The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

Ever been tempted to quit job in dramatic style?

Scream abuse, grab booze and leave?

SarahRF
post 11.Aug.2010, 07:12 AM
Post #16

If I ever have to quit a job (gotta get one first, I suppose), I'm going to do something along the lines of that girl with the whiteboard. That is just too amazing to ignore.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 11.Aug.2010, 07:17 AM
Post #17

Good point, countrysid.

To really get back at your boss - what I believe Slater really accomplished - it must be a retirement plan which works without making you look like a revenge-seeking nobody or a drama queen engaging in make-believe.

I think that I accomplished this when I forced my retirement at Holy Cross College in March 1986.

My employers didn't know what to do with me as I was gaining much more play and success outside the college than within it.Three times I had applied to be promoted to full professor and each time my colleagues, none of whom were full professors, shot down my application, making it impossible for the college committee determining same to overrule them.

Finally, when I had my biography A. V. Dicey published by Barry Rose which volunteered on the title page that I was a Professor of Political Science, the chairman asked if I wanted to apply again, and I said that I didn't because the people who really mattered thought that I was already one. Furthermore, a leading light on the promotion committee - a historian whose leading student, Professor Richard Cosgrove, who had written a completely predictable biography of Dicey, and had made known his negative thoughts about my effort in a review of my book in the College's alumni publication, Crossroads - was bound to shoot down any new application

At the same time, a junior colleague who hoped to take my place asked, after he had arranged for me to give a lecture to the Navy ROTC candidates about my conspiracy theory about the JFK assassinatiobn, if I was interested in applying for early retirement. I suspect that he thought I would hit the overhead over the suggestion, but I expressed a great interest in it. The colleague was very popular with everyone, so any outrage expressed by me would be known by everyone in a matter of hours, helping justify another refusal of any application.

Then the whole matter seemed to die, forcing me to ask the junior colleague what had happened to the early retirement plan, urging him to see that it went ahead, and it did.

Subsequently, the guy who took my place died suddenly, apparently from an overdose. And I took out my revenge when I taught a politics course at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven - for which colleagues had urged my hiring - making it the most off-beat introduction to political science ever taught. Needless to say, I was not asked to repeat it. laugh.gif

Actually, I was already in the process of moving to Portugal.
+
texaslass
post 11.Aug.2010, 02:39 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Trowbridge H. Ford @ 10.Aug.2010, 12:55 PM) *
Loved what this steward did. I didn't appreciate, though, all the censorship the media have engaged in while reporting the story. He must have said some choice bits - wh ... (show full quote)

Actually some papers in the US reported what he said. He said, " to the passenger who called me a motherfXcker, fXck you! I have worked in this business for over 20 years, I am am sick of it. Those of you who have shown dignity and respect these last 20 years, thanks for a great ride."
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 11.Aug.2010, 09:45 PM
Post #19

Contest @ Gawker.

Some of the entries are damn hi-lar-i-ous.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: