The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

HELP! Abusive husband

Being stalked by my ex

post 21.Aug.2015, 09:43 PM
Post #1

Hi there,

So I married a Swedish citizen of Iranian descent (born in Iran), and lived with him in Stockholm for nearly a year and a half. Throughout my time in Sweden, he became increasingly verbally and emotionally abusive. I left him once and went back hoping things would get better. When things finally turned physical, I left him for good. Our divorce has been final since 16 June, but he will not leave my family and me alone. He has sent hundreds of harassing emails and texts, calls me, my family friends, my work, etc. He has had me followed by a private investigator and makes comments about my life that he would have no way of knowing as I do not participate in social media.

I'm sure his behavior constitutes stalking under the Swedish statutes, however I'm back in America and am having issues getting help from the Swedish police, as my level of Swedish is less than proficient. Is there anyone who can help me with this? I never reported my ex to the police because I didn't want to ruin his life or his reputation in Sweden. Now he is trying to ruin my life, my father's life (by trying to get him disbarred on false claims), and the lives of a few family friends.

He has also applied for an estate distributor, even though there is nothing to distribute. I got married right out of college and have no assets or money. He wouldn't even send me all my clothes, even though we agreed he would send them at my expense. I know he is using this process to cost me money I don't have, and to force me to come to Sweden so he can question me, berate me, and harass me. Does anyone know about the estate distribution process in Sweden? Do I need to be present at the hearing? The estate distributor won't respond to me, and he forwarded my emails to my ex-husand, which provoked him even further.

I would appreciate any help or knowledge I can get.
Go to the top of the page
post 22.Aug.2015, 11:00 AM
Post #2
Joined: 17.Jan.2011

Sorry to hear about your situation.
Is it not possible to talk to the police in English? If your Swedish is not good enough I suggest you don't even try to communicate in Swedish, stick to English.
114 14 - Telephone number to the Swedish Police

Ring 114 14 for all matters except for urgent help by the police. We are open for calls around the clock, seven days a week, all year round. We speak Swedish and English. If you are calling from abroad, ring +46 77 114 14 00.

there is a heap of info on their website in EN.
Apologies if you already read that and got nowhere.

Kvinnofridslinjen are also great.
It might not exactly be what you need now but they might be able to put you in contact with the right people or give some useful advice on what to do.
You can choose English language for their website too.

Did you find the info about "bodelning" on skatteverket's website and
Go to the top of the page
post 25.Aug.2015, 09:58 AM
Post #3
Location: Stockholm
Joined: 1.Jan.2014

QUOTE (sgibson90 @ 21.Aug.2015, 09:43 PM) *
I'm sure his behavior constitutes stalking under the Swedish statutes, however I'm back in America and am having issues getting help from the Swedish police, as my lev ... (show full quote)
Why are you trying to report this to the Swedish police, you are resident in America, just report it to the local police there and let them take the case further.
Go to the top of the page
post 25.Aug.2015, 02:16 PM
Post #4
Joined: 25.Jun.2009

Do not put your head in the sand and hope this problem will go away. This guy sounds dangerous.
Go to the top of the page
post 25.Aug.2015, 02:58 PM
Post #5
Joined: 5.Jul.2012

Perhaps a further point - change your e-mail address and even your e-mail service provider. Then he cannot disturb you that way at least.
Perhaps also you should have no further contact with anyone likely to forward your e-mails to him, in fact sever your ties completely with Sweden for your own safety.
Go to the top of the page
post 26.Apr.2016, 03:33 PM
Post #6
Joined: 8.Feb.2016

Call the police, in the US. Obtain a restraining order from the courts. Call the Swedish police, and have this legal restraining order applied also in Sweden to him. When he violates said order by contacting you or your family in anyway, call the police in Sweden with the evidence, and have him fined. Do this repeatedly everytime he violates said order, and eventually he will go to jail.

If you have any connections to Sweden, you can use a cheap family lawyer in Sweden to help you enforce this order.

Also report an breaches to the courts in the US.
Go to the top of the page
post 26.Apr.2016, 04:30 PM
Post #7
Joined: 25.Jun.2009

And stay away from "certain types of people who think women are chattel" in the future.
Go to the top of the page
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 21.Jan.2017, 12:47 AM
Post #8
Joined: 21.Dec.2006

And remember without supporting documentation you are lost...
Go to the top of the page

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: