The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6   Reply to this topic

Eating Animals- Book by Jonathan Foer

Good Book

MollyMoppett
post 10.Jan.2010, 01:30 PM
Post #76

QUOTE (HALE @ 10.Jan.2010, 09:46 AM) *
Kinhearted, not having a go at you but just a question.How do you view eggs from chickens or ducks that are not fertilised, also how do you view milk?Neither of these two prod ... (show full quote)
Go to the top of the page
+
Princess P
post 10.Jan.2010, 01:44 PM
Post #77

Mmmmmmmm. Burger.

Attached Image

The perfect sustenance when rehashing threads that died weeks ago.
+
MollyMoppett
post 10.Jan.2010, 02:00 PM
Post #78

QUOTE (HALE @ 10.Jan.2010, 09:46 AM) *
Kinhearted, not having a go at you but just a question.How do you view eggs from chickens or ducks that are not fertilised, also how do you view milk?Neither of these two prod ... (show full quote)

I think that most rational people accept that there is a better way of producing food and this isn't it. A trend towards food produced nearby is growing which is cool.
+
thetourist
post 10.Jan.2010, 05:05 PM
Post #79

QUOTE (thetourist @ 10.Jan.2010, 09:01 AM) *
Would you happen to have the name of that documentary HALE?

It wasn't a trick question Hale. Lol. I am interested in watching the documentary myself. I think you might be talking about "Our Daily Bread" and from what I've seen, many of these meat processing facilities are beyond disgusting...
+
HALE
post 10.Jan.2010, 06:19 PM
Post #80

The doco is called "Food Inc"
It also goes into the grain "soya" industry where soya beans have been genetically modified. The companies own the patents on them and force farmers who have natural grain to convert to the genetically modified grain. How they do this is that if they find a plant that has grown on any land ie. has come in off truck wheels or blown in from the farm next door then they sue the farmer with the natural grain with breach of patent. Even if the farmer argues that he did not plant it etc etc they have billions of dollars and the farmer goes bust.
Also if people talk out about the problems with the chickens, problems with the meat industry, problems with the grain industry there is a gag order on them and they end up sued "so no freedom of speech"
When recently SCAN foods and Swedish meats wanted to production farm and regulate the industry here, warning bells just went ding ding ding ding after watching this doco, you can really see what happens when corporations end up monopolising everything. It's a mess, I think the more we can support local farmers, farmers markets, local produce the better we are off health wise. FOOD INC a really good watch if you can get hold of it.
+
thetourist
post 10.Jan.2010, 06:47 PM
Post #81

Thanks HALE, I've heard really great things about that documentary too. I think way too many Americans don't have a clue about what we are really eating. Why? Because we don't want to know... Out of sight, out of mind. The powerful food lobby in Washington DC does everything in its power to deceive the American public in an effort to fully maximize Agribusiness profits. For me, it's not really a question of whether or not one chooses to live as a vegetarian, etc. It's more about understanding the methods these corporations use to line their own pockets while poisoning our food supply. I don't believe animal cruelty is even part of the equation for the corporations. Dirty business for sure...

Another great food documentary is called "Supersize Me." I haven't been to another fast food restaurant since watching it several years back. One thing is for sure, it's a real trick finding wholesome and healthy food in America these days.
+
HALE
post 10.Jan.2010, 06:56 PM
Post #82

No worries!
After watching this doco, you almost feel like going self sufficient, plant your own garden, grow your own food etc etc. but this is not possible for most people.
It is better to network and find places, people, farms in your own area that you can buy direct and as the old saying goes, "inspect the kitchen" in all these places from farmers with what chemicals, how they grow their produce, meat and veg.
As far as fast food goes...don't eat it either, haven't for years!

Q Why do the french eat escargo?

A Because they don't like fast food.. biggrin.gif .
+
thetourist
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:04 PM
Post #83

There is a rather large "organic" movement in the States and many Americans are informed and do have a strong desire to eat food free of pesticides and preservatives, and also want to treat livestock in a more humane manner. The problem is that these healthier and more humane alternatives are very expensive, and our recessionary economy makes many of these options out of reach for many people. Hopefully this will change in time.
+
Rick Methven
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:25 PM
Post #84

Over 40 years ago befor McDonalds and fast food, Dr Munro wrote a book on what we are putting in our bodies.

Most of so-called 'civilized' Mankind does not care what it puts into its body. It does not question what is good for it and does not have much of a clue about health or dietary aspects until the wheels start falling off. Then it has to apply itself and strive to undo the damage already done, most of which may take years to put right (though the expectation is that 3 pills a day for a week will fix everything - what grand delusion!). Most of modern mankind’s health is in serious decline before they reach their teens. The more physically active individuals will decline a little later. Thereafter they live in a state which Dr N. Munro so aptly called in the title of his book "MAN ALIVE YOU ARE HALF DEAD"

now several decades on have we learnt anything?
+
MollyMoppett
post 10.Jan.2010, 07:57 PM
Post #85

QUOTE (thetourist @ 10.Jan.2010, 07:04 PM) *
There is a rather large "organic" movement in the States and many Americans are informed and do have a strong desire to eat food free of pesticides and preservatives ... (show full quote)

It's not easy and most of the time, it's just about doing what you can, when you can. I shop at the Coop because out of all the supermarkets they support these issues the most - so when I'm not doing anything active, at least I'm doing that.
+
thetourist
post 10.Jan.2010, 08:50 PM
Post #86

Princess P's burger does look pretty damned tasty though... rolleyes.gif
+
MollyMoppett
post 10.Jan.2010, 11:51 PM
Post #87

and noone is saying don't eat it! smile.gif just think about what it is and where it came from and how it can be improved upon to have the least impact on both the environment and your health smile.gif
+
Princess P
post 11.Jan.2010, 12:34 PM
Post #88

One poster was.

The main point is about eating meat. Meat doesn't grow on a tree - you have to kill an animal to eat it. However well you have cared for your animal or however you kill it, you are taking a life against its will. Every living thing desires to live. The most wretched people in Africa desire to live - they do not wish to die, otherwise it is not very difficult to commit suicide. Even the smallest insect will start to run away the moment it senses danger - it doesn't want to die. And don't start the nonsense about animals killing other animals in nature - you are not an animal, you are an intelligent human being. And you have an alternative, wild animals don't. And don't tell me that a plant feels the same pain as a cow.

The cleverest, the richest, the fittest, or the best are always in a very small minority. How many jewellers are there on the high street and how many grocers? Whose wares have the higher value? The same applies to thought regarding the value of life. There is only a very small minority that has extended true kindness and respect for lower and weaker forms of life than his own. It takes the bravest of the brave and the strongest of the strong to control their taste buds and to be content with eating fruits and vegetables, grains and nuts. Its only those without a herd mentality who can achieve this.
+
MollyMoppett
post 11.Jan.2010, 08:16 PM
Post #89

hmmm...hmmmm...hmmmmm...what was that rant all obout exactly PP?? laugh.gif I think that even I would post a burger after that one!!!

i've said it once and i'll say it again, it's vegetarians that give us vegetarians a bad name!!! tongue.gif
+

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: