaction before you were signed out of the course as completed. The requirements were not so formal in Boden, so it obviously varies between kommuns. SFI gets a bit of a bad rap on here at times. Ironicly, some of the loudest voices are those who have never attended. But the quality does seem to vary between regions. Evening classes are infinitely better than day classes, in my opinion. Everyone in the evening class was either working or studying full time. So motivation levels, and participation levels, were much higher than I found during my stint in day courses.

Obviously the winters are harsher in the north than the south. But that means that the systems for dealing with the cold and snow are better. I think that, so far this winter, there has been one flight cancellation at Luleå airport, due to snow. And that was a Finn Air flight, which I don't really count. I drive every day up here, and I've never had the slightest bit of trouble getting around. Roads and paths are always clear. And, with the air being so much drier, there's little, if any, ice on the roads. I saw the back end of a Mercedes sticking out of the snow between Luleå and Boden yesterday. And that's the first I've seen in weeks. I guess the moral of that story was, Don't Buy German. Get good winter tyres and you'll never know the difference.

Not a huge amount of 4x4 trucks driving around the place. Not really a need for them for commuting. Which probably means that you'll be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. Should be a buyer's market. As someone else has already pointed out, check out the Blocket website.
+
HALE
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:05 PM
Post #15

And...here are my trampoline and cars. The beast is looking mighty impressive with his new hat!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: