The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Studded tires in winter

Are they required in the North?

jellybreadracer
post 22.Aug.2011, 01:47 PM
Post #1

I live in Umeå and I just purchased a car in the south and it came with non-studded winter tires. Do I need to buy studded winter tires? Is it foolish not to? Will be driving mostly in the city during wintertime.
Go to the top of the page
+
jamesblish
post 22.Aug.2011, 02:07 PM
Post #2

I would never drive without studded tires in the north. They might work in Skåne but not up there. Don't take that risk.
+
summo
post 22.Aug.2011, 02:12 PM
Post #3

not foolish, illegal.
+
Abe L
post 22.Aug.2011, 02:13 PM
Post #4

It's not really about where you mostly drive, if you think you will find yourself on unpaved roads that are not de-iced by the local kommun during the winter then you should get studded tires.

If you on the other hand have a four wheel drive car and only drive in cities and on highways, regular winter tires are more then fine.
+
mångk
post 22.Aug.2011, 02:40 PM
Post #5

This is a joke, right? unsure.gif

No studs, ice on the intersection. What happens next?
+
summo
post 22.Aug.2011, 03:05 PM
Post #6

it will also invalidate your insurance and endanger other road users/pedestrians. Won't matter by Xmas as your car will be in a ditch or wrapped around a street light by then.

Sorry, Im feeding the troll.
+
teslar
post 22.Aug.2011, 03:35 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (summo @ 22.Aug.2011, 02:12 PM) *
not foolish, illegal.

QUOTE (summo @ 22.Aug.2011, 03:05 PM) *
it will also invalidate your insurance

I'm not getting into the studded/stud-free discussion again but both of the above are simply wrong. Studs are not a legal requirement and never will be. Winter tires, on the other hand, are and the above comments apply if one drives without them.

There is a list of recognised (legal) winter tires, the majority of which are stud-free.
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Aug.2011, 03:57 PM
Post #8

Modern cars with front wheel drive and anti skid/Traction control systems can be better on dubbfri tyres.

Read the Vägverket article on the choice
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:01 PM
Post #9

As for the idea posed by some here that you MUST have studded tyres, this has been gone over every year the answer is NO

This is the regulations
+
mångk
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:02 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (teslar @ 22.Aug.2011, 04:35 PM) *
I'm not getting into the studded/stud-free discussion again but both of the above are simply wrong. Studs are not a legal requirement and never will be. Winter tires, on t ... (show full quote)

There is a reason most people use studded. See the test results (tested in Northern Sweden):

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=123

Here are two alternatives:

http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-tires/studded-snow-tires
+
jamesblish
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:27 PM
Post #11

The question is: why would you ever go for non-studded? What are you hoping to gain from that - lower noise levels in the car?
+
Johno
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:27 PM
Post #12

Just as its been covered before, and the (non Swedish) links above show, it depends on just what you will experience. Cleared roads, icy roads, loose snow, packed snow, ditto with an ice surface, mix of these. So why dont we just suggest to the op that he starts off with his winter tyres, assuming these have the minimum 5mm tread, and see how road conditions develop. There are conditions where non studded are fine if not better. But to do his research as to what (studded) tyres to change to if/when required. Also to know where to get them quickly to avoid hanging around as soon as he sees that they are a must.

But an obvious one, up there, how does the first snow coincide with the legal latest date for fitting winter tyres ? What do the locals do and what conditions are actually to be expected there, someone must know. Just curious.
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (mångk @ 22.Aug.2011, 05:02 PM) *
There is a reason most people use studded. See the test results (tested in Northern Sweden):http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=123Here are two alternativ ... (show full quote)

In actual fact more people are fitting dubbfri nowadays except in rural areas with untreated/ploughed roads. Any road that is a bus route will be cleaned of snow when the depth reaches 2 cm. Most will also be treated with sand/salt you then end up with standing water on the road which makes the studded tyres more dangerous.

But if you want to remain a dinosaur and drive your 4WD Chelsea tractor through the city, ripping up the roads which MY taxes will be used to repair...
+
mångk
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Johno @ 22.Aug.2011, 05:27 PM) *
Just as its been covered before, and the (non Swedish) links above show, it depends on just what you will experience. Cleared roads, icy roads, loose snow, packed snow, ditto ... (show full quote)

I agree (twice in one day?)! ohmy.gif

But if the OP doesn't have any experience driving on icy roads or hitting black ice it might be advisable to err on the side of caution. That is ultimately the OPs call!
+
Rick Methven
post 22.Aug.2011, 04:43 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Johno @ 22.Aug.2011, 05:27 PM) *
But an obvious one, up there, how does the first snow coincide with the legal latest date for fitting winter tyres ? And what conditions are actually to be expected there, som ... (show full quote)

The last date for fitting winter tyres is 1st December.

I always fitted my tyres first week in November. The last 2 winters, this has meant a rush to the tyre depot in the last week in October because he have had snow in late October. If we have a bad Autumn, I iuntend putting the winter wheels on in late September. If you have dubbed tyres you cannot change before 1st October and they must be off by 15th April
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: