The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Carpenter moving to Stockholm next year

A few questions to start....

Keith Lawler
post 12.Aug.2016, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Hi all.

I am planning on moving to Stockholm next year as my girlfriend moved out there this year.

I'm a fully qualified site carpenter with 9 years experience, all my own tools and a few questions!!
What to expect in wages? Hourly/Salary?
More importantly though, how do I go about getting into work? Do you go through an agency? Do you need to be self employed? Or do you need to apply to a contractor/sub contractor?

I'm currently a self employed sub contractor. 95% of the work I've undertaken has been through word of mouth as I live on a small island.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Keith Lawler
Go to the top of the page
+
Emerentia
post 12.Aug.2016, 09:47 PM
Post #2

A carpenter ("snickare") with 8 years experience earns about 25000 SEK per month (About 19 700 SEK after taxes)
http://www.lonestatistik.se/loner.asp/yrke/Snickare-1026

There is a shortage of carpenters in Sweden right now, so your chances of getting a job, might be quite good. Here are some companies looking for carpenters.
http://www.arbetsformedlingen.se/For-arbet...nickare)utl(1))

If you want to be self employed, then you probably need pretty good Swedish, to be able to make job estimates, contracts, and understand all kinds of bureacracy about taxes and so on.
+
Keith Lawler
post 13.Aug.2016, 07:25 AM
Post #3

Thank you ever so much! Best get my CV up to date!
Another thing I need to consider is power for tools as all of mine are either 240V or 110V. Will i need to reinvest? Or are there quite simple ways of conversion (adaptors etc)?
Purchasing a van is going to be high on the list of things to do as well, as I will have sold mine. Is there a good second hand market system in Sweden? Or is it as perilous as it is in the UK?

Thanks again in advance

Keith Lawler
+
yet another brit
post 13.Aug.2016, 08:33 AM
Post #4

240V UK tools will work fine. 110V converters (for US tools) are actually quite hard to find.

Also, US tools may not be CE marked, which *might* invalidate insurance if they caught fire etc (I recall we had this problem when we moved some lab equipment from the US to SE).

There is a market for 2nd hand vans - have a look at biltorget.se . You may find that they are a bit more expensive (but maybe a bit less dodgy) than in the UK. Note that the mileage on vehicles is usually given in "Swedish miles", ie units of 10 km.
+
Keith Lawler
post 13.Aug.2016, 06:46 PM
Post #5

Excellent! Thank you very much my friend
+
*mbrown9*
post 24.Nov.2016, 09:20 PM
Post #6

As a landscape gardener with similar ambitions this thread has been a good read, thank you
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: