The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

BBQ on balcony

Donny
post 18.May.2008, 02:01 PM
Post #1

I live in a apartment bottom floor of a two level apartment block i.e one set of neigbours above me. I was wondering if there is any rules for having a bbq on the balcony. I few neigbours walked passed with staring eyes like we were doing something wrong? people smoke on their balconys?

thanks for any replys!
Go to the top of the page
+
Princess P
post 18.May.2008, 02:17 PM
Post #2

I don't know if there are rules or not, but if not, I can't see a problem. But I would recommend that you tell your upstairs neighbour before. They might, understandably be a bit miffed if they put their washing out to dry and bring it in stinking of sausages.
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 18.May.2008, 02:23 PM
Post #3

Most landlords and "bostadrättsföreningar" have rules against BBQs on the balcony and terrace. It's probably mentioned in your contract. If not, phone them and ask!
+
AussieMel
post 18.May.2008, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Like Sofia said it is usually against the rules in most apartments however there can sometimes be exceptions if, for example, you live on the top floor or on the bottom and you put put the BBQ "out" a bit. Main reasons for the rule is fire risk and also that the smoke might bother the neighbours.

I think it does suck a bit though. I miss having a BBQ and who doesn't love the smell of grilling?
+
Alma
post 18.May.2008, 04:10 PM
Post #5

As a third floor person, I must say here, thank God for the rules on BBQing.
One sunny summer afternoon, I cleaned my house, had some friends over. I opened my windows, and balcony door, so the fresh air comes in, and also to enjoy my flowers, that really did well last summer. Anyhow, out of nowhere the smoke starts entering my room. I was totally baffled, thinking, oh no, there must be a fire in the building.

I peaked out to see, and sure enough, the neighbor living right below, was BBQing on the balcony :shock: . My first reaction was, how rude! One needs not to be a rocket scientist to understand that fat does drip from the meat you bbq onto the fire, and yup, this creates smoke. Add a little wind breeze to this, and you are sending this smoke right into the apartments above you.

The incident did not happen again, and stopped shortly after, but my intention was to talk to the neighbor first, and then, if this didn't work, I would had reported her to eco police.

So please people, BBQ outside in a dedicated place for this, or buy a house! Do not do this to your neighbors!!! It really sucks.
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 19.May.2008, 09:35 AM
Post #6

BBQ's on balconies are not allowed, as they can be a fire hazard.

If your neighbour is a real fjucker, they can call the Fire Brigade upon seeing smoke and you can be billed for the callout.

Sad, but true...
+
*Trowbridge H. Ford*
post 19.May.2008, 09:52 AM
Post #7

I agree, Alma.

The only thing I would add is that it is still a problem if you live in a house, especially a row one. All kinds of crap blow in our house when one starts one nearby on a windy day, so be alert to conditions and careful about what material you use in starting the fire. Paper of any sort can be a real menance.
+
freezebtn
post 19.May.2008, 10:37 AM
Post #8

Its not exactly hard to find a patch of grass in Sweden, why would you want to bbq on your balcony? Especially when in most flats the balcony is about 2x1 meters.
+
Allseeingeye
post 19.May.2008, 11:05 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Donny)
I live in a apartment bottom floor of a two level apartment block i.e one set of neigbours above me. I was wondering if there is any rules for having a bbq on the balcony. I few neigbours walked passed with staring eyes like we were doing something wrong? people smoke on their balconys?

thanks for any replys!

Yep, we have the same rule most people have mentioned (ie only top floor balconies can have BBQ on them). But as Donny points out, why is it OK to smoke on the balcony? We live on the top floor and get everybody's smoke wafting in which really p1sses me off. I'd rather have the smell of BBQ.

I guess the reason is that smokers don't want the smoke in THEIR apartments, but much prefer for the rest of us to have it. Selfish Fvckers. I suppose if you give so little a sh1t about yourself, then you're going to give even less of a sh1t about anyone else.
+
freezebtn
post 19.May.2008, 11:07 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Allseeingeye)
Yep, we have the same rule most people have mentioned (ie only top floor balconies can have BBQ on them). But as Donny points out, why is it OK to smoke on the balcony? We live on the top floor and get everybody's smoke wafting in which really p1sses me off. I'd rather have the smell of BBQ.

I guess the reason is that smokers don't want the smoke in THEIR apartments, but much prefer for the rest of us to have it. Selfish Fvckers. I suppose if you give so little a sh1t about yourself, then you're going to give even less of a sh1t about anyone else.

Im not a smoker so Im not defending them, but how can you compare having a fag on the balcony to having a bbq, its complete nonsense.
+
Miss Kitten
post 19.May.2008, 11:37 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (freezebtn)
Im not a smoker so Im not defending them, but how can you compare having a fag on the balcony to having a bbq, its complete nonsense.

I agree, and I'd also add if you choose to live in an apartment then you have to come to terms with the fact that your neighbors will produce sounds and smells that you may not like, but that you have to tolerate. It's part of apartment living. My upstairs neighbor plays music very loudly, but that doesn't bother me per se. What bothers me is that my upstairs neighbor plays James Blunt very loudly, which is much more annoying than my downstairs neighbor's cigarette smoke coming in my kitchen window.

However, a barbecue produces more smoke than one's neighbors should be expected to tolerate.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 19.May.2008, 11:42 AM
Post #12

A tiny plume of cigarette smoke lasting less than 5 minutes is not at all comparable to a barbequeue. The playing of James Blunt, at all let alone loudly, should be punishable by summary Taliban-style street execution.
+
Miss Kitten
post 19.May.2008, 11:45 AM
Post #13

Exactly, Humpers. How anyone could enjoy James Blunt so much that they want to play it at that volume is beyond my comprehension. When it happens the Swede usually counterattacks with Slayer or Children of Bodom. laugh.gif
+
Sofia_stockholm
post 19.May.2008, 11:47 AM
Post #14

Could be worse... it could be Radiohead
wink.gif
+
ob
post 19.May.2008, 11:59 AM
Post #15

Stink bombs are very useful devices when one has chain- smoking neighbours who sit out on their balconies all day.

Windows stay shut and the balcony remains out of bounds but the inconvenience for the non-smoker is the same, for the smoker - they receive a taste of their own medicine.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: