The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to Sweden - Permit Query

Unsure of what to apply for

GarethNordic
post 15.Aug.2018, 02:08 PM
Post #1

Good day to everyone, I wonder who would be able help to assist me when it comes to this permanent residence permit. So my family wants to move to Sweden. My wife is a citizen, so is my daughter, I’m the only one who isn’t. The reason we want to move (in South Africa now), is that my daughter has Cerebral palsy, and there are no schools here that really help her. So I have tried to look up things on the Migrationsverket site, and have been a bit worried as well as confused. The main thing of concern, is obviously the applying from another country and waiting here while my wife and daughter go. So I don’t think any of us would handle the 13 month wait apart, but even more so, my daughter needs constant help with things and separating us is a no go on that basis. My question is can you apply when in Sweden. I know there is something regarding special bond but am not sure so I’m trying to understand what I could do. Could I get a temporary permit and get permanent residence at a later stage? Any help would be appreciated.
Go to the top of the page
+
wallace1837
post 15.Aug.2018, 03:54 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (GarethNordic @ 15.Aug.2018, 02:08 PM) *
Good day to everyone, I wonder who would be able help to assist me when it comes to this permanent residence permit. So my family wants to move to Sweden. My wife is a citizen ... (show full quote)

Go to another EU country. Sweden will make you wait closer to 2 years for a case like yours.
+
SmokerT69
post 15.Aug.2018, 04:39 PM
Post #3

You could always try and find a job and come on a work permit instead?

A little off topic, but since you're from SA. All the news I've seen lately has been very negative. I heard Russia and Australia are even taking refugees from SA. Just wanted to get your opinion on life there
+
GarethNordic
post 15.Aug.2018, 05:33 PM
Post #4

Well South Africa is not as bad as most people or papers make out, but it’s certainly no bed of roses. There was something about “land-grabs” but none of that has happened, but in 5 years who knows. And for my daughter there’s very little help. For therapies you can get medical aid to help but you pay a massive premium. So I think a better future lies elsewhere
+
SmokerT69
post 15.Aug.2018, 06:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (GarethNordic @ 15.Aug.2018, 06:33 PM) *
Well South Africa is not as bad as most people or papers make out, but it’s certainly no bed of roses. There was something about “land-grabs” but none of that has happen ... (show full quote)

The healthcare seems to be really good here. My daughter was born with kidney problems and was sick for the first year and a half. The doctors in Gävle were kind of shit, i mean, they weren't bad but they didn't communicate with us at all. They seemed to be understaffed as well. But we went to Uppsala for her surgery and they were amazing there. I was really impressed. In my country, the doctors are not so well trained. I had a personal doctor from South Africa and he was really good. He was also the surgeon for my regiment so he never charged me for appointments. He was in the SA army back in the day before he came there.

I wish you all the best. But, I myself have been waiting for close to 2 years now to get a residence permit. My wife and kids are Swedish and I'm a EU citizen. It seems to take a really long time. But if you already have a job, it seems to make things a lot easier.
+
GarethNordic
post 15.Aug.2018, 07:43 PM
Post #6

I think some doctors in South Africa as very good, but you have to have a lot of money to afford it. Thanks for the feedback, I’m going to see what I can do - the job route may be the way to go
+
wallace1837
post 15.Aug.2018, 08:17 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (GarethNordic @ 15.Aug.2018, 08:43 PM) *
I think some doctors in South Africa as very good, but you have to have a lot of money to afford it. Thanks for the feedback, I’m going to see what I can do - the job route may be the way to go

Work permit will work the first time, then they will deport you on fallacious reason. Check this out: migrationsverket deportation rage.
+
nicola4444
post 15.Aug.2018, 08:49 PM
Post #8

I would steer clear of the work permit route and go for the sambo visa instead.

Even if you don't get deported, you're looking at a very long wait time for the extension (similar to the initial waiting time you mentioned for the sambo visa - roughly a year, give or take a few months)

Also, you can try visiting Sweden with your wife and daughter, then switching your application to a inifran application - that way you can wait with your wife and daughter, but then it will be tough to leave and re-enter Sweden while you wait.
+
nicola4444
post 15.Aug.2018, 08:51 PM
Post #9

One more thing, if you were to go down the work permit route - I highly recommend you go with a certified employer (they are certified with Migrationsverket to take work immigrants). This should help lower the risk of you getting deported, and would reduce your waiting time. The waiting time for people applying to certified companies is roughly half the time for those applying for other companies.
+
GarethNordic
post 15.Aug.2018, 09:04 PM
Post #10

That inifran application sounds like a better bet than work. Even if it takes a while, the issue is to stay with my daughter as she is very dependent on both of us. Thanks for the reply
+
nicola4444
post 15.Aug.2018, 09:24 PM
Post #11

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...-in-Sweden.html

This section applies to you:
If you have or are expecting children in Sweden

Also the Inifran Facebook group might worth a read to see other people's experiences.

Good luck!
+
GarethNordic
post 16.Aug.2018, 07:27 AM
Post #12

Thanks so much for you help! Will have a look into that ASAP
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: