The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Applied for citizenship.

Need some advise.

Ben Moffat
post 8.Jul.2019, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Hello guys, long time lurker first time poster here.
Hope your all doing fine, so i have a little question that's been nagging me so i thought what better place to ask than my fellow english speaking people who live here in Sweden.

So i moved here in 2006 to live with the love of my life, and since that day have not left her side. When i first moved here i applied for "permanent uppehållstillstånd" and was granted a year at a time since there was kids involved in our relationship, after about 3 years they finally granted me "permanent uppehållstillstånd"
Now back then i was unemployed and having a very hard time adjusting to the Swedish way of living along with trying to learn the language. Either way they granted me it but due to finances we were not able to make it down to the office that time (we had been down before many a time for meetings etc) to have that sticker stamp thing they put in your passport, so we decided that we would take it the month after, long story short i put the letter away and we forgot all about the damn thing... i know...

Fast forward 13 years later and i decided to apply to become a Swedish Citizen. One of the questions was about permanent uppehållstillstånd which then it all came rushing back that we had never went down to them after recieving the letter that it was granted, so i clicked of course "yes" cause although i forgot about going down to them i was still granted it and have the letter.

Now my question is, will this hinder my application in any way? It was a stupid mistake made many years ago, and since then i have learned to speak and understand the language perfectly, gotten married, have had full time employment at the local hostpial and had a child with my wife. So apart from this little mishaps i have lead a good life here.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Ben
Go to the top of the page
+
Martian
post 9.Jul.2019, 07:01 AM
Post #2

You have nothing to worry about mate, as long as you have lead a good life in Sweden. Just be ready to wait for the longest possible time. I don't know how long it is currently but there is a bigger thread on citizenship here. You can ask any question that bothers you there.
+
skogsbo
post 9.Jul.2019, 07:10 AM
Post #3

It won't matter.

I arrived in 2011 and got permanent straight away. I've only ever had the letter, nothing else.

Last August I applied for citizenship, all done within a month. You've been here years, provided you have paid your tax, not defaulted on debt or accrued a criminal record, your case is quick and easy work for migration. Don't delay stick it in today!!
+
avar
post 9.Jul.2019, 08:12 AM
Post #4

Hmmm, does this mean both of you never went out of sweden ohmy.gif
I guess without residence permit card you cannot come back to Sweden?

But I agree that card is not directly related to citizenship application, as what matters is you have permanent right to residence in their system, and lived long enough, and not done anything strange (like being sentenced, fines, debt etc)
+
Ben Moffat
post 9.Jul.2019, 08:42 AM
Post #5

I have travelled back to my homeland (Scotland) over the 13 years i've been here to visit for a week here and there, but other than that i have lived here smile.gif
+
Ben Moffat
post 9.Jul.2019, 08:46 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 9.Jul.2019, 08:10 AM) *
It won't matter.I arrived in 2011 and got permanent straight away. I've only ever had the letter, nothing else.Last August I applied for citizenship, all done within a ... (show full quote)

I have never had any involvment with the police over here and always paid my taxes since getting job in Sweden at the local hospital so that shouldn't be a issue. I did however end up a bit of trouble with kronofogden many many years back through no fault of my own, but that has been resolved and dealt with and i now have a clean record of debt with a very high credit score so i hope that won't cause any issues. It was like 8 years back now that it was paid and removed from my record, but on my application i did click the box that said i had debt at kronofogden, but wrote in the extra information that it was many years ago and has been resolved.
+
skogsbo
post 9.Jul.2019, 12:22 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (avar @ 9.Jul.2019, 07:12 AM) *
Hmmm, does this mean both of you never went out of sweden ohmy.gif . I guess without residence permit card you cannot come back to Sweden?

If you have a passport from any eu country you can freely travel in and out of sweden.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: