The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

What's going on in Jokkmokk at the moment?

I've become a webcam stalker...

Libellula
post 2.Feb.2011, 06:56 PM
Post #1

I discovered a list of swedish webcams on Google the other day, not all of them work but Jokkmokk main street was one that did.

http://www.jokkmokk.com/webcam/storgreal.asp

That's the link, market stalls seem to have appeared today and lots more people walking in the middle of the road. Is there going to be a festival?
Go to the top of the page
+
TheOneWhoTravels
post 2.Feb.2011, 07:13 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Libellula @ 2.Feb.2011, 06:56 PM) *
...market stalls seem to have appeared today and lots more people walking in the middle of the road. Is there going to be a festival?

I found the following infomtion on the internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokkmokk
"The Ájtte Museum of the Sami people in Jokkmokk hosts an annual 'winter market' which features traditional (Sámi) food and drink, crafts, live performances, and reindeer races. Temperatures during the festival can reach as low as -40°C."
+
Furu
post 2.Feb.2011, 07:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Libellula @ 2.Feb.2011, 06:56 PM) *
market stalls seem to have appeared today and lots more people walking in the middle of the road. Is there going to be a festival?

Annual Winter Market opens tomorrow.

http://www.jokkmokksmarknad.se/extdefault...;epslanguage=EN

http://www.jokkmokksmarknad.se/Filer/Markn...2011,%20eng.pdf
+
pacfactor
post 2.Feb.2011, 07:30 PM
Post #4

We live in Lulea, Going to the Market on Saturday!!! Going to try some Bear Sausages!!! Spew!!
+
Nemesis
post 2.Feb.2011, 08:12 PM
Post #5

What is life like in Luleå and Jokkmokk?

Is it friendly?

Is it possible to get a job?
+
Libellula
post 2.Feb.2011, 08:33 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the links Furu, so much going on. I think we want to make it our aim to be there next year.

"White van man" has parked, and erected a stall right in front of the web cam now, but I hope to be able to see
some of the festivities tomorrow, or maybe someone can put some clips on You Tube.
+
pacfactor
post 2.Feb.2011, 10:24 PM
Post #7

After living in Malmo, Linkoping & Orebro I have to say Lulea is the best!!
I have done the most amazing things since moving up here & met friends i will have forever.
Got a job straight away at SSAB Swedish steel, mostly because of my extensive mining/ processing background in Australia. Depends what you do i guess?
Jokkmokks Market is probably the only good thing about it, Its too small & remote for me.
+
Rick Methven
post 3.Feb.2011, 08:03 AM
Post #8

We stopped for a night in Jokkmokk a few years ago when we did the Inlandsbann trip. It is a really nice place and the Sami museum is fantastic.

We went to a restaurant about 3 km outside the town situated by the railway line and a lake. we sat there for about 4 hours eating great fish and smoked Reindeer all processed in his own smokery. really peaceful and beautiful. That was at midsommer of course, I expect you would freeze in 30 min at this time of year!!
+
JulieLou40
post 3.Feb.2011, 08:03 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (pacfactor @ 2.Feb.2011, 10:24 PM) *
After living in Malmo, Linkoping & Orebro I have to say Lulea is the best!!I have done the most amazing things since moving up here & met friends i will have f ... (show full quote)

My partner works there too. You should send me a PM some time. You might know him :-)
+
gplusa
post 3.Feb.2011, 08:18 AM
Post #10

The ren kebabs at the Jokkmokk market are worth the trip.
+
Libellula
post 3.Feb.2011, 01:01 PM
Post #11

Yummy, can't wait. It is amazing me that so many people are out and about, standing around chatting at minus 10 degrees, and that is quite warm for Jokkmokk I hear...they must have the right clothes. I have eperienced minus 25 in the high Alps, in good ski wear - but I can never understand what drove me to try and lick my ski pole!
+
pacfactor
post 3.Feb.2011, 02:50 PM
Post #12

Well your obviously a Skier & not very smart! Only us Snowboarders know that you get someone else to lick your ski pole!! Preferably a hot Swedish girl? Jokes!
Its going to be -27 on Saturday at the markets & that is the norm every yr!
Not to fussed on Rein or Moose for that matter but definatly up for a drink with the Sami people in the beer tent!! They are really cool.
+
TheOneWhoTravels
post 3.Feb.2011, 05:48 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (TheOneWhoTravels @ 2.Feb.2011, 07:13 PM) *
I found the following infomtion on the internet:

Whoops, I meant information. Sorry about the type-o. blink.gif
+
Libellula
post 3.Feb.2011, 10:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (pacfactor @ 3.Feb.2011, 02:50 PM) *
Well your obviously a Skier & not very smart! Only us Snowboarders know that you get someone else to lick your ski pole!! Preferably a hot Swedish girl? Jokes& ... (show full quote)

LOL Pacfactor !

I am old enough to remember when snowboarding was first called "snurfing" (early 70s),when someone brought one out to Flaine in the french alps where I was working - now I am only into skiing gently from bar to bar, the beer tents sound interesting.

I have my eye on one of those zimmer frames on skis - can't remember what they are called, I can have a basket on the front to carry the beer.
+
mikewhite
post 3.Feb.2011, 10:49 PM
Post #15

Can't imagine what a snowboarder would want with a ski pole: or maybe he should have two ?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: