The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

When to use indefinite or definite form

Noun gå på kurs or gå på skolan

Lydiayang1979
post 18.Jun.2014, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Hello everyone

I am confused the indefinite and definite form

For example

Indefinite form
G? p? bio, p? teater, p? konsert, p? kurs

Definite
G? till sjukhuset, v?rdcentralen, skolan, kyrkan

Why not g? p? kursen or g? p? skola?

Thank you
Go to the top of the page
+
gplusa
post 19.Jun.2014, 09:43 AM
Post #2

From what I remember from my schooling, you went "p?" if it was to a specific place which had one specific defined activity. Or to a specific activity, where the place is selfexplanatory. It didn't need any further explaining. Going "till" somewhere could be for a variety of reasons which you need to elaborate on in the conversation. Obviously that's a little simplistic with more than a few grey areas, but it is a good practical rule of thumb.
+
Hallander
post 19.Jun.2014, 10:01 AM
Post #3

The first rule when learning another language is to accept that there will be occasions that the other language does not seem logical compared to your first language. Thats how it is. Just accept them. And its often the common phrases that confuse.

Try Jag ?ker t?g or Jag ?ker bil as other examples.

And just to confuse, expressions like G? till s?ngs and G? till fots defy all logic. (Until someone explains they are from an old grammatical form, and only occur in such expressions).
+
Silberfüchschen
post 19.Jun.2014, 07:08 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Lydiayang1979 @ 18.Jun.2014, 10:53 AM) *
Why not g? p? kursen or g? p? skola?

If you are referring to a specific course, you could say "jag g?r p? kursen"? If you just want say that you are attending some unspecified course (or possibly several courses), you would say "jag g?r p? kurs"?

The second example is more tricky, since then one would say "jag g?r i skolan" (note the preposition) irrespective whether it is a specific school or not. I think you just have to learn these expressions on a case by case basis.
+
Hallander
post 19.Jun.2014, 07:59 PM
Post #5

More than likely, Sara has covered something like this at some time.

Check out her topics - there is lots there for both beginners and those like me who know quite a bit but still have stuff to learn.

http://www.thelocal.se/blogs/theswedishtea...hy-not-det-ord/
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: