The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Norrland here we come, possibly, maybe, help!

Escaping the septic isle

mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Looks like my kinda place!!!! cool.gif
There's never enough snow here!
Go to the top of the page
+
HALE
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:24 PM
Post #17

You can also put your kids in school the year they turn 6. ie. put them in with the Swedish kids who turn 7 that year. I did that with one of them and it worked out fine, otherwise they finish gymnasium the year they are 18 turning 19. It is an option you are allowed to take, sometimes they don't want you to but you have every right to do so.

Also, not really a case of best schools. There are a few private schools (publically funded) coming up but pretty much they just go into a swedish school, whatever one is closest to you. Your kids can do swedish as a second language all the way through to gymnasium if it is hard, but most adapt and will speak the language quicker than you. They usually put them through some intensive lessons for several months or even a year but they still go in the class with the other kids and do art/sport etc etc.
+
byke
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Just out of interest, what is it that makes Norrland appeal to you?
+
HALE
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:29 PM
Post #19

oh, and the pics of my car/trampoline are in the south of sweden...not north.
+
gplusa
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:33 PM
Post #20

I've got English friends up here who put their kids through the Swedish public school system. In Swedish, I might add. And they had no problems at all. They started out in an international class at first, focusing on language, and then moved into the mainstream Swedish classes as they were ready. A couple of them were younger, but one was a teenager, and she hasn't looked back since.
+
mahtitaikuri
post 21.Feb.2010, 08:57 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (byke @ 21.Feb.2010, 08:25 PM) *
Just out of interest, what is it that makes Norrland appeal to you?

Was recommended to check it out after meeting some Swedes over in Finland last year, I was looking at moving to Scotland originally, but I fancied escaping the UK. In essence what I am looking for is a place with some land I can grow produce on, and a sizeable workshop, the further north the better for skiing and sledding. So anywhere is pretty much an option. If you have any input that would be great, I definitely have to come over for a week or two just to check out the property situation. Thanks for your replies.
+
jim747
post 21.Feb.2010, 10:06 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (mahtitaikuri @ 21.Feb.2010, 07:13 PM) *
Thanks for the responses, will contact the kommun. Anyone else on the forum within Norrland?

Yep, me, and there are a couple of others from Umeå on the forum, but they don't always post.
+
senthil v
post 21.Feb.2010, 10:18 PM
Post #23

hey welcome to sweden,
to the best of my knowledge even if you are a e.u citizen, for you get the civic regis nr you need to show that you are an employee or employer or provider of services or having loads of cash on the bank to support you. check with skatteverket.

without this number you cannot open a bank account or register at the local clinic (vardcentral).
+
Rudyard
post 23.Feb.2010, 11:14 AM
Post #24

I left the UK and moved to Umeå last May to live with my girlfriend. I can tell you that the winter has seemed long and dark! However, I enjoy it up here. Plenty of snow for skiing etc and the place is generally far, far less densly populated than England. My biggest gripe has been the incessant assortment of mosquitoes, horseflies, midges etc that you get through the summer months out in the woodland (less of a problem in town). All in all, I'm happy here and very glad we made the move.

Oh, and hi to Jim. I met you and the rest of the ex-pat guys last year. It was a cracking evening - sorry I haven't been in touch since. I'd really appreciate another meet-up at some point for more beers etc.

Cheers, Richard
+
mahtitaikuri
post 24.Feb.2010, 08:09 PM
Post #25

Sounds like Scotland on steroids there!!! Booking a flight over coming to check out the North, cheers, Jim
+
jim747
post 26.Feb.2010, 10:31 AM
Post #26

We still meet up on a fairly regular basis, last time was around 3 weeks ago for someones birthday night. I know some of the lads are going to meet next wednesday in Allstars to watch some football, so if you are around your always welcome to pop by.
+
mahtitaikuri
post 28.Feb.2010, 07:18 PM
Post #27

Cheers guys, have a property to look at, going for a quick view in a couple of weeks, hope the snow clears up a bit!!!!!
+
*Iskrigare*
post 7.Apr.2010, 12:38 AM
Post #28

Hey guys,

I've just read this amazing thread about moving to Norrland.
Well it may sound a bit childish but without having been there
I fell in love with Norrland and I am looking for chances to make it there.
Right now I am planning a trip there for september.
Will be there for about 3 weeks and I'm interested in getting to know
some of you guys who already made it there.

Umeå sounds like a great place to start.

I'm looking forward to your replies, guys.

take care
Manuel
+
Greg in Canada
post 7.Apr.2010, 03:27 AM
Post #29

'the incessant assortment of mosquitoes, horseflies, midges etc'

LOL!! Nice to hear Canuks aren't the only ones who have to deal with this.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: